• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Twin Cities Bhangra 2017-18 Mix

srikarran

BTF Mixing Mod
I'm proud to present Twin Cities Bhangra's mix for the 2017-18 season.

Sachin and Varsh were amazing to work with and they gave me so much room to be creative as I was still new to the mixing world. Very happy that they approached me to make their mix after having a rough start with a DJ last semester (see here).

I'm open to feedback, so please don't hold back.

Last edited:

MohitoK

Nice improvement. My favorite part was intro, and jhoomer was pretty clean as well.

My biggest critique is that I feel like a lot of your mix is lacking body, especially since you're EQ'ing the original songs pretty heavily. For example, the first minute or so and the last minute I feel like I'm listening to really loud kick and snare patterns with soft vocals, but nothing filling out the gaps. And then the whole middle part the drums are softer but it's still a similar type of sound.

I definitely think you have a lot of room to add character to all of the segments with more instruments. (Piano, bass lines, dhol, dholki, tumbi, algoza, etc ...).

Good luck with future mixes!

srikarran

BTF Mixing Mod
Nice improvement. My favorite part was intro, and jhoomer was pretty clean as well.

My biggest critique is that I feel like a lot of your mix is lacking body, especially since you're EQ'ing the original songs pretty heavily. For example, the first minute or so and the last minute I feel like I'm listening to really loud kick and snare patterns with soft vocals, but nothing filling out the gaps. And then the whole middle part the drums are softer but it's still a similar type of sound.

I definitely think you have a lot of room to add character to all of the segments with more instruments. (Piano, bass lines, dhol, dholki, tumbi, algoza, etc ...).

Good luck with future mixes!
Thanks for the critique man!

I understand where you are coming from. I have found myself asking the same question about how my mix feels like its missing something to make it feel full. Will definitely experiment with adding more instruments. I tried it once but felt it took away from the original by making things a bit cluttered but I also need to improve how I EQ them together.

The change in the type of sound throughout the mix is probably because I had used some presets for mastering the initial and final segments that were different from the ones I used for the middle segments. I have been learning and reading more about mastering and have been doing it myself in the more recent project's ive been working on. Hopefully when I put something out there worth listening to, you will be able to tell the difference.

Any further critiques or feedback would still be appreciated by anyone on this forum!!

kRRn

sahrawat

EQ etc. aside, I personally enjoy mixes that take Punjabi songs and really try to change their sound up. You've mostly added different drum tracks to make the songs more hype/danceable, but that's not necessarily interesting. Even if you're not sure about adding individual instrument tracks, there are so many instrumentals of other songs you could make use of. If you listen to First Class's Clutch City mix, Furteelay at Mela, or VSB at BBC, the segments are enhanced not just with drums and bass, but with melody as well. Basically, try to go beyond making something loud/hype so you also flex your creativity as a mixer

srikarran

BTF Mixing Mod
EQ etc. aside, I personally enjoy mixes that take Punjabi songs and really try to change their sound up. You've mostly added different drum tracks to make the songs more hype/danceable, but that's not necessarily interesting. Even if you're not sure about adding individual instrument tracks, there are so many instrumentals of other songs you could make use of. If you listen to First Class's Clutch City mix, Furteelay at Mela, or VSB at BBC, the segments are enhanced not just with drums and bass, but with melody as well. Basically, try to go beyond making something loud/hype so you also flex your creativity as a mixer
Thanks for the input. This has been suggested to me a few times since I released this mix, so I am definitely looking into exploring that area and hopefully giving my mixes more life that way.

Glad to receive more feedback and opinions. Please feel free to message me or respond here.