Week 3 Matchup 1: Ja$han-a-Ja$han vs. RSD | Theme: Hip-Hop/Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasnoor98

BTF Mixing Mod
Below are the mixes for matchup 1 of our third week in the mixing ladder! Both DJs were assigned the song It's Funky Enough - D.O.C, linked below.

Each mixer's submissions are also listed below anonymously.

DJ 1:

DJ 2:

You can vote by commenting below with your choice of which DJ (1 or 2) mixed the song more effectively. Feedback is also welcome.
Voting closes on Thursday, July 26th at 11:59 pm EST. Remember that voting is only open to those with 10 or more BTF posts. Your vote will not be counted if you do not have at least 10 posts.

Amundeep

From the Bay Area, Attending UIUC
DJ 1: The vibe of this mix was soooo good, the instrumental layers remind me of a blend between Kid Cudi and Paak. Loved the slow introduction and that subtle vinyl snare before the beat kicked in. I straight GEEKED when Notorious Jatt came in lol, great choice and it fit the beat well. I also liked how you chose when to take out the metallic-y tumbi sample and it added to the bounce of the hip-hop beat.

DJ 2: Very strong hip-hop beat, lot of cool layers in here. I feel like a couple times in the mix it could've used a little more removal of some of those layers (or different beats) just so the mix would have some more variance and didn't sound the same throughout.

Dope matchup, gonna go with DJ 1.

MohitoK

I vote DJ1. Mix was dope! The way you introduced Notorious Jatt could have been much better.

UmerQureshi96

Staff member
DJ 1: the buttery jazzy vibe from the beginning combined with the notorious jatt intro is a beaut
DJ 2: got my head banging, seriously good mixing. Lotta good layers had me vibin the entire time

Difficult as hell but gotta give it to DJ 1 for such a unique direction

mogul517

Dj 2 definitely sounded better produced - the percussion was dope and the stereo imaging was nice and clear but DJ 1's mix was so smooth. Did not see that song going in the direction that DJ 1 mixed it. I vote DJ 1

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
DJ 1: Build up was a little slow and bit too quiet for my standards; I think you could have improved it by using a fade in effect with increasing volume levels gradually, rather than just suddenly at 0:10. I absolutely loved the use of pianos at 0:18 and how you incorporate them throughout your mix. Your mix had a nice flow and bhangra beat to it, which was a great fusion between the two music genres. Overall, I think you killed it.

DJ 2: I loved the roar at the beginning of your intro, but my ears felt overwhelmed with the amount of sounds from 0:08-0:17. I think you were trying to do too much here and if you kept it simple, I feel your mix would have had a much stronger intro overall. I did like the variety of effects that you used throughout the mix, but nothing really stood out or popped for me. It almost felt like you were just adding stuff for the sake of adding it. I liked how you incorporated the main chorus and things you did from 0:58-1:11. The outro was nice, but I just felt DJ 1’s mix flowed a lot better than yours.

My vote: DJ 1

~ Basim :)

GSingh

I thought DJ1's approach was more unique. It still had some clashing sounds and whatnot but overall was v nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.