Virsa: Our Tradition @ Motor City Bhangra 2014 (GTVHD)

Kush

all the supposed controversy aside, i REALLY enjoyed watching this set. Red jorhi murked. Congrats Virsa.

hardeep_singh

nkrishnan said:
This discussion has been had many times here, but at what point should dancers just be allowed to have free reign on stage? For example, the red jodi here, while phenomenal in terms of their nakreh and style, looked COMPLETELY different from everyone else on stage. Should dancers aim to look uniform, or should people be allowed to shine on stage? I thought the whole point of cleaning a routine anyway is to make dancers look more uniform, and it almost devalues the work that's put into that if someone can place where each dancer is doing their own thing.
venividivici said:
Touching on was nkrishnan asked about uniformity, I personally don't mind it when teams sacrifice dancing in complete sync for individual nakhra and swagger in their moves. Looking at shan-e-punjab, khalsa junction, sgpd, UBC sets from 5-7 years ago there was a lot more emphasis put on nakhra and dancing freely and to me it allows the teams to make more of a connection with the audience and it even comes across on youtube vids.
if you watch indian live team performances, there is generally a dancer or two who stand out because they seem to be "adding" more to their dancing, whether its more extension on moves, higher jumps, faster spins, higher legs, extra motions in between beats, more bounce on squats, more crisp head motions, lower on jugni, etc. the thing is, it's just the way they dance naturally, whether it's the result of training or that's just how they're able to naturally channel their energy. there are plenty of dancers who actually put effort into trying to dance like this and those dancers usually screw up and throw themselves off beat. examples of dancers in the circuit who naturally dance at a higher level on stage are lucky(virsa), harry and gurpinder(nypd), gursh(nishani), bobby(furteelay). they still dance on beat and hit the moves just like everyone else but they stand out because they add more to their motions and i'm of the opinion that it actually adds to a performance because it tends to help motivate other dancers and it just looks cool seeing how the extra motions are seamlessly incorporated. yes there's a huge emphasis on uniformity but i see no problem with a performance where everyone is dancing at a good level and there's a dancer or two killing it even more, its not the same as if you have dancers slacking and the performance lacks uniformity because of it. so i think teams should definitely not try to tone these kind of dancers down because it tends to back fire. first time i saw lucky dance was GSB and he killed it, dude has like double jointed shoulders or something cuz he hyper extends his arms on any chaffa or clapping move; after gsb virsa danced at t-dot and from the video of that performance i could tell that lucky was putting effort into toning down his dancing to try to be uniform with everyone else. it just didn't look as good cuz i think dancers like him need to just dance freely otherwise they look like they're struggling to stay on beat when they tone it down cuz they're used to faster motions/more extension. congrats to virsa, loved the set.

gursh313

KarnSingh said:
hardeep_singh said:
nkrishnan said:
This discussion has been had many times here, but at what point should dancers just be allowed to have free reign on stage? For example, the red jodi here, while phenomenal in terms of their nakreh and style, looked COMPLETELY different from everyone else on stage. Should dancers aim to look uniform, or should people be allowed to shine on stage? I thought the whole point of cleaning a routine anyway is to make dancers look more uniform, and it almost devalues the work that's put into that if someone can place where each dancer is doing their own thing.
venividivici said:
Touching on was nkrishnan asked about uniformity, I personally don't mind it when teams sacrifice dancing in complete sync for individual nakhra and swagger in their moves. Looking at shan-e-punjab, khalsa junction, sgpd, UBC sets from 5-7 years ago there was a lot more emphasis put on nakhra and dancing freely and to me it allows the teams to make more of a connection with the audience and it even comes across on youtube vids.
if you watch indian live team performances, there is generally a dancer or two who stand out because they seem to be "adding" more to their dancing, whether its more extension on moves, higher jumps, faster spins, higher legs, extra motions in between beats, more bounce on squats, more crisp head motions, lower on jugni, etc. the thing is, it's just the way they dance naturally, whether it's the result of training or that's just how they're able to naturally channel their energy. there are plenty of dancers who actually put effort into trying to dance like this and those dancers usually screw up and throw themselves off beat. examples of dancers in the circuit who naturally dance at a higher level on stage are lucky(virsa), harry and gurpinder(nypd), gursh(nishani), bobby(furteelay). they still dance on beat and hit the moves just like everyone else but they stand out because they add more to their motions and i'm of the opinion that it actually adds to a performance because it tends to help motivate other dancers and it just looks cool seeing how the extra motions are seamlessly incorporated. yes there's a huge emphasis on uniformity but i see no problem with a performance where everyone is dancing at a good level and there's a dancer or two killing it even more, its not the same as if you have dancers slacking and the performance lacks uniformity because of it. so i think teams should definitely not try to tone these kind of dancers down because it tends to back fire. first time i saw lucky dance was GSB and he killed it, dude has like double jointed shoulders or something cuz he hyper extends his arms on any chaffa or clapping move; after gsb virsa danced at t-dot and from the video of that performance i could tell that lucky was putting effort into toning down his dancing to try to be uniform with everyone else. it just didn't look as good cuz i think dancers like him need to just dance freely otherwise they look like they're struggling to stay on beat when they tone it down cuz they're used to faster motions/more extension. congrats to virsa, loved the set.
gursh sucks ...
<3

Hsingh01

Anyone know the song/boli used at the very beginning? It's not in the song list and I've been searching for it everywhere.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Hsingh01 said:
Anyone know the song/boli used at the very beginning? It's not in the song list and I've been searching for it everywhere.

from Gurkawal Sidhu's Jalwa (Warriors) song. it's not out yet.

GMoneySingh

The beginning boli is actually from Virsa: Our Tradition's very own Gurkawal Sidhu's upcoming new song. It will be released in a few weeks. Keep an eye out for it ;)

Sgill93

GMoneySingh said:
The beginning boli is actually from Virsa: Our Tradition's very own Gurkawal Sidhu's upcoming new song. It will be released in a few weeks. Keep an eye out for it ;)

was dope

Billoo0

great job boys... red jori, mr. singh killed it

that mix of kaur bs dil dhadke sounded so sick... congrats on first!

lakha23

ਅਣਖ ਨਾਲ ਜਿਊਣਾ
Loved the chaal song you guys had. Congrats on first, definitely well deserved; hope to see more from y'all in the circuit! Keep it up! bruahhhhh

Archana

Loved the set guys! I can clearly see why this placed with traditional being the heavy factor at this comp. this set catered to it. However, this is also Virsa's forte, they are folk. You guys did what you do best, you guys had fun on stage and it showed! I thoroughly enjoyed this set! I see you Frank, money, vadda, sundeep, kevin. Killed it guys!!! Keep bringing folk sets, just clean it up. :)

Hrithik

Good to see the team made a s*** load of improvement from Notorious last year. Shoutout to the red and black jodis; straight killed it. Good to see the youngin teams taking over ( FCB/Virsa ;) )

The Honest Truth

TBH, in my opinion, i really have no clue how this performance placed or even won. The song selection wasn't really the best and the dancing seemed very lackluster and inconsistent, although i must say the red jorhi is very, very talented. The flow of the set didnt make sense to me and it felt as though the mix really was just a mashup of everyone's favorite song they like put together. Smiles could have also been a lot better. Although im not a huge fan of "sher" intros, i really did like the one you guys chose and it was nice start to the routine. I also LOVED the jhummar segment of pappi gill's moor, the choreo matched up really well with the song. I dont mean to be harsh, i may sound like it, but I really just didn't understand this set.