remo help

monisingh

ok so my dhol is about half sanded and i want to know which 2 remo skins (has to be a diplomat not ambassodar) has the best sound acording to you

this will be going on a sanded nagi kachi pakki when i finish sanding the rest of it and oiling it up

remember pls put 2 diff remo diplomats

i heard good things bout smooth white

DjDhol-E

let me put it this way, its like your trying to compare a magnaflow exhaust system with a dynomax exhaust system for a car. both systems will give you a nice deep sound but you cant really say which system is the better out of the both. their gonna sound very similar. same situation with the remo skins. neither one is better. it just depends on preference/the way u tune it. you can put a cheap plain clear thilli on ur dhol and if you tune it right, it can sound just like one of chuch mahis dhols. so IMO it doesnt matter between the two.

monisingh

JupMasterG said:
how come it has to be a diplomat?

just curious...

ambassodars sound to thick in my opinion 10 myler single ply film versus a diplomat 7.5 single ply myler film i still want it to have a folk sound or atleast close to a folk sound but i don`t want to be changing my gbc heads every 3 months they never last and i`m willing to try out remo and see how long it lasts

DjDhol-E

monisingh said:
JupMasterG said:

just curious...

ambassodars sound to thick in my opinion 10 myler single ply film versus a diplomat 7.5 single ply myler film i still want it to have a folk sound or atleast close to a folk sound but i don`t want to be changing my gbc heads every 3 months they never last and i`m willing to try out remo and see how long it lasts
read my post one more time LOL

monisingh

DjDhol-E said:
monisingh said:
JupMasterG said:

just curious...

read my post one more time LOL

sharaap lol

Jabar Jung

If i get a diplomat right, how can i install it, do i get another one and just take the ring and put it on top of it or just put the hooks through it?

is it possible to re rope the dhol and make both tilli and dagga side without nuts and bolts?

shergabroo

Jabar Jung said:
If i get a diplomat right, how can i install it, do i get another one and just take the ring and put it on top of it or just put the hooks through it?

is it possible to re rope the dhol and make both tilli and dagga side without nuts and bolts?
If you're going to get the remo diplomat, you're going to have to put a ring over it. If your dhol has a ring for the tilli side, then it should work on the remo head as long as it fits. You won't be able to put hooks through the remo heads like you can with those indian drum heads (GBC, MR, etc...) because they have this hard plastic/glue inside the rim (for protection I guess). But if you don't have a ring on your dhol right now, you can get another remo head and take out the ring and put it over the remo head you plan on using OR you can just take the ring out of the tilli drumhead you have right now (I'm assuming you have an indian drumhead on it) and use that. You just need to make sure you get the right size remo skin. hope this helped :)

Jabar Jung said:

Make sure you get the right size remo as sher gabroo stated. Sometimes the Remo sizes could be off by a little because Indian drum heads are made differently. You have to put some type of ring on the remo head to creat a barrier (either use a desi one that came with your dhol or just use and old head or another remo and use the ring on top of your new head) because the hooks will pierce the film and alter the sound or even rip the head. The ring on top of your head is whats taking the majority of the pressure and that won't rip since its metal (or something solid) usually. My suggestion to you if you aren't sure what exact size you have is take your drum to a local Sam Ash or Guitar Center and take a few sample heads to measure the exact size or the closest. If its off by a centimeter or two, its no problem as you can adjust it when tuning. This is only if you don't know your size. Good Luck