Post competition bashing

Bhangralover27

This has been going on in my head for a while now but after seeing this recent bash I just couldn’t hold myself back. This Bhangra circuit is becoming a joke day by day. Seems like no competition can be completed without at least one or two teams coming back and saying they think they should have placed or they think they did not get a good response from the judge or judges were partial. I am sorry but this is a Bhangra competition and not a fast food restaurant where “customer is always right”. What sucks about this is that people don’t understand how much it takes to organize a competition and to give teams a platform to dance. No organizer want to put in a lot of hard work into organizing a comp, selling tickets so people can come watch the teams perform just so he/she can be unfair to a “girls’ team” the day of the competition.

There is so much crying and sore losers in this circuit nowadays that people think they can come and bash any competition and say whatever they want just because they did not place at the competition. Before any of you start making assumption I am not “Affiliated” with any team or competition but I have competed in a number of competition and was present in the audience as well for this competition.

I think the placings were fair. I had VSB placing over NGPD but other than that I think the placings were spot on. But that’s just me. I am not a judge so I cannot comment on what judge’s saw and they didn’t.

This word affiliation gets on my nerves too because it is getting used like cold medications in a flu season. Firstly you all want a judge who have danced on a team and have a good dancing background. Who have judged a few competitions before and know a thing or two regarding how the comp and rubric works. Then when that person who have all these qualities is part of the judging panel then you say he is affiliated with such and such team or team member. I mean seriously? Do you not make friends when you go to competitions? Or is a future judge not allowed to make any friends?

Just because a person have a friend in a certain team DOES NOT mean that he/she is affiliated with that team in case that team win the trophy. You have to keep in mind that 100% of the time there are other judges including that judge as well so suppose we say one judge is affiliated and he gave the team 90 points while the others gave the team 60 points then that judge who gave 90 will have to explain as well. Point is that judgement is not based on 1 particular judge. It is the overall judgement.

I think this all started from that one stupid comp as far as I can remember where some rejudgement or something like that happened. I remember a team that was last or something ended up placing first and their set was not even close to the level of the team that was originally placed 1st. That’s my opinion. You all might differ. But this trend of coming out of comps and bashing the committee or judges needs to seriously stop or the talks that you have about saving our “sabhyachar” is going straight into the gutter.

Organizing a comp is not a piece of cake. Yea there are some smaller comps out there that cannot afford to bring good judges from out of state so they settle for who they have but judges for most comps are announced ahead of time so you as a team have the choice to attend the comp or not. If you do not feel comfortable with a certain judge and organizers are not willing to help then you as a team have the choice to drop out or if you choose to go then live with the decision.

Bottom line is that No organizer wants to organize a comp and put in so much hard work to be unfair to a team or an individual. No judge have that much time to take time out of their work and come down to judge the comp just to “deliberately” place another team over someone else. Everyone is doing what is best according to them. Its up to the team to decide if they want to go to the comp or not If they do knowing who is on the panel then don’t come back as sore losers. Learn to live with it and accept the mistake and push your team to move forward and get better.

Again please don't waste your time thinking about affiliation. Please utilize the time in thinking about what we can do together to solve this issue because we need to understand how to live with the judgement that has been taken and work to improve your team.

If I hurt someone's feeling with this post then I am sorry but Truth is always bitter.

Thanks

desi99

Aruan S.
I agree, organizing a competition is no joke...
I always got a chance to volunteer with Bhangra Masti in the past, every time our academy organized it. Competitions almost never runs smoothly...
Judging complaints are probably 1/7 of the obstacles an organization has to deal with...
I can tell you second hand, the Bhangra community is full of highly emotional and irresponsible individuals Now, compared to before, and there are bhangra dancers on teams who still need adult supervision at competitions...especially after results...

Last edited:

gurtaj28

I don't think there's such thing as losing, you either win or learn. People need to appreciate the fact they are performing on stage and expressing joy. Bhangra is all about happiness and enjoying it - if you win then great. If you don't place, then instead of complaining about the competition, go back to your academy, start making a new set, and hit the same or different competition harder.

IMMA IMMA BROWN BOY

@Bhangralover27 @THE REAL JAGGA JATT

SORRY WHAT COMPETITION ARE YOU REFERRING TO?

