Punjabi Superstitions

Romy

I'm not really a superstitious person, but I know of a few superstitions some punjabi folks follow.

For example: boys not allowed to eat meat on certain days & girls not allowed to wash their hair on certain days or it's bad luck. I've heard of others where you're supposed to handle scissors in a proper way or it's bad luck for you, girls should tie their hair up at night time because if the hair is down, spirits can easily attack you and other really outrageous ones.

I remember when I was India a few years back during Diwali, the entire day I had to keep my hair up and covered since I was the oldest girl and if one hair would come off, someone could use it against our family via black magic. I wasn't even allowed to leave the house that day.

I'm just curious to know if anyone knows the meanings of the ones I posted or know of others you follow or heard people following?

HarmanToor

Nachde Yaar Punjab De
I have no clue as to the deeper meanings or the origins but I grew up being told to follow these "rules"

don't cut your nails at night
don't sneeze before you leave the house <-- apparently an even number of sneezes counteracts the bad omen
don't call out a persons name before they leave the house
don't leave a broom on a bed
don't sit on the stairs at night
stay away from dogs if they are barking randomly in the night
don't leave your shoes upside down
don't cross paths with a black cat
if your hand itches your going to find money or receive good luck
if your left eye twitches you've got bad luck coming your way.. or right eye, forgot which

there's like a billion of these superstitions so I guess if you believe it the best way to avoid bad luck.. do absolutely nothing.

Romy

HarmanToor said:
I have no clue as to the deeper meanings or the origins but I grew up being told to follow these "rules"

don't sneeze before you leave the house <-- apparently an even number of sneezes counteracts the bad omen
if your left eye twitches you've got bad luck coming your way.. or right eye, forgot which

there's like a billion of these superstitions so I guess if you believe it the best way to avoid bad luck.. do absolutely nothing.
Wow haha, I haven't even heard half of these. As for the eye twitching, it's different for girls and guys I believe. Girls: Left eye=good luck Right eye=bad luck

RAJ22

HarmanToor said:

ive encountered about 4 of those, haha one of them today, my mom -__________-

another my dad said to me is; if your feet itch, you will be going to a voyage in th near future,
if a womens left hand is itching, money is coming soon, if left then money is losing
and it is opposite for men

if you dream at night, and you see many people, its bad
if you dream about someone dieing, then you the dreamer will live longer
if you are walking out of the house, and you stumble or hit your foot, take 2 steps back, take of your shoes and wait a couple of mins aka chugli, haha
if you bite your tongue, some one is talking smack about you
if you get hiccups, someone is remembering you
if someone in your household steps on your foot, a husband is coming to your house
if a crow sits on your roof, you should be expecting a guest
if a peacock is calling, rain is coming soon

haha :)

RAJ22

RAJ22 said:
HarmanToor said:

ive encountered about 4 of those, haha one of them today, my mom -__________-

another my dad said to me is; if your feet itch, you will be going to a voyage in th near future,
if a womens left hand is itching, money is coming soon, if left then money is losing
and it is opposite for men

if you dream at night, and you see many people, its bad
if you dream about someone dieing, then you the dreamer will live longer
if you are walking out of the house, and you stumble or hit your foot, take 2 steps back, take of your shoes and wait a couple of mins
if you bite your tongue, some one is talking smack about you aka chugli, haha
if you get hiccups, someone is remembering you
if someone in your household steps on your foot, a husband is coming to your house
if a crow sits on your roof, you should be expecting a guest
if a peacock is calling, rain is coming soon

haha :)

COMTONDAJATT

mint gumri
my mom told me that back in the day women were never allowed to take their husband's name. so they had to say stuff 'bunty de papa'.

footballforlife

Don't let the name fool you.
HarmanToor said:

I've been told its don't sneeze before leaving the house, but if you do, eat something sugary, wait a few minutes and then you can leave.
Also, don't leave the house at 41 minutes after the hour, any hour. <- This one has always super bugged me.
If you sneeze more than twice, someone is thinking about you.

