• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Week 5: Bracket B - Final Matchup (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mans

BTF Mixing Mod
Welcome to the final week of the mixing ladder for the Bracket B! We want to thank all of the DJs that have participated so far and all of the listeners that have voted/provided feedback.

Below are the mixes for Bracket B - Final Matchup in the mixing ladder! Please vote for your favorite mix below. Feedback is also welcome, and encouraged!

Voting closes on Thursday, July 2nd at 11:59 pm EST. Remember that voting is only open to valid BTF accounts. Newly made accounts will be monitored for possible foul play.

ATTENTION MIXERS:
As a reminder, if mixers vote on every OTHER matchup (BOTH BRACKETS) for this week, they will have 2 votes added to their own matchup’s tally in their favor! DO NOT VOTE IN YOUR OWN MATCHUP!

The theme of the matchup was Jhummer.

Both DJs were assigned the song Putt Saradaran De - Lehmber Hussainpuri, linked below:

DJ 1:

DJ 2:

DJ 3:

Last edited:

Jasnoor98

BTF Mixing Mod
My vote would be DJ 3!

Nice vibe by DJ 1. The inclusion of YWF is interesting haha but keys match well. I would've liked to see a bit more of the challenge song. Crazy how DJ 1 and DJ 3 used the same songs (I'm guessing similar keys led you to them). I feel that vocals could be brought out just a tad bit more here since they seem to blend in with other instruments the slightest.

DJ 2 Good throwback song at the end! I would've liked to hear the chorus of it in the track too. Guitar sample fits very well with the vibe of the song. Bass patterns are also engaging. Hope you consider making it longer and posting it publicly!

DJ 3 I think with the slight pitching and piano keys, this mix sounds brighter and a bit more engaging than DJ 1. Great song selection to match the challenge song. Also like the flourish near the end and the finish.

Arman_Sahota

Holy!! By far the hardest round. Honestly speaking, all three of these DJ's absolutely killed it. But ima have to go with DJ 3.

Mans

BTF Mixing Mod
DJ 3

As mentioned its crazy that Dj 1 and 3 both ended up sampling Young Wild and free haha

swisscheese

WOW DJ1 and 3 using the same song XD
Firstly, comments:
DJ 1: Honestly, the use of Young Wild and Free was quite creative for both DJ 1 and 3, but the fact that it was EQ'ed a bit better in DJ 3's mix def gives them an edge. I think there were parts where the mix felt a bit drawn out and I was left wanting for more of a transition. On the other hand, the sampling used in the hits did seem a bit abrupt and counterproductive to the festive and chill vibe that the original song and Young Wild and Free were trying to create. This mix was a few tweaks and perhaps a layer away from being the best here!

DJ 2: The snare samplings here stood out quite well and really added to a festive jhoomar like vibe which I loved! The drop at 0:23 seemed like it lacked creativity. Maybe its a personal preference but leaving the mix completely empty there can be counterproductive and abrupt, especially without any riser before the music cuts out. I also felt like the drop resolved the chord progressions leading up to it, but the last 10 seconds of the mix went into another chord progression which wasn't fully fledged out, leaving me feeling like the mix ended abruptly. Big fan of the overall vibe here though!

DJ 3: Great EQ skills and some subtle layering made it definitely pop out a bit more than the other mixes. I liked the inclusion of Area at the end but it seemed a bit sudden and underdeveloped perhaps almost like it was an afterthought. I did like how the vibes from YWF and Area were matched tho! The dhol sampling was also very nicely varied and kept things interesting.

Wow... I really hate to do this but Imma have to pick 3. Just know, in my heart, all 3 of you are winners haha

TegHans

BTF Mixing Mod
This is a damn hard song to mix. It's got a bunch of accidentals in its scale making it incompatible with a lot of instrumentals. YWF and Jasraj's track were close but even that went out of pitch when Lehmber's voice drops down and hits those low accidentals. Based on the overall presentations however I have to go with DJ 3 cause it highlighted the song the safest and included supporting tracks like Area which were built up into nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.