• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

shivchand gets sent home on indias got talent

DJ Jassi

wow this show is pretty dumb...the other day i was watching it and they kept some next bhangra+hip hop group that wasn't even good at all

Sunny B

ਪੁਰਜਾ ਪੁਰਜਾ ਕਟ ਮਰੈ ਕਬਹੂ ਨ ਛਾਡੈ ਖੇਤੁ...
Fudddu judgement....

faysal

I wrote this on your facebook post as well Gman but I'll leave it here too. They came to showcase what they do which is raw live bhangra,the judges didn't want to see that because they want something the general public can appreciate, why do you think see random school teams in india copying empire and lbc and not Khalsa College Amritsar? because it appeals to the masses! Plenty of teams here have tried doing shows like Britains got talent and look who got 2nd place in the final....signature (the sardar and the paki mj imitator) so it's like trying to get a live team to win bruin....just won't happen. The act doesn't match the show. 'Tis a simple truth, live bhangra will never be big in the rest of the world, that pleasure will be reserved only for the hearts of those who can truly appreciate and understand it in all it's intricacies.

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
There's so much blind devotion to live bhangra... it's ridiculous. It's not even about live bhangra not being appreciated and not being appealing to the masses, but this wasn't that great of a performance. You could see mistakes happen even when they edited the video and switched camera views to only highlight to coordinated parts. For example, the saap jumps are off in terms of angles. (One of the orange is completely off when everyone is facing front). At 1:52, when they go down to do squats, they're off in terms of timing. Hands are not cleanly coordinated either and facial expressions vary from dancer to dancer. And as I said, you can barely watch the performance because they keep cutting off to reactions from the judges, close-ups to individual dancers & dholi/singer/instrumentalists but I could draw that conclusion of lack of cleanliness from the few clips they did show. And if you're going live, your singer needs to be on point as well, since in this competition, you're competing against people with professionally edited tracks.

Congrats to the team for having the balls to go out there and tryout at a highly publicized competition with a dance that can only be appreciated by a minority of people, but trying to defend themselves by saying that they don't have stamina, the lights are too bright and its too hot is just pathetic when you're trying to prove that you are among India's finest dancers.

Navkarn

if i were a judge i would have buzzed them 20 secs into this. dumb choice by shivchand to go to a show like this and do a normal bhangra routine. this isnt a bhangra comp, it's a talent show which requires you to bring something new and innovative to the table. they could have stuck with bhangra, but in order to move on they needed a wow factor and not do something thats been done by hundreds already. great call on the judges sending them home. in the american version of this you, you need to be able to do something that keeps an audience on the edge of their seat for an hour if you were to win and get a show in vegas. live bhangra for an hour as a headline show, LOL yeah right. there have been some AMAZING talents on the american show this year but even they were sent home because there act has no versatility and probably couldn't go on for more than 10 min. stop crying and realize what the show demands before before you make an awful decision like such and try to defend a pointless cultural argument. kiran kher with the shutdown was pro.

GSingh

If bhangra can't sustain an hour long show (whatever the vegas equivalent in india is) then why send any of the other bhangra groups through. It doesn't make sense to reject them for the reasons that they did. You heard the crowd roar in applause int eh beginning with the shikke, Kiren herself was smiling, and enjoying the performance. I do agree that it was not shivchand's platform to shine but the way the judges sent them home was beysti on the highest level IMO. In faysal's words "It's shivchand, they don't know what off beat is".

Also agree with kinnel that the excuses they presented were lame :\

And to the comment about his voice being bad? WTF his vouce is raw! folk as hell! If they want jassi sidhu or some shit singing a live set then idk what to say........

faizan

Just shut up and dance
First of all, that team was wack. the singer was wack, they had weak josh, and they weren't clean.

