Week 1 Matchup 1: hrsfhm vs. DJ Vig

Status
Not open for further replies.

TegHans

BTF Mixing Mod
Here are the mixes from the first challenge of this year's mixing ladder! We have uploaded the mixes as private SoundCloud files. This way, the mixes cannot be shared or liked by anybody until after the voting period is over.

The original song was Mele Vich Labda Reha by Bindrakhia:

DJ 1:

DJ 2:

You can vote by commenting below. Voting closes on Thursday at 11:59 pm EST. Remember that voting is only open to those with 10 or more BTF posts. Your vote will not be counted if you do not have at least 10 posts.

wadz

I can't vote b/c i don't have enough posts lol but i'll throw in some quick thoughts:

The simplicity of the overlap pre-drop really works in DJ 1's favor - the bassline bounces nicely with the song and it meshes nicely. the buildup and drop could've used some more work though - there's not a ton going on beyond the riser (which sounds like a kazoo?) and the drop was missing a bit of oomph that could've made it hit harder. maybe attacking a little bit more with an 808 or changing up the backing sample to boost the energy may have worked better. Overall I enjoyed it - definitely potential here to develop in future matchups!

Starting off DJ 2 gives off a bad impression with the off-key bollywood strings sample which clashes with the tumbi. Things get better when the vocals kick in and I liked the trap overlay for a bit, but that's about it in terms of the actual mix. The same loop plays for 75% of the mix, and though I do like the attempts at breaking it up the mix could've used something more substantive to build towards or just give it more flavor. Definitely keep experimenting and don't be afraid of mixing things up!

Last edited:

srikarran

BTF Mixing Mod
DJ 2: @wadz pretty much summed up what was going wrong. Definitely try to pick sounds that compliment your track and listen to more (good) mixes and originals to get an understanding of how you want to select and place your layers and work from there.

DJ 1: Good Job. I would try to spread the sound more and pan certain instruments, add effects like delay to certain instruments to create a wide sound and open up the center for your vocals and low freqs, and play with the levels of those to get a clear sounding track. The snare rolls you have panned and it definitely adds a good flavor to your mix. At the drop, the 808 is a bit loud for me so I would bring that down a bit.

I vote DJ 1

Last edited:

MohitoK

I vote DJ 1

DJ 1: The basic idea and bassline were lit, but you could have done so much more in terms of rounding the mix out with precussion. The kick was pretty meh as well, picking up frequencies that you liked in it and using a compressor could have added some pop.

DJ 2: Nice 808s, but definitely some pitching issues.

GSingh

DJ 1 -- original song is middle and added layers are stereo -- you could blend it better to make it sound "whole". Overall, the simplicity played in your favor since DJ 2's mix was really cluttered and had pitch issues.

Vote: DJ 1

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
DJ 1: wasn’t a fan of your intro, but your mix really jelled with me after 0:10. Lots of high hats used, which we hear a lot of in mixes in these, so it becomes redundant. 2nd favorite part was the wind up and other effects thrown in from 0:31 to 0:37 and the drop right after. I wish the drop hit a little harder, but did hear some deep bass used after which gave your mix a great low end. I liked that you decide to change things up with the song after that point, which really gives the listener a fresh take on things.

DJ 2: As wadz stated, your intro was really off-key. It kinda gave me a headache to be honest. I liked what you did to incorporate the song after that point. I enjoyed the dhol beats throws in 0:24-0:25 – it prevented your mix from sounded too boring/repetitive. Not sure that I really like the 1 second pause at 0:29-0:30. I wish you gave a listener a little bit more toward the end of your mix. Your outro of the shattered glass and police sounds seems rushed to me – like you were just trying to get it done & submit it in time.

My vote: DJ 1

~ Basim :)

P.S. - Ty to everyone that voted so far and especially those are provided some feedback to the DJs. You may not realize how much this helps and is a lot of the reason why many DJ's enjoy the ladder. Over the course of the ladder, I will try to get around to providing feedback to as many DJs as possible with my limited time. To those still reading - let your "voice" be heard & VOTE! Even DJ's participating can vote (just not in their own topic of course, lol). Just as reminder, there will be a PRIZE given to the individual that most consistently votes and/or provides feedback.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.