I am making an overall point for all competitions.

I totally agree with your point competition is a platform to compete and to agree to judging marks but speaking of girls and co-ed teams I was there in the audience watching the show, people love to raid boys teams but they don’t like co-ed and girls team. When you are a judge you need to answer questions if some coach’s ask you don’t ignore them and change the topic . As my friend @Bhangralover27 said, ......no one is talking about replacing and shit so chill out. Also. Wow.........hold your breaks there Mr.organizer

I just didn’t make up that title your article states your title to many points about organizers OMG..... how do you know how the organizers feel? Sometimes you talk about audience perspective, sometime organizers, sometime judge and sometime dancer. Don’t give us a lecture on what an organizer needs to do if your not an organizer, they can speak up on there own. And speaking of judgement I have been to so many competitions around the world and I have judged so many competitions but I have never seen in my life why an organizer (Mr.Prabh Saini) be giving clarification on judge marks when your not judging the competition. As, speaking of your “customer is not right ....fast food “ line if your an real organizer you would now how worried you are if people don’t by tickets so think before you speak and why do you care when your not affiliated with any team regarding how organizers feel huh? Also, organizers do care about how there audience feels and how teams feels so don’t pretended to be one.

The fact and the point I am getting across here is we need to stop corruption in the Bhangra industry and give fair platforms to everyone.

I am sorry if I offended anyone but Bhangra is there to have fun, to enjoy and to spread our culture around the world

BradRosenblum

This Bhangra circuit is becoming a joke day by day
^ this part is the only thing i had an issue with. People get pissed, people don't place where they think they should, that'll happen, but does that really make the whole circuit a joke? The collegiate circuit in the last 2-3 years is the strongest its ever been in my opinion, the independent circuit is growing like crazy, and bhangra is spreading like wildfire across the US, so i would say the circuit is doing pretty damn well....I agree that placings are going to be what they're going to be and sometimes you just have to go home proud of what you did despite what the judges say, but at the end of the day, this circuit ain't no joke

Bhangralover27

@Bhangralover27 @THE REAL JAGGA JATT

SORRY WHAT COMPETITION ARE YOU REFERRING TO?

I am making an overall point for all competitions.

I totally agree with your point competition is a platform to compete and to agree to judging marks but speaking of girls and co-ed teams I was there in the audience watching the show, people love to raid boys teams but they don’t like co-ed and girls team. When you are a judge you need to answer questions if some coach’s ask you don’t ignore them and change the topic . As my friend @Bhangralover27 said, ......no one is talking about replacing and shit so chill out. Also. Wow.........hold your breaks there Mr.organizer

I just didn’t make up that title your article states your title to many points about organizers OMG..... how do you know how the organizers feel? Sometimes you talk about audience perspective, sometime organizers, sometime judge and sometime dancer. Don’t give us a lecture on what an organizer needs to do if your not an organizer, they can speak up on there own. And speaking of judgement I have been to so many competitions around the world and I have judged so many competitions but I have never seen in my life why an organizer (Mr.Prabh Saini) be giving clarification on judge marks when your not judging the competition. As, speaking of your “customer is not right ....fast food “ line if your an real organizer you would now how worried you are if people don’t by tickets so think before you speak and why do you care when your not affiliated with any team regarding how organizers feel huh? Also, organizers do care about how there audience feels and how teams feels so don’t pretended to be one.

The fact and the point I am getting across here is we need to stop corruption in the Bhangra industry and give fair platforms to everyone.

I am sorry if I offended anyone but Bhangra is there to have fun, to enjoy and to spread our culture around the world
The fact that you have to make 4 accounts in order to get your point across shows how much knowledge you have about what you are doing. To be clear though that I do not need to refer to a specific comp in order to make the point I was making because it has been a story of multiple comps where teams come back not winning and feel they were "Robbed".
As far as if I have organized a comp or not then you do not know me or my history so its better to talk about Bhangra and what is going on in the circuit than what a certain individual have done in order to make a statement. Its because if I start looking at the credentials of each individual posting on BTF then you will be the first person that should not be allowed to post anything here.

