Week 1 Matchup 2: ASM vs. DJ Juggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasnoor98

BTF Mixing Mod
Linked below are the mixes for matchup 2 of our first week in the mixing ladder! Both DJs were assigned the song Pher Tehnu Man Ja Geh by Tru Skool, linked below.

Each mixer's submissions are also listed below anonymously.

DJ 1's rendition:

DJ 2's rendition:

You can vote by commenting below with your choice of which DJ (1 or 2) mixed the song more effectively. Feedback is also welcome.
Voting closes on Thursday, June 28th at 11:59 pm EST. Remember that voting is only open to those with 10 or more BTF posts. Your vote will not be counted if you do not have at least 10 posts.

amanatwalmart

Both mixes are really good. Dj 1 if you didn't change the song i probably would have voted for you since it totally threw off the high-pitch theme of the song.
My vote goes to Dj 2

UmerQureshi96

Staff member
DJ 1 that opening was super cool and overall dug the cut a lot, but wasn't a fan of the deep voice at the drop.
DJ 2 I'm a sucker for hip hop samples in bhangra mixes and that one was so smoothly mixed into it. Too much aag in that cut.
Gonna go with DJ 2

mogul517

Not enough posts to vote but some thoughts -
both mixes were great but ended up going in the hip hop/trap direction. I'm starting to see similar patterns of mixes in this ladder but I thought that song had a lot of potential in terms of mixing up the genres a bit (it had a more natural sounding drum kit and some interesting samples), so hoping to see some more risk in that department. I loved DJ 1's opening - i thought the stereo spread of the alghoza played really well with the gritty bass. I really liked DJ 2's use of the west coast hip hop - you could definitely hear those vibes in the original song so it was cool to hear it extended out.

GSingh

DJ 2 had this one easily. DJ 1's biggest downfall was that intro -- immediately threw me off and i couldn't get back into it.

DJ 2, could have had much cleaner execution though -- whole mix felt like a 128k super compressed sound instead of wide and punchy. Great concept though, you got it this week. :)

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
What makes the ladder great is that listeners have various opinions on what they liked/didn't like....

I know many commented on loving DJ 1's opening, but my thoughts were in line with GSingh - I couldn't get over the intro. That constant drowned out heavy bass sound for like 12 seconds was not my thing. I enjoyed your ending and smooth outro. I think if you had a different intro, it would have been a lot tougher choice for me.

DJ 2's mix was a lot cleaner and while the sound effects (i.e. dhol roll, shattered glass, etc) are nothing special, your transitions were really clean and the rap samples used blended well. I just would have a bit more variety - since the sample used extended for nearly 20 seconds.

My vote: DJ2

Last edited:

MohitoK

DJ 2. Nice use of hip hop samples that didn't feel forced. Agree with @GSingh , widen those layers out and utilize panning and the mix will be next level!

Status
Not open for further replies.