Quran Burning in Florida

Badwal

Straight goods this guys gunna get clapped

Isnt this the same guy who was gunna hold a day of Quran burning but ended up not doing it?

HarmanSingh

This guy is a fool but is getting way too much attention in the media. Let him do what he does- killing people and mass protesting his protests are worthless. He has the right to do whatever he is doing, no matter how idiotic he is. It is not like he is the leader of a huge group, he has like 10 people supporting him.

faysal

if someone was burning any other kind of religious text the government would get directly involved surely?

faysal

interesting, and i can see why, but this guy just put his personal safety at serious risk :\ even if his exposure is keeping him in the limelight and somewhat safe right now, people don't forget things like this.

fthomas1

I do not understand how people like him get any followers! Assholes like him make things worse for the troops in Afghanistan.

The government probably would have gotten involved if that was a Bible. There does exist a double standard if you ask me and it is messed up.

HarmanSingh

fthomas1 said:
I do not understand how people like him get any followers! Assholes like him make things worse for the troops in Afghanistan.

The government probably would have gotten involved if that was a Bible. There does exist a double standard if you ask me and it is messed up.
The government would probably not get involved if it was a Bible. You are allowed to burn a US flag if you want, it is all protected under free speech.

Kush

He's GOAL is to incite rage, to infuriate, and to offend. Yes, the Quran is a holy book, just as the Bible is, but the reality is that religion is not defined or embodied purely by the books that teach their principles, but by those people who believe in it. This was a cheap and ignorant way to earn his 15 minutes of fame. His worth has simply decreased in my eyes, as a human being, and thus makes him LESS worthy of response or retaliation.

Just my 2 cents.

In addition, let me give you a perspective on Gainesville, Florida. Home to the Florida Gators, it is a college town, pure and simple. EVERYTHING revolves around the university, but go more than a couple miles outside of the university limits, and the scene changes drastically. I remember in highschool, going tubing at a nearby river with a whole group of friends... never have i seen more confederate flags in my life (which, being born and raised in south florida, isnt so surprising). For all our diversity here in Florida, miami/ft laud. and otherwise, we are still very much a Southern state... and morons like these earn a following through manipulation, taking advantage of the uneducated.

Guardians used to practice in gainesville every month. And i went to undergrad at NSU in Davie, FL, where a pocket of the KKK still (quietly) exists today. Not all of Florida is South Beach.

Vijay

Kush said:
In addition, let me give you a perspective on Gainesville, Florida. Home to the Florida Gators, it is a college town, pure and simple. EVERYTHING revolves around the university, but go more than a couple miles outside of the university limits, and the scene changes drastically. I remember in highschool, going tubing at a nearby river with a whole group of friends... never have i seen more confederate flags in my life (which, being born and raised in south florida, isnt so surprising). For all our diversity here in Florida, miami/ft laud. and otherwise, we are still very much a Southern state... and morons like these earn a following through manipulation, taking advantage of the uneducated.

Guardians used to practice in gainesville every month. And i went to undergrad at NSU in Davie, FL, where a pocket of the KKK still (quietly) exists today. Not all of Florida is South Beach.
this is a tangent - but just read it and applies to the southern US - some shocking stats:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/12/civil-war-still-divides-americans/

gursikhpreet1

Kush said:
we are still very much a Southern state... and morons like these earn a following through manipulation, taking advantage of the uneducated.

yup- i lived in Georgia for about 16 years and the KKK still resides in parts on GA