NORCAL-Disappointment/Shady Comp

harjap_singh

dudhmakhna said:
Lol was that a joke? Howcome cal didn't place over 1st or 2nd? Lol.

NorCal = northern California
Cal = UC Berkeley aka Cal aka University of California Berkeley

Lol "they're going to place over you... Not necessarily over you"
read my reply...i meant PLACE. not necessarily win, but just PLACE. and its pretty clear that the judges were idiots..

Yankee Saini

ਅਣਖ ਨਾਲ ਜੇ ਜਿਊਣਾ ਤਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਏ ll
harjap_singh said:
I mean, if you have a team competing at ''Norcal Bhangra" named "Cal Bhangra," odds are they are going to place over you.

:eek: u r so smart!

Yankee Saini

ਅਣਖ ਨਾਲ ਜੇ ਜਿਊਣਾ ਤਾਂ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਜ਼ਰੂਰੀ ਏ ll
harjap_singh said:
esp with fudh ass judges..haha
i don't dance with CAL anymore but yo before you or anyone call out the JUDGES, do you even know who they are and what have they done for bhangra community? n' dude, some of us were still pissing n' shitting in their kachas while few of these judges had already danced at 40+ comps! so lets not even go there! anyone can be a keyboard gangster these days on BTF! ;D

all you youngsters just talk n' talk! ::)

Ashveer

Yankee Saini said:
harjap_singh said:
esp with fudh ass judges..haha
i don't dance with CAL anymore but yo before you or anyone call out the JUDGES, do you even know who they are and what have they done for bhangra community? n' dude, some of us were still pissing n' shitting in their kachas while few of these judges had already danced at 40+ comps! so lets not even go there! anyone can be a keyboard gangster these days on BTF! ;D

all you youngsters just talk n' talk! ::)
If you could turn back time and have the judges perform their sets from 20 years ago today, they DEF wouldn't place ;)

GSingh

harjap_singh said:
dudhmakhna said:
Lol was that a joke? Howcome cal didn't place over 1st or 2nd? Lol.

NorCal = northern California
Cal = UC Berkeley aka Cal aka University of California Berkeley

Lol "they're going to place over you... Not necessarily over you"
read my reply...i meant PLACE. not necessarily win, but just PLACE. and its pretty clear that the judges were idiots..
Winning and placing is nearly one in the same, with a small difference in score. What you said is essentially that a team name having part of the competition name helped them "place", which is pretty far fetched as far as I'm concerned. And to call teh judges "fudhs"? WOW. If you know them personally and know for a FACT that they are shady, then continue on with your post but I'm certain you do not even know who they were so save yourself any further public embarrassment.

If you meant place, then that means we should have come in FIRST! since Fateh bhangra crew is from Modesto. But that didn't happen because its not rigged like that bro. Scoresheets dont' lie and to discredit an organization of honesty without any justification is pretty low on your part.

Edit: Ok just saw ur edit to the original post. My bad if my words offended. :)

HarmanSingh

H.S. said:
Just to clear a couple of things up....

PANJ has competed at numerous competitions and have NOT placed at some, we have NEVER come onto BTF and called any organization or competition out in public before. So before anyone decides to label us "cocky", "ungrateful", etc. please learn more about PANJ's history and let our actions in the past describe us and not this VERY RARE call out that was necessary to let people know about our experience at NORCAL.

Yes, some of the PANJ boys pulled a harmless mini prank however the boys did go apologize to the team face to face (ended up spending most of our time over the weekend with the team), cleaned up ENTIRELY and the hotel staff was content. I'm not attempting to defend the boys, just pointing out that we did try to make things right...and eventually did.
If it was "harmless" there would be no need for you to apologize to the teams and hotel staff. Your team pulled a stupid prank that vandalized property...did you guys follow it up by TP-ing a house and egging a couple cars?
I mean really, how old are the guys on PANJ? Things like this are the reason hotel staff will probably think twice before allowing Norcal to make them the official hotel and why teams that are doing nothing wrong inevitably get kicked out of hotels. I am sure you guys did apologize- after you were caught and realized it could mean you being charged extra for the hotel, getting kicked out or getting penalized by the organization committee.

The sad thing is rather than accepting the stupidity of these actions you guys are defending it as a “harmless mini prank”. Let’s keep making the bhangra community (and by extension Punjabis) look immature and destructive. It’s a good look for us.

faizan

Just shut up and dance
everyone, stop with the arbitrary "i thought it was for the love of culture" comments on btf, they are so unrealistic and silly...dear bhangra world, the love of culture has not been the overarching reason dancers dance in like 4 years, so please, let it go...

also, i did not know harmless pranks came in mini, regular and and extra large...haha jk

dj2nyce

Facebook.com/TheOfficial2NyCe
not agreeing with anyone or taking sides....but, as a side note, vandalism is so fuckin fun (when you dont get caught).

gifty

2nyce said:
not agreeing with anyone or taking sides....but, as a side note, vandalism is so fuckin fun (when you dont get caught).
Until your balls drop and you figure you are not some stupid teen anymore....

