Placings poll

Waleed

Saleem,

Is there a way we can poll members' placings (pre & post-competition). An online poll that determines who will place 1st,2nd & 3rd, one before the competition and one after.

It would be really intricate and it would need a grid system as there are 3 placings. Too difficult to explain online, but if someone has any solutions or suggestions regarding this, please post.

Vic

yeah and have something like the desidanceteams with the team records and total points

Manjot

you can always add "Highscore" section up top on the bar for team records and overall points like Vic said.

Saleem

Staff member
so each choice would be a full combination of 1st 2nd and 3rd?

It's pretty easy to be like "Who will win XYZ Bhangra?"
a) SGPD
b) VCU
c) NJ Toddlers
d) CU^2

That you do just be doing a "Post New Poll" instead of New Topic. But I think you're asking for a more complicating voting system, right? Not sure how to implement i'll need more details?

Manjot

i think he means each place having different categories not just first place
Who will get 1st?
a) SGPD
b) VCU
c) NJ Toddlers
d) CU^2

2nd place?
a) SGPD
b) VCU
c) NJ Toddlers
d) CU^2

3rd Place?
a) SGPD
b) VCU
c) NJ Toddlers
d) CU^2

i think something like that and u get 1 choice in each category

Waleed

Yeah, Manjot you got the right idea.

It will have to be a poll for each placing. Let's see if we can set up one for Bruin, once all the teams are finalized.

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Waleed said:

It will have to be a poll for each placing. Let's see if we can set up one for Bruin, once all the teams are finalized.
Waleed, what's the advantage of this? I can understand desidanceteams version where each person will get "points" for correctly placing each team, but polls are anonymous. The only thing I can think of is to see how people will place teams based on previous performances and hype.

And what's the advantage of doing it post-competition? To see whether the community here (of like 12 people) agree with the placement of the teams?

Waleed

kinnell said:
Waleed said:

Waleed, what's the advantage of this? I can understand desidanceteams version where each person will get "points" for correctly placing each team, but polls are anonymous. The only thing I can think of is to see how people will place teams based on previous performances and hype.

And what's the advantage of doing it post-competition? To see whether the community here (of like 12 people) agree with the placement of the teams?

Hey Kinnell,

'Hype' is def a no-no word and something we should try to stay away from. Rather, this would be a formal way of predicting who has a chance of placing based on their recent past performances. A post-performance poll would show the variation on how much the team has improved. For example, BTF members might predict that Spartan Bhangra will place 3rd at Desi Hungama but after watching your performance, that might change and the post-performance poll shows that Spartan Bhangra deserved 1st. Do you follow?

Also the community on BTF is now at 90 members (not 12) and even if it was at 12, I trust their opinion as I personally know a lot of them. There are a lot of veterans on this forum whose knowledge, experience and feedback deserves respect.

best,
Waleed

ps. Congrats on your Hungama win 8)

Manjot

kinnell said:
Waleed said:

Idunno atleast w.e. the amount of people we have...they all seem real lol not like the thousands of fake accounts on POL

Temurzai

yea even some of the 'fake' sns on here are dancers that alot of us know that just carried over their POL sn's, so we shouldnt just not do somethin cuz theres not that many or u dont think itd be a good result based on users on this site. itd be an honest result (for the most part).

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Hmmm... I understand the idea now and it, at its basic level, is an amazing idea.

There are some flaws, but nothing is perfect. The most important one is to realize that the post-polling is a variance in our perception of how much these teams improved. But I guess, that's assumed.

And for reference, I think BTF has some of the most qualified people from the bhangra circuit on the net. Bruin is the best competition to test this system out.

PS - Thanks Waleed. I believe you might know an Arshneel Kochar on my team. Or at least he claims to know an ex-Geneseo-captain named Waleed.

Waleed

Yep, I'll talk to Saleem about possibly setting one up.

And Kinnell, glad to have you on BTF! I'm glad you are using this as a resource to further advance your team, but remember at the same time your input is very valuable as well.

I remember Arshneel, I was his summer counselor 8)