• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Malwa vs Doaba bhangra

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Sorry if this has been posted before. Once in a while I'll randomly wonder what the difference is between the two. Is it like saying Toronto bhangra and Norcal Bhangra? Is it a difference in styles? If so, maybe Im not watching these videos hard enough because I only see subtle differences if any. I cannot distinguish between Malwa and Doaba bhangra. Any input, insight, comments, etc are greatly appreciated.

ENVY BANG-RUH

Let the music move you!!!!!
Jabar Jung said:
I am pretty sure their boliyan would be different in style and accent :D
I wouldn't say accent, more like the words themselves. Im a mix, mom's malwai and dad's doaba. It's just the words are spoken a bit differently, I haven't caught any changes in accent.

Edit: Dad was (RIP), dad's side is doaba.

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Ok, I was kinda looking more at the actual dance elements. From my knowledge, I believe sadhar college is a malwa bhangra team and they are one of the few teams that I've noticed that has very distinct ways of execution in some of their segments. However, when I see these moves done by other teams, I say "oh ok thats definitely a sadhar bhangra move". When i say that, do I really mean thats malwa and I just don't know it? Mind boggling.

Manjot

Just two different regions, there is no difference in bhangra style/moves from what I know...just some boliyaans they say "malwe de jatt...doabe de jatt" etc. Other then that its just team styles basically.

My fav Malwa Team: GGN Khalsa College Ludhiana! :D

Gugu

There are subtle differences in the way bhangra is done by teams in these regions. One example is the way Mirza is done. Doaba teams usually do it with hands in front during their chaal (similar to how SGPD does it), and malwa teams usually do it pulling the arms in (sorta like chicken dance lol, similar to Gabroo Shokeen and Heeray)... There are other differences in the bhangra itself, but mainly just in the boliyan.

ajay

There is not any different between bhangra at all. Lok boliyan are the same too cuz there cant be two mirzay or dullay etc. Like you wud mention ur teams name on stage by saying its name, watever the name, they use to or some still do mention their areas like doaba, malwa, or Mazza in the boliyan. I am from doaba, but malwa is more into bhangra and gidha than any other parts of punjab. Of course they have malwai gidha too.

aman dhaliwal

i remember cheema pajji( coach of ggn khalsa and gadvasu) telling us that malwa bhangra has heavier faster sets then doaba and majha side....doaba and majha have more of fancy type of sets that dont require as much stamina...like u can clearly tell that ggn and suhdar have heavier sets then the doaba and majha sides... go ahead and compare for urslef.....malwa is more folk also

Manjot

aman dhaliwal said:
i remember cheema pajji( coach of ggn khalsa and gadvasu) telling us that malwa bhangra has heavier faster sets then doaba and majha side....doaba and majha have more of fancy type of sets that dont require as much stamina...like u can clearly tell that ggn and suhdar have heavier sets then the doaba and majha sides... go ahead and compare for urslef.....malwa is more folk also
+1 for Malwa!

jeevan

actually, boli vich vi farak hunda...
for ex-

a doaban would say "ki karan deya?"

a malwai would say "ki karda?"

gifty

jeevan said:
for ex-

hmm a doaba would not say "Ki Karan Diyan" Thats Majha...aka Papah Talk....

Jabar Jung

gifty said:
jeevan said:
for ex-

Umm no, he is right, doaba side includes jallandhar area, they talk hardcore like that. Malwe say "wa" ex: Aida karna wa. Go Pappi Gill :)

And no, that's not "bhappah talk"...

gifty

Jabar Jung said:
gifty said:
jeevan said:
for ex-

Umm no, he is right, doaba side includes jallandhar, amritsar area, they talk hardcore like that. Majhe do not say diya, but they do say "ta" for example: Mein aithe giya ta. Malwe say "wa" ex: Aida karna wa. Go Pappi Gill :)

And no, that's not "bhappah talk"...
Amritsar from Doaba? Are you sure?????? You might want to do your research again bro..

Doaba--
Jalandhar
Kapurthala
Hushairpur
Nawa Pind

Malwa
Moga
Ludiana
Firetkot (sp?)

Majha
Gurdaspur
Amritsar
etc...

Majha infact do say...Meh Kam Karan Diyan....Smalhi said it herself, she is from Majha i suppose

Jabar Jung

faizan said:
wouldn't they say mein aithe gaya si?
I am pretty sure Doaba, Majha, Malwa, Puadh side say si. "si" is past tense. "wa" is present or future (Malwa) Just like "ah", ki haal "ah" tera.

I am sorry gifty, i should do my research :D, cause when i go to my nanke, i use to pass jallandar and then go to my nanake, so i thought that whole are was Doaba. My bad :D I shall edit, thanks.

What part includes Patiala?

Puadh for the win :D, go Chandigarh :)

Gugu

Add Patiala to Malwa, actually consists of 11/20 districts in Punjab.

And let's stop these "____ region for the win" comments. It's unnecessary, no region is "better" than the other, it's just gonna start a dumb argument here.