• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Rochester Bhangra @ Bhangra Blowout 2010

dheerja

I'm SO glad you guys got new vardis in jodis, it makes such a huge difference! Your dancers have improved a ton since I saw you at Fever, I can tell that you've been working on everyone's form. The girls match up to the guys really well now, while I remember before the guys stood out as stronger dancers. One big thing I noticed were betkas, almost everyone is hunched over when they do betkas while backs should be completely straight. You guys do a lot of them too so definitely work on that. Overall I would say to keep working on dancing form and style!

• Girls watch the khunde form. During transitions in position (shoulder to holding out in hand, swinging, etc.) it looks awkward and doesn't hit until 2 beats into the final position. Keep working with them and getting comfortable! You could also consider using katos, I think you'll feel a lot more comfortable and have more movement.
  • The little kick step in the khunde/sapp song where you're in the cluster on the left doesn't have much of an effect because you're facing sideways and you're clustered on the left. I'd either save that for a better formation that showcases it more, or change up that cluster.
  • Loved how you handed the khunde over to the guys! That was so cool!
  • Watch the betkas at around 2:50, when you're facing sideways it's really obvious when people are completely hunched over. Make sure everyone has their backs straight, it'll look a lot better.
  • So I really love that beginning choreo for the jhummar, but I felt like it didn't quite go with the mix. The mix at that point is really hyped up and your choreo is simple and slow. I think it'd be cool if you had a quieter part in the music there and then it went into the hyped part with faster choreo.
  • Red guys/girls are sick dancers. At around 3:30 make sure the girls are extending their arms and widening their stance more. It looks like they almost don't have enough room to complete that choreo.
  • Love the line coming forward in the jhummar, though it did remind me a lot of VCU.
  • Phumanian was really cool and new, but I couldn't really tell what was happening because it seemed like people were doing different things? I liked what the yellow guys were doing!
  • Make sure the yellow girls are extending their arm movements and opening their stances, it looks sloppy around the phumanian.
  • I really like how you guys work with levels, you do some formations where people in the front are squatting and people in the back are standing up, and it looks sweet.
  • Jugni was HOT
  • That dhamaal choreo right before Marhak Punjaban Di was awesome, a lot of teams do little steps here and there in dhamaal but I love how you made a combination
  • Giddha for Marhak Punjaban Di was a really cute idea, I would just make the choreo a lot stronger. It needs to be really hard hitting, watch some of the old NYU giddha choreo to see what I mean (2005-2007)
  • In the last minute people start to lose energy, legs and jumps are still high which is great, but the arms really start to look messy. Make sure regardless of how tired you are you're fully extending your arms because that's the most obvious part
  • Really liked the choreo for the last minute, it was unique and entertaining
Nice job guys, you've come leaps and bounds this year and if you keep working on form and execution you'll bring it next year!

Amit

dheerja said:
I'm SO glad you guys got new vardis in jodis, it makes such a huge difference! Your dancers have improved a ton since I saw you at Fever, I can tell that you've been working on everyone's form. The girls match up to the guys really well now, while I remember before the guys stood out as stronger dancers. One big thing I noticed were betkas, almost everyone is hunched over when they do betkas while backs should be completely straight. You guys do a lot of them too so definitely work on that. Overall I would say to keep working on dancing form and style!

• Girls watch the khunde form. During transitions in position (shoulder to holding out in hand, swinging, etc.) it looks awkward and doesn't hit until 2 beats into the final position. Keep working with them and getting comfortable! You could also consider using katos, I think you'll feel a lot more comfortable and have more movement.
  • The little kick step in the khunde/sapp song where you're in the cluster on the left doesn't have much of an effect because you're facing sideways and you're clustered on the left. I'd either save that for a better formation that showcases it more, or change up that cluster.
  • Watch the betkas at around 2:50, when you're facing sideways it's really obvious when people are completely hunched over. Make sure everyone has their backs straight, it'll look a lot better.
  • So I really love that beginning choreo for the jhummar, but I felt like it didn't quite go with the mix. The mix at that point is really hyped up and your choreo is simple and slow. I think it'd be cool if you had a quieter part in the music there and then it went into the hyped part with faster choreo.
  • Red guys/girls are sick dancers. At around 3:30 make sure the girls are extending their arms and widening their stance more. It looks like they almost don't have enough room to complete that choreo.
  • Love the line coming forward in the jhummar, though it did remind me a lot of VCU.
  • Phumanian was really cool and new, but I couldn't really tell what was happening because it seemed like people were doing different things? I liked what the yellow guys were doing!
  • Make sure the yellow girls are extending their arm movements and opening their stances, it looks sloppy around the phumanian.
  • I really like how you guys work with levels, you do some formations where people in the front are squatting and people in the back are standing up, and it looks sweet.
  • Jugni was HOT
  • That dhamaal choreo right before Marhak Punjaban Di was awesome, a lot of teams do little steps here and there in dhamaal but I love how you made a combination
  • Giddha for Marhak Punjaban Di was a really cute idea, I would just make the choreo a lot stronger. It needs to be really hard hitting, watch some of the old NYU giddha choreo to see what I mean (2005-2007)
  • In the last minute people start to lose energy, legs and jumps are still high which is great, but the arms really start to look messy. Make sure regardless of how tired you are you're fully extending your arms because that's the most obvious part
Nice job guys, you've come leaps and bounds this year and if you keep working on form and execution you'll bring it next year!
Great critique Dheerja! Much appreciated. Now do one for Cornell! :)

dheerja

Amit said:
dheerja said:

• Jugni was HOT
Haha all you demanding people! Did you guys post your vid?

Amit

dheerja said:
Amit said:
dheerja said:

• Jugni was HOT
Haha all you demanding people! Did you guys post your vid?
Now we did: http://bhangrateamsforum.com/discuss/index.php/topic,9542.0.html

And love you too Ahmad

Kartik

Krishna ripped this performance. Great job guys, really loved meeting all of you and wish we weren't right after you so we could've seen this live. Looks you guys really took it to the next level, and I've got nothing but respect for what you guys have been doing. Can't wait to see you at Pao!