Second, the judges did not even judge them against the rediculously entertaining stuff, they judged them against other bhangra groups! You don't think kiran kher and the other guy (i forget his name), know bhangra? they are punjabi man...they have probably seen the nasiest teams at india day functions and shit. They are famous, they probably see this all the time. Growing up and as stars. They knew what bhangra was supposed to look like, and sound like, and they knew this team was a B- at best. They did not get tricked by the "bachay" bullshit. So what if they are kids? you ever seen kids in india dance and sing? They would run laps around this team. Jawani warriors would run laps around this team (possible overstatment alert). These judges were good.

third, all those judges were down with Bhangra, they had a punjabi audience, and they still did not pass? What else do you want? Then they made excuses? Bachhai hain, lights? wtf? haha, jw/shan-e are kids, and they love the lights. these guys weren't prepared. a team is a team, clean is clean, whether it be america, candada or india. they just sucked, and that's no one's fault but their's.

sgrewal30

I'd really love to see what bhangra teams they have seen that make these guys look like they dont have enough talent.

jatt5ab1soorma

Simer Sidhu (Virsa:OT, Virsa Folksters)
kiran and sonali BAANDRI were straight up ignorant when they talked, they wouldnt even let them explain when questioned if anyone ever did live or not, i haven't seen nobody do live ever before on this show.... they said they sucked from all the bhangra performances the judges have seen lmaooo.... stupid judges straight up..yea they weren't audience appealing as it was straight up bhangra but dont say that they danced like shit lol...they were pretty sick

AnkurK

Sonali Bendre :eek:

The judges are not stupid.
People complain about them being over the top when shutting the dancers down but dont think about what it is like being in the position of the judges. When you have thousands of acts come in just for a few limited spots, everyone that doesn't make the cut is going to sit there and want to explain why they should be a part of the next round. I actually commend the judges for taking a stand and standing by what they felt was a sub-par act.

Yeah I agree it is one thing to say that they danced like shit rather than saying they dont find their act entertaining.. maybe that was one flaw on the judges end. BUT, if you pause this video at random points you will see that synchronization was not there.

Even if they went on to the next round, these guys would put on the same bhangra performance and bring nothing new to the table to keep impressing india and viewers around the world.

Good job by the judges.

AnkurK said:

People complain about them being over the top when shutting the dancers down but dont think about what it is like being in the position of the judges. When you have thousands of acts come in just for a few limited spots, everyone that doesn't make the cut is going to sit there and want to explain why they should be a part of the next round. I actually commend the judges for taking a stand and standing by what they felt was a sub-par act.

Yeah I agree it is one thing to say that they danced like shit rather than saying they dont find their act entertaining.. maybe that was one flaw on the judges end. BUT, if you pause this video at random points you will see that synchronization was not there.

Even if they went on to the next round, these guys would put on the same bhangra performance and bring nothing new to the table to keep impressing india and viewers around the world.

Good job by the judges.
damaag tera chaalda

Ashveer

SherPunjabi408 said:
AnkurK said:

Good job by the judges.
damaag tera chaalda
I agree w Ankur, Faizan and others, this wasn't up there among Shivchand's best performances. They would have stood a shot if they went crazy fast in the intro and performed like the have in youtube videos that people have favorited. Nobody posting seems to have said "wow what a great showing by Shivchand." @Faysal this wasn't raw live bhangra, it was just a live bhangra performance, which is yawn-inducing for most after 6+ years of watching youtube performances, and the few years of live bhangra obsession it engendered. They didn't bring the usual Shivchand swag to it, and for that, they were eliminated.

Jabar Jung

bhencho anni hogi janta

To all the people above,

lets all get together right, and write a letter to them, right, and tell them to change the name of the show, right, to Delhi and Mumbai got talent. Right, because all they want is dance on music, which appeals to masses, right? Well then, definitely they should change the name of the show.

How much of a Live bhangra set can you show in a minute or w/e the time was, wasn't that much...

J paya hove, fer pata hunda. rolla paya phauddi deya ne.

dudhmakhna

real talk they should have professionals judging not just famous actors... my parents have seen a million live bhangra teams when they were in india that doesn't mean they can start judging a competition

drama queens started getting mad when the guy was asking for forgiveness if he offended anyone... what bitches