VCU Bhangra at Bruin Bhangra

Havish

Here is our performance from this past weekend, sorry it took a while to get up, things have been a little crazy for me. Hope you guys enjoy it as much as we enjoyed performing. The glow in the dark paint didn't show up on the camera...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eHKtA_LJipo

Congrats to DRP and Bhangra Empire for 1st and 2nd

~Havish

Manjot

deserved 1st in my opinion! I LOVED the khunday spinninngggg so sick...vardiyaans were sick and the song selection was sweet...the routine never got boring!

zagreus

Hey Havish
Will VCU be releasing their mix at some point? I've always wanted a VCU mix, they're solid and have excellent song selection. I mean really, I'll take anything from this season!

Good job though. You guys clearly deserved to placed and you guys are always sick!

Waleed

Solid performance VCJews.

Overall, it was a bit more gimmicky for the VCU bhangra that we know. I would like to see you guys grow as a traditional co-ed team, you guys are currently spear heading that new school of thought with many teams following in your footsteps. I am guessing there was pressure from the judging sheet to have some funky crowd pleasing gimmicks but as someone who has seen you perform at several occasions, I would suggest sticking with the traditional flava - that is your forte.

Song selection was good and I am looking fwd to fresh choreo next year. The move at 3:17 is almost 2 years old now. Throwback at 8:27 was nice.

DRP has worked hard this year and has been able to captivate the larger and more general audience. However, I would still say that VCU is a superior bhangra team, especially when it comes to form & grace.

ps. That was a sick intro.

Hans

I'm gonna agree with Waleed. Definitely a solid performance like always, but I don't think it was one of VCU's best. This is probably gonna sound weird coming from me, but I wasn't too into the gimmicks. I just feel you guys have a great and innovative style, and you should stick to what you do best, which is tearing it up on stage without any of those extra frills.

I will say, though, that I think this performance suffered a bit from what Sulmoney might call "MAD syndrome," which is that the mix was all over the place (sorry Waleed, but Sulman said it, not me!). The VCU mixes are usually very simple and cleanly done, but I noticed it starting to change a little bit with Blowout to make it more gangster and complex. At Blowout, I think the changes were subtle enough that it still worked out, but here it seemed kinda like a mess. There were extra beats overlaid all over the place that didn't really mesh well with the songs, and a lot of the transitions seemed very abrupt and forced, so it kinda took me out of the performance.

All that said, I probably still would've placed VCU 3rd behind Empire and DRP. Sher was alright as a solid 4th. They definitely brought some hype, but I don't think their actual dancing matched up to the 3 placing teams this time around.

I don't mean to offend you guys, these are just my bits of constructive criticism. Still a great dance like always and one of the best coed teams around.

PS. I really wish the glow in the dark dhangs worked out because that lightsaber thing would've been sick. Bringing that back from UMD 2005, your old Blowout rivals, haha.

Jeeti

I have always been a huge fan of VCU, primarily due to the constant intensity, the only comment I have is that sometimes the speed of the music during some segments is so fast that you compromise grace. With the dancers you guys have, I feel like slowing the speed down and showing more grace would play to your strengths. I agree with Waleed's point of being less gimmicky and more traditional. Still, without a doubt the best co-ed team on the east coast.

Jeeti

Also, Hans, I would like to say that I love that I am thoroughly enjoying the Sukhbir picture

its a testament to the rational bhangra community which is this forum...lets keep it that way please... because as some of you may recall...POL used to be a pretty friendly discussion forum as well, moderators keeeep your pimp hands strong.

Waleed

Hans, I agree there was something funky about the mix. VCUs mixes have been immaculate in the past (especially last years) but the Bruin mix was all over the place. However, I disagree that Empire should have placed over them, DRP is a close shave but I think VCU should've still come up on top when you look at the whole package. I wonder what the judges would have thought if VCU had kept their performance gimmick-free? Hmmm, maybe there was a heavy emphasis on gimmicks,stunts and crowd reaction on the judging sheet?

Unrelated news:
-MAD has the worse mixes no doubt. We usually finalize them in a hotel room the night before our performance.
-Jeeti, rest asured, the pimp hand is strong and is ready to spring in to action.

zagreus

It would have been interesting to see what the crowd would have thought if VCU did the performance gimmick-free. But in the end, it's in the past. Maybe next year (if they decide to do Bruin again), they might do it their way...the traditional way.

And Waleed, I've always wondered what was up with the MAD mixes. They're good, but interesting to know that they were done basically the night before.

And what about a VCU mix? Will one be posted? That'd be great!

Waleed

And Waleed, I've always wondered what was up with the MAD mixes. They're good, but interesting to know that they were done basically the night before.
Slight exaggeration on my part. Maybe not the night before, but we always put them together last min. We felt good about the song selection but our mixes were def a weakness that we identified and have received a lot of feedback on.

Havish

Just to respond to a lot of the questions that BTF and POL had...

Yes we didn't have all of our starters performing at Bruin because our semester did end like 2-3 weeks before the competition therefore it was hard getting our roster together for the show.

A lot of people have been saying a lot about the so called "gimmicks" we used and how they aren't what we do and stuff like that... We decided after blowout that we would need to change up our routine some for bruin because we knew that the competition was based a lot of audience response and the fact that the word "traditional" didn't appear in the judging sheet. We also knew that if we brought our blowout set only certain people would actually cheer for us. Therefore we decided to make these changes into the routine while keeping the rest of the set traditional.

The mix was also changed up in order to make it better and more entertaining to listen to, I posted the link for it in another thread.

As for those people who are ripping on Nana's performance, all I have to say is that you don't know jack about bhangra.

Another thing I would like to address is how many people said we should have just done what we did at blowout and keep away from the gimmicks, what I find very funny is the fact that if we did do the same set at bruin, those same people would have come on here and said "vcu should have known its bruin and done some gimmicks or things to get the audience going"

zagreus

Number 1...thank you Havish for posting the mix. I greatly appreciate as do others on here, I'm sure.
Number 2...I understand why VCU went a certain direction. It's reasonable and I commend you for it. It just didn't work out perfectly for Bruin, oh well. Life goes on. You guys have done a killer job this season, and it's been great watching you guys do your routine.

And i don't think people commented on BTF about Nana, I believe that was POL.

Jason

VCU did an amazing job at Bruin given that they had to change stuff up for the competition, by far the best co-ed team out there!

Havish

Yea, I know no one said anything about Nana on here, but I just put it in and posted the link to this page on POL

Thanks for the comments