When you say you have been to so many comps then I am not sure what comps you have been to. They are probably your inter-academy or backyard comps. I am saying that because you had a problem with an organizer being at judges meeting. Why should an organizer NOT be at the meeting?? The first thing teams do these days is not only blame the judges for the verdict but also the organizer and the committee as a whole. SO if you are going to go back and blame the committee and organizer for what the judges said during the meeting then it is very important for the organizer to be a part of it to defend himself or herself along with the judges. If the organizer is not part of the discussion taking place between you and the judges and then you come back and start bashing the judges for what they said in the meeting then the organizer have no leg to stand on and defend the committee. You cannot send a General at war without any ammunition.

Judges come solely on the invitation of the committee and the organizer himself. So it is that individuals responsibility to protect the dignity of the judges position and stand by the decision that the panel he chose made during the competition. I am not the messiah for all the organizers here but I am trying to show everyone who comes in bashing the committee and judges after the comp just because they did not place to just sit down with a cool head after the placings are announced and realize that an organizer or judges are just there to either give your team a platform or help your team grow. NOT to take out any personal grudges against any team or individual. There is a lot of money at stake when you organize a comp and you do not play with money unless you are Donald trump or people who are too vehle to create 4 accounts from same location and then respond to each other within a post to bash a committee.

^ this part is the only thing i had an issue with. People get pissed, people don't place where they think they should, that'll happen, but does that really make the whole circuit a joke? The collegiate circuit in the last 2-3 years is the strongest its ever been in my opinion, the independent circuit is growing like crazy, and bhangra is spreading like wildfire across the US, so i would say the circuit is doing pretty damn well....I agree that placings are going to be what they're going to be and sometimes you just have to go home proud of what you did despite what the judges say, but at the end of the day, this circuit ain't no joke
Hey Brad,
I agree that the circuit have been growing. What I meant by circuit being a joke is that on one side we all go around saying we are trying to promote Bhangra and take the Bhangra to a next level and then all of a sudden we disrespect judges during the meeting, after the show. Disrespect the people that organize the comp who have nothing to do with which team placed. I understand all teams work hard but so is everyone that is involved with the competition and so are the winning teams. This is what I meant by calling it a joke that by doing this we are fooling noone but ourselves. So Teams need to start coming out of the comp with a mindset of yes we will improve and get back stronger instead of "Oh there was this judge he/she told us what we already know. we didn't get a good feedback". Even a great team can loose on any day so sometimes you just have to be proud of what you did on stage and what other think of you. A first place trophy should not be the goal. Goal should be taking Bhangra forward in the right direction and showing younger generation that winning a trophy is an incentive but winning people's heart is the main goal. So work on that and everything will come.

Thanks

faizan

Just shut up and dance
Brad, if only you had been around for, 2009-2012.

Bhangralover27

Teams whinning after a loss at a Toronto comp? Never seen that before...
This is a new trend bro. One team at a comp initially were tied for 3rd place at a comp but after they came out and cried on BTF they were given 1st place and the team that placed 1st initially didn't even end up on the top 3 (Most ridiculous decision ever made by a comp. rejudging a comp by watching a video after the placing announced and then change the placings). So now it has gradually increased and is extending everywhere.
You have been Bhangra around a long time bro and I always respect what you say here on BTF. Teams just need to do what you have written "Just shut up and dance". Let their dance do the talking than their fingers on BTF.

desi99

Aruan S.
If you can't dance better then this in 2017, you shouldn't even be allowed to compete!!! simple...y'all need to go back to the basics. Even these judges..

Last edited:

JimmyJatt463

This doesn't happen all that often if you actually think about it. It happened at ROB and now it's happened here. There are many more successful comps than comps where things turn bad.

Teams gotta understand that dishing out dirt on BTF will do nothing but hurt your own reputation. If you have a problem, figure it out with the judges/organisers then and there or discuss it with them personally. No need to get angry or upset about things. More likely than not, people will explain their perspective and why things happened the way the did and any misunderstandings can cleared up.

btw that youth festival video is awesome!!

BhangraSUCKS

Judges are going to be bashed no matter the result. People need to learn to chill and accept the result. Be adults and set good examples for the young guns coming up.

Absolutely ridiculous. Completely ridiculous.