• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Russel Peters' new movie - about an all Sikh hockey team

Nikhil

So a question for you all...does anyone find it offensive when Russell jokes about Sikhs? Does anyone think he's having too much fun with this concept? I'm really interested to know.

BBC

Nikhil said:
So a question for you all...does anyone find it offensive when Russell jokes about Sikhs? Does anyone think he's having too much fun with this concept? I'm really interested to know.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Badwal

And Im calling them ALL Gyani's

The GYANI hockey players are sick

Yes GYANI's , GYANI power for the win!

Tuckerrrr

Nikhil said:
Na

hardeep_singh

ranjit.singh said:
Badwal said:
And Im calling them ALL Gyani's

The GYANI hockey players are sick

Yes GYANI's , GYANI power for the win!
you're cool brah
these kids, it's sad, they're all about reppin "putt sardaran de" then they go around calling sardars gyanis, salay roday nirankari.

jaz89

i really don't get this north american thing of calling Singhs 'gyanis'. never heard it here in the UK before..personally i think it's cheap and derogatory

ranjit singh

jaz89 said:
i really don't get this north american thing of calling Singhs 'gyanis'. never heard it here in the UK before..personally i think it's cheap and derogatory
it's a canadian thing, not US. i think only the stupid Canadians say it. the smarter ones don't

Hattpichay

ranjit.singh said:
jaz89 said:
it's a canadian thing, not US. i think only the stupid Canadians say it. the smarter ones don't
I've heard it in the US also....mostly from the reincarnations of Tupac

hardeep_singh

Hattpichay said:
ranjit.singh said:
jaz89 said:
I've heard it in the US also....mostly from the reincarnations of Tupac
lol don't insult tupac by associating him with thugged out desi losers

H.S.

Nikhil said:
well, the thing that bothers me is that he doesn't know the difference between SIKH and being PUNJABI. His comments and jokes usually are meant for Punjabi's and poking fun at the Punjabi culture...yet he uses the word SIKH.

It's annoying.

itsG

H.S. said:
Nikhil said:
well, the thing that bothers me is that he doesn't know the difference between SIKH and being PUNJABI. His comments and jokes usually are meant for Punjabi's and poking fun at the Punjabi culture...yet he uses the word SIKH.

It's annoying.
hmm...never really realised tht shit..i guess i gotta go back and look into tht but even the other way idk i guess like personally it doesnt hurt/insult me but then when i think of it in the views of viewers who don't know who Sikhs are or who Punjabis are then im like damn nigga needs to change shit up