• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

taking care of dhol during winter

dudhmakhna

Member
Messages
85
so I was wondering... how do you guys take care of your dhols during the cold seasons? one of my old dhols got messed up with the cold, and I ended up just buying a new dhol (taali, roped on both sides) instead of trying to replace the heads on the old one (amb, nuts/bolts on both sides).


I have 2 dhols:
#1 - nuts/bolts on treble side, and roped dagga
#2 - roped on both sides
 
Messages
336
I keep my dhols away from the basement. I have noticed that if I keep my dhol in the basement i need to let it sit in a well heated area for the dagga side to sound better. My room is upstairs so thats where I keep my Ustaad dhol. hope that helps. Also my ustaad told me if the dagga side doesn't sound proper let it sit in the sun for a little while or have the dagga side face the sun. :) Hope that helps.
 

monisingh

New Member
Messages
279
I keep my kali taali in my basement in the winter by the fireplace because even when its off the pilot in the fireplace is always on and keeps about 10 feet of the room in front of the fireplace nice and warm, just keep your dhol in an area of the house that is at a temperature where you will feel comfortable walking around without breaking a sweet or and without shivering.and during the summer I keep my dhol AWAY from any air conditioning vents, and also if your dhol has masala on the bass then get a spoon and open up the treble and scrap that shit off because in the summer its gonna melt... but if your dhol has been treated with the masala on the wood then you have nothing to worry about even if they left the masala on the wood since its dried out.
 

LearnTheDhol

Study the Dhol in NYC!
Messages
16
really the best thing to do is to play it! that way nothing can get left to deteriorate.


otherwise, keep it away from extremely damp or dry places. try to keep the dagga skin moisturized with almond or olive oil, just a tablespoon rubbed into the head at the beginning of the season should be OK but if it starts to feel dry, add more.


the shell itself should be fine, provided you don't store it on its side-- the drum can lose its shape that way.
 

superdholi1994

Shivjot Singh Rangi (Shiv)
Messages
152
i'm sorry to hear that monisingh :(
monisingh said:
superdholi1994 said:
i hate to do the off-topic, have you heard of 'Humidipak' by Planet Waves? i hope it works on the other musical instruments, including bhangra dhol

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=4115&ProductId=523&productname=Humidipak

I remember a few weeks ago we were going to a gig and it had just stopped raining and we turned the ac on and it was kind of humid...my thili side got untuned :(
 

Dholi harsh

Member
Messages
168
I just leave it in my living room in a corner, outside of the bag though. Sometimes if the bag is insulated or padded, heat or cold might get trapped inside
 

dholi_sunny

New Member
Messages
23
In the winter, just leave it in your room or in a room where there is going to be heat or warmish temperatures. I just keep it in my bag but i leave the top open towards the vent so that the leather side doesn't harden up. And keep the ropes loosened from the dagga side as well when you're not playing. A lot of new dholis tend to leave it "perfectly" tuned once it sounds good but dont realize that it will ruin the dagga side over time because it constantly stretches it out and it stays stretched so anything could puncture it easily.

Just put powder on the dagga side every night, or every other night, and keep it in a warm place and put the dagga side towards the sun for a while as well so it doesnt harden up. And the biggest thing to keeping it sounding good during the winter is TO JUST PLAY IT! lol ;D
 
Top