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
faizan said:
also, i did not know harmless pranks came in mini, regular and and extra large...haha jk

LOL! I feel that any competition has the right to disqualify a team from their competition if they are doing things that could seriously jeopardize the relationship between the competition and other parties involved (ie: hotel, venue) in addition to trying to mess with other teams and make them seem culpable for damages. Funny how this is not the first time we've heard of such things about PANJ on BTF.

dj2nyce

Facebook.com/TheOfficial2NyCe
gifty said:
2nyce said:
Until your balls drop and you figure you are not some stupid teen anymore....
looks like someones been caught one too many times....its ok beta, not all of us can be inconspicuous.

sgrewal30

singh89 said:
Norcal weekend is over, and no can do anything to change the placings and stuff. Everyone should just move on now and look forward to upcoming competitions. And if the competing teams/committee members get a chance, they should upload the score sheets!!
Something bothered them, so they are addressing it. get it? okay :)

JT

every competition that happens, the bhangra world gets more and more political... why can't we just go back to the good old days and go out and do bhangra cause we love it, and not worry about winning soo much ??? If you don't place at one comp, regardless if you believe you got robbed or not, do like Vic and crew and come back next comp, leave nothing but a trail of dust on the stage when your done and let the world know how much bhangra means to you in the one place that counts... HEART !!!

No hate on PANJ, you guys are good, but nothing is gonna happen with this thread, other then you not going next year and another team taking your place.... just enjoy what is BHANGRA !!!

FTW Entertainment

"209s Hardest Hitting Promoters"
On behalf of the NorCal Bhangra Executive Committee,

This is going to be my last post in regards to this matter, unless there are extreme circumstances that require my reply in a public forum. An unprovoked public attack on any organization is unnecessary and uncalled for; Especially if this attack comes without notifying the person or organization of any wrongdoing in the first place.

We take no personal interest in any of the teams that competed. We did all that we could to provide a fair, unbiased competition. Here is an excerpt from our registration packet, which has already been made public since the competition was announced:

"Judging Criteria
A panel of 3-6 judges will score each team on a 100 point rubric. Highest and lowest scores for each team will be thrown out. The collective scores of remaining judges will be added and averaged out. In the case of a tie, judge rankings will determine the tie breaker."

That is what was stated in our registration packet and that is what we adhered to. Yes, admittedly there should have been at least 5 judges. However, due to a judge being unable to attend last minute, we were unable to find a competent, unbiased judge to replace that spot. We were not going to stick somebody in the judging panel and risk the integrity of the panel for the sake of having 5 judges. Therefore, we had 4 competent and unbiased judges. Highest and lowest scores were dropped, and the average of the remaining was taken. It may be true that had the highest and lowest scores not been dropped, the outcome would have been different; however, it would be unfair to change that aspect last minute, since it was already in writing that we would be calculating winners this way.

In an effort to be completely transparent in the judging matter, all score sheets will be scanned and sent to the respective team's captain within this coming week. It is up to that team whether or not they want to release their score sheet to whoever is asking for it.

I encourage teams who are skeptical of the placings to bring forward their evidence. Please provide the recorded clips of the judges saying that you should have placed, either publicly or send them to me in private. Please provide the details on which "judge" said "told us we were so good that they didn't know why we didn't place." In being completely transparent with the judging and placings, I expect this public bashing to stop. It is totally unacceptable and is not fair to the teams that did place.

All questions, concerns and suggestions can be sent to me via pm or you may contact me at: NorCalBhangra@yahoo.com

Thank You,
Ash Singh
Owner - FTW Entertainment
President - NorCal Bhangra Executive Committee

On a side note, here is an excerpt from the email sent to all teams. This was after each team flying in was asked which airport they prefer and unanimously SFO was chosen:

"-First of all for all teams flying in. Plan to fly into San Francisco (SFO) airport on Friday April 15th. All airports are approximately 2 hours away from Modesto, all in different directions. Due to this, we will only be able to provide transport from SFO. We will pick up teams between 1pm-4pm on Friday April 15th. If absolutely necessary, we may be able to push pick up time to 5-530pm at the LATEST. Please bear in mind that the mixer is the same night and it is at least a 2 hour drive back.

-We will depart Modesto on Sunday April 17th at 10am to drop teams back off at the airport. As stated, it is a 2 hour drive so make sure your flights are after 1pm to make it on time (even that would be cutting it close). We apologize for placing such strict guidelines, but remember that we are independent of all schools/organizations/etc. We are a group of friends and family who put this together and do not receive funding like collegiate competitions "

Saab

Today is a gift
Most of the posts are hitting the shitter. Mostly venom and anger, and something that could have started a proper discussion is gone. Unless there is some actual information, there were mistakes made....

Wash your hands(with soap) of them(again please use soap), and continue(make sure to towel dry). The alternating dialouge does nothing but make someone who didn't go to the competition confused.

On a side note, there are, at the end of the day, ways that teams should be treated. Everyone who has competed knows that there are sensible ways to treat teams and give them what they want. Also, that gives teams the incentive to not go on here and talk. However, judging, by and large, is subjective. There is no guarantee that a competition that creates a rubric and the judges they have judging are going to have the same, unilateral mindset. Ok, maybe you did/did-not get the shaft. If winning means a lot to you(in general, not just to you HK), then please re-evaluate how you proceed towards competitions...

If not, try to have fun. If the organizers, irrespective of you placing, did not let you have fun, then you have a problem.