Plus others that others have already mentioned.

sonehdataweet

- Poneh kentai te kadi nai turi da - I hate that superstition Never leave the house at :15 or :45
- If you spill salt or any type of spice on the floor, once you die it's all going to stick to your eyes. -_-
- If you sneeze before your about to leave your house, take your shoes off and put them back on in order to go your way
- If you're driving and a cat decides to walk the path in front of your car make an 'x' on your window (LOL learned that in India)
- If you drop your comb, while combing your hair- You'll have a guest coming over soon
- Don't put your shoes on your bed, or a snake will come
- Don't talk about snakes at night or one will come in your house
- If there is a pregnant lady and she see's a snake or stands in front of a snake, that snake will go blind
- If your hand itches that means your going to be spending money
- Don't whistle at night- Ghosts will be around you while you sleep :x

LIKE REALLY?

ENVY BANG-RUH

Let the music move you!!!!!
If you bite your tongue, its because "koi tenu gala kad da"
If you're the oldest child no snake will cross your path

My mom and nani have told me so many superstitions they just go in one ear and out the other now.

HarmanToor

Nachde Yaar Punjab De
soniadewett said:
- Poneh kentai te kadi nai turi da - I hate that superstition Never leave the house at :15 or :45
- If you spill salt or any type of spice on the floor, once you die it's all going to stick to your eyes. -_-
- If you sneeze before your about to leave your house, take your shoes off and put them back on in order to go your way
- If you're driving and a cat decides to walk the path in front of your car make an 'x' on your window (LOL learned that in India)
- If you drop your comb, while combing your hair- You'll have a guest coming over soon
- If there is a pregnant lady and she see's a snake or stands in front of a snake, that snake will go blind

LIKE REALLY?
oh my god lol the whistling one.. I remember being told about that one

that ties in with the broom on the bed and sitting on the stairs at night ones.. apparently they attract "bad air" or ghosts as well..

like there's a ghost waiting by my stairs waiting for me to sit.. just mumbling to itself "do it do it do it!"

sonehdataweet

HarmanToor said:
soniadewett said:

LIKE REALLY?

that ties in with the broom on the bed and sitting on the stairs at night ones.. apparently they attract "bad air" or ghosts as well..

like there's a ghost waiting by my stairs waiting for me to sit.. just mumbling to itself "do it do it do it!"
lol mumbling my last name over and over again hahahahah!

Oh yeah I forgot the one where your not suppose to use a broom at night - like the old ladies say " Rijak da khata hunda (Which means you lose money) "

HarmanToor

Nachde Yaar Punjab De
soniadewett said:
HarmanToor said:
soniadewett said:

LIKE REALLY?

Oh yeah I forgot the one where your not suppose to use a broom at night - like the old ladies say " Rijak da khata hunda (Which means you lose money) "
lmaoo dewett.. didnt see that :p

Panj_Dariaah said:
If you eat "dahi" (yogurt) before taking an exam, you'll do good on it.
tried it :/ never works ... I think its dahi with sugar

anyone ever hear the urban legend of the indian woman with the backwards feet who hitch hikes for a ride.. and that if you encounter one you shouldn't talk to her or she eats you lol

HarmanG

HarmanToor said:
soniadewett said:
HarmanToor said:
soniadewett said:

LIKE REALLY?

lmaoo dewett.. didnt see that :p

Panj_Dariaah said:
If you eat "dahi" (yogurt) before taking an exam, you'll do good on it.
tried it :/ never works ... I think its dahi with sugar

anyone ever hear the urban legend of the indian woman with the backwards feet who hitch hikes for a ride.. and that if you encounter one you shouldn't talk to her or she eats you lol
AHAH i've heard about the backwards feet one its something like u wont be killed or watever if u dont acknowledge that her feet are backwards.. regardless dont give freakky old ladies a ride:p

Aaron.B

My parents say the exact same thing.... however if superstitions were true wouldnt they be in effect since the origin of man? things like nail cutters and brooms were only recent inventions so how could a superstition just be randomly created out of them! people are foolish hahaha one day someone was probably using a nailcutter at night and a couple of minutes later ran into some 'bad luck' and henceforth called it a superstition saying it was applicable to everyone!!

hardeep_singh

some more for the list:
if you leave a jutti lyin upside down ur gonna get beat with it

if you eat straight out of a karai its gonna rain on ur wedding day

if you sneeze, someones thinking of you

in conclusion, superstitions are pointless and illogical, and punjabis/desis are ridiculously superstitious even though it goes against sikhism.