People's Bhangra - South Asian Dance Dimensions Video

Kanvar

Why So Jaloose?
Hey,

Sadly we haven't received an actual video from the competition, but we do have a video of the routine from our culture show which happened just last weekend. Let me know what you guys think. We are a very young team with a lot of history to hold up up to so hopefully we don't disappoint. I would like to mention that People's Bhangra has changed its style, not because of trends in Bhangra, but because this is what the members of the team are interested in. Sorry we don't have that many gimmicks anymore.

We performed this routine at South Asian Dance Dimensions and placed 1st.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9wX1pV77LY

Regards,

Kanvar Singh Panesar
Captain People's Bhangra

Nikhil

Hey Kanvar,

Congrats on the 1st place! I think you guys have really cleaned up your act since the first video you shared on POL. However there are quite a few things you need to work on. For starters, many of your dancers are not catching the beat to the music properly. This makes it look as if dancers are a bit uncoordinated, and as a whole it makes your segments look awkward. The choreography is different, in that you have traditional and modern choreo, and as you said, you guys are not going to conform to what's been going on. Props to you on that. I like the vardiyaan and the colors you've selected, although one of the jori's looks to be out of place in terms of color coordination: Lime green and blue for the girls, but I could have sworn the matching guy had black instead of the blue...

Anyhow I think the girls and guys match up well, but you guys need to have cleaner choreography, and actually if you simplify it, it will help your team out by not having segments that look awkward. Simple choreography allows all dancers to be on the same page in terms of what can be executed and what can't be. Start there, if your dancers are on the fast end of the learned curve, make it a little more intricate. But remember, SIMPLE = TOP NOTCH.

I hope this helps!

Kanvar

Why So Jaloose?
Yea the sound technicians didn't have the monitors on so we could barely hear the music. But i do agree, we could have been and have been cleaner. Thanks for the comments.

Oh yea and he is wearing dark blue; just it is really really dark blue.

Waleed

Hey Kanvar,
Do you have a live link to your video? I'll def post a review.
-Waleed

Waleed

For some reason it said "video not unavailable" when I clicked the play button earlier buts it back up again.

This is definitely not the People's Bhangra we all know. The gimmicks and stunts are gone but more importantly you guys are clearly influenced by a more traditional style, major props on that. Your choreographer has done a good job of giving the routine a traditional flavor while not neglecting the entertainment element and making this a fun routine to watch for even the non-bhangra crowd. My fav part was the bit from 3:10 to 3:25, the domino effect is a sick idea and fit for that song. Despite having a great routine, at the end of the day the real measure of success is your execution and I feel that this is one department where you guys should focus on improving. There is an overall lack of form (except the guys in the yellow and blue paggs). The captains/choreographers should develop a team style and make sure everyone adopts it and looks natural executing it. If everyone has the same style, you guys will look way cleaner. Since you guys are aiming to highlight the traditional flavor, I would suggest that the captains also teach how to look graceful while executing moves. Another thing, the energy significantly starts to suffer in the second half and a lot of people start half-assing the moves, solution = practicing more frequently to build your stamina.

I understand you had a performance after this one and I'm sure it was better. I hope my feedback helps you guys, you are definitely headed in the right direction and seem like a dedicated and talented group of dancers. Good luck to the Communist Bhangra team!