• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Thor Punjaban Di - Giddha Competition - April 11, 2009

Tor Punjaban Di

New Member
Messages
41
www.ThorPunjabanDi.com

Visit the website for more information!


Thor Punjaban Di
April 11, 2009
@ The Flint Center
21250 Stevens Creek Blvd, Cupertino CA

Registration Deadline February 13, 2009
 

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,928
Nice.

But, maybe I'm not an expert on transliteration between languages, but the first thought in my head was Thor, Norse God of Thunder?

Normally I've seen it as Tor Punjaban Di
 
Messages
297
Yes, it should be Taur or Tor. But we can all understand what it means, so its all cool. You do mean Thor as in pride right?
 

Arjun Barua

Member
Messages
650
Sukhdip S. Chhina said:
Yes, it should be Taur or Tor. But we can all understand what it means, so its all cool. You do mean Thor as in pride right?
My understanding is that 'tor' means movement/motion/gait, similar to 'chaal'. But my knowledge of Punjabi is very limited, so can someone confirm?
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
Saleem said:
Nice.

But, maybe I'm not an expert on transliteration between languages, but the first thought in my head was Thor, Norse God of Thunder?

Normally I've seen it as Tor Punjaban Di
Dammit Saleem, beat me to that picture. lol
 
Messages
297
BRRUAH! said:
Sukhdip S. Chhina said:
Yes, it should be Taur or Tor. But we can all understand what it means, so its all cool. You do mean Thor as in pride right?
My understanding is that 'tor' means movement/motion/gait, similar to 'chaal'. But my knowledge of Punjabi is very limited, so can someone confirm?
Yeh Tor also means that. I wasnt thinking of it that way :)
 

Pooja

I put the double o in cool.
Messages
932
I've also seen it spelled "Tohar" and yea I thought it meant pride too, but obvs it has many meanings.
 

Mukandpuria

New Member
Messages
1,413
Pooja said:
I've also seen it spelled "Tohar" and yea I thought it meant pride too, but obvs it has many meanings.
Punjabi wasn't meant to be written in English...you can spell it what every way you really want...
 

pritpal94

Active Member
Messages
1,312
Punjabi wasn't meant to be written in English...you can spell it what every way you really want...
[/quote]

True
 

JT

New Member
Messages
90
I remembe a giddah comp went down in surrey once, and they said their would be one every year, I have yet to see the second one take place... wish you guys the best, and hopefully you can make this an annual event, as it would be nice to showcase the second art of punjab on a regular basis, like bhangra.
 

Tor Punjaban Di

New Member
Messages
41
Abhi's right: no one is really wrong in the way they spell their translation.

The "thor" in Thor Punjaban Di is definitely meant to imply the "walk, grace, swagger" of the Punjaban. Sometimes we spell it "Tor" which then gets into other spellings of "Tohar" "Taur" etc to imply the "pride, style." At the time there's some overlap and not.

We went with the "thor" spelling since it was the most phonetically sound, but also b/c it would be easier for individuals not familiar with the language or culture to be able to find the website and event name - since we definitely want to spread this part of our culture to people that aren't accustomed to seeing it as much.

Thanks for the input!
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Can we get a different website for giddha competitions? They need to stop spamming this site....
 

Chidiya

New Member
Messages
338
Glad to see more giddha comps! But it seems like they all started showing up at the same time lol
 
Top