New teams, style, and having some class

Ashveer

@ranikaur90 you clearly created an account to bash a team. If they think they're good enough to be on the national level, they'll wake up to the reality that they're not getting into the "top tier" comps. If they don't read BTF, then why are you offering prescriptive advice? Its not like everyone on a team thinks the same way. Moreover, college teams can only sustain the approach of one captain for so long until they come undone...just be honest about your vendetta.

@Hartej suchee? I apologize if this comes from a perspective of arrogance but I danced for the last 4 years on a team that has reached notoriety both in and out of the bhangra circuit, and I just came back from a practice of the UChicago Bhangra Team. I saw a girl who moved here from Delhi and is over the moon about being able to represent her culture to her university and its community. I also saw a girl who is 'white' by upbringing, but loves Punjabi culture to the point where she will defer her courseload to do something she's passionate about, even though it might not be 'correct' or 'OMGGGGGFOLKFOLKFOLKFOLKBHANGRA" perspective that so many BTF-ers and apparently you also take. I'm using my marginalized perspective, but I've been around the scene for a few years and I think way more than a simple "omg I was bored hehe" is in order. For many people in disparate milieus 'bhangra' isn't something that they do when they are bored and on Youtube, its something they identify themselves with and is an important part of their experience as young adults. To delegitimize their efforts (and RaniKaur90 does this because she denies agency to dancers who might have to defer to their captains) is...pretty shitty.

punjabireans

I think it's great that new teams are forming and trying to learn about bhangra but also adding their own style to it and just going out there to perform not necessarily to compete or win. Just because a team isn't traditional doesn't make them any lesser - they're still working hard, practicing and doing the best they can to do something they love and enjoy! At the end of the day that's why we all dance!

ranikaur90

@Ashveer Trust me, I did not just make an account to "bash" on them. and like I said in my previous post I only want their team to get better so they can better represent the midwest bhangra scene.I just wanted to give my opinion on something that has been bothering me about this particular team, and someone happened to post about them. I'm sure not everyone on the team thinks the same way, but like I said when a team as an overall maintains a mentality of superiority over other teams, then how are they supposed to get better? I think the leadership of this team is changing in the coming year and most likely this will bring more improvement to the team, but I am by no means saying that all members on the team feel as if they don't need improvement.
Also, I am definitely not "delegitimizing" their efforts at all! I know what it's like to be on a new dance team (not a bhangra team, but a dance team nonetheless) and what it's like to to give up everything around you for it. my main point in that entire post was that teams should be open to constructive criticism, otherwise there's no way they'll improve. no one is trying to bash anyone, just wanted to make that clear.

gifty

ranikaur90 said:
@Ashveer Trust me, I did not just make an account to "bash" on them. and like I said in my previous post I only want their team to get better so they can better represent the midwest bhangra scene.I just wanted to give my opinion on something that has been bothering me about this particular team, and someone happened to post about them. I'm sure not everyone on the team thinks the same way, but like I said when a team as an overall maintains a mentality of superiority over other teams, then how are they supposed to get better? I think the leadership of this team is changing in the coming year and most likely this will bring more improvement to the team, but I am by no means saying that all members on the team feel as if they don't need improvement.
Also, I am definitely not "delegitimizing" their efforts at all! I know what it's like to be on a new dance team (not a bhangra team, but a dance team nonetheless) and what it's like to to give up everything around you for it. my main point in that entire post was that teams should be open to constructive criticism, otherwise there's no way they'll improve. no one is trying to bash anyone, just wanted to make that clear.
You dance like shit, and will never improve... Sorry not trying to offend you........

^^^^
Thats how your last statement sounds....

Both your posts are regarding that team.... and how they are cocky and arrogant....

again....

DID YOU NOT READ WHAT THE OP STATED? ???

vmural2

@ Hartej
and
@ ranikaur90

Although it seems like you guys have the teams best interest in mind (going off what you have said previously), if you feel so strongly about the direction this team is heading, it may be more beneficial to speak with the heads of said team directly. That way, instead of posting comments here that the team members may or may not read, you get to convey your thoughts clearly and possibly have more of an impact that way. If you have already attempted to do that, then at this point there is nothing much more you can do except to wait for the team to find their own system that works for them, if they so choose to move in that direction.

It takes years to establish one's team as "top tier", and however long that takes is solely up to the workings of that team alone. When considering university teams, this is especially hard because members are constantly changing by the year (sometimes by the semester). If a new team wants to compete and applies to various comps, then they will know sooner or later that certain things will be required of them if they want to compete at the national (or even regional) level.

Keep in mind that it is only a team's choice whether they WANT to compete or not. Whether they ACTUALLY compete is up to a multitude of factors like the type of comp, whos organizing it, which other teams are going/have applied, and how they fair against all those factors. I wouldn't worry as much as to whether a team is going to compete or not. If they want to, then naturally they will start looking into the resources that they can find. If you know a certain team wants to head in that direction next year, then maybe showing them their resources may be more beneficial than trying to get people on here to point out their flaws and induce a wake up call in the team that way.

If someone from that team came on here and posted their video asking for critiques, then obviously we would be more than happy to help them out. But if they didn't, and they are content with their performance, then theres really nothing you can do about. You can't force a change in a team, just gotta let it happen.