West Coast Bhangra @ Harbour City Bhangra 2017

TheBhangraHub

Here is the performance video of WCB from this years HCB edition. As the HCB committee mentioned in their other thread, if you guys can go and leave a comment under their video on youtube.. on critiquing their set and how they can improve etc. that would be awesome.

Australian bhangra scene is quite new and most teams are training without coaches so if you guys can help with your reviews/critiques that would be great and helpful for them to improve in the future.

Cheers
The Bhangra Hub

ssepithelium

Hi everyone. West Coast Bhangra Captain here.

Thank you, @TheBhangraHub for posting. :)

We are a very new team from the most isolated city in Australia. This is our second performance ever and we want to request critiques please. We really want to improve and we embrace criticism. Please help us out!

JimmyJatt463

I thought this was a pretty entertaining set overall with some very unique aspects. WCB did exceptionally well for a team so remote as well as only having competed twice.

Main issues for me were attention to detail and stamina.
Firstly, I think you guys were out of formation a bit during the performance. I can see the team wanting to form straight lines on multiple occasions but people are not perfectly behind each other. e.g. 1:48 & 2:58. This includes staying behind each other when moving in between formations. e.g. 2:33-2:36. When you are up against teams like BASS you need to be hitting each and every formation and this becomes something judges will pick you out for.
I also think synchronisation could also be improved. This combines with attention to detail. Almost everyone does the move slightly differently to the person next to them. This will be ironed out over time but it helps if you actively try and fix it. For me this was most evident in the Mirza-Sahiban part of the set. Pause the video at any given moment and have a look at where everyone's legs are as well as arms. For a second comp though, you guys did extremely well in this regard.
Lastly I think stamina is something that needs to be worked on. Dancers were getting tired and the obvious drop in energy showed. Legs got lazy and arms fell as well as some people dropping facials. Overall, legs should be higher. The benchmark is for the knee to be above the waist. The beginning of the set was good however stamina began to fade past the dhamaal segment.

I really liked the incorporation of the chimta and the dholi within the set. This doesn't happen very often and is quite refreshing to see. The chimta did really well in the jhummar portion in my opinion. I also really liked the daang double tap at 3:27. Small things like this add a lot to a set and make it memorable. This is something I will not forget.It is obvious that each and every dancer on this team enjoyed the set and enjoyed dancing. I enjoyed watching it simply because you guys were happy.

This team has improved significantly and could be a serious threat down under. I am keen to see your next performance and hopefully you guys can take out a placing, if not win.

sahrawat

This was really fun to watch, especially because it's obvious how much you're all enjoying yourselves on stage. Highlights for me were the khunde handoff, first jhummar segment (second was too fast for my taste), and when you guys picked it up at 7:20. That second wind was apparent and you guys really sold your choreo, hopefully you'll get your stamina to a point where the whole set has that kind of energy.

I agree with a lot of what was said above, particularly that hitting vertical lines is a big problem for you guys. Another thing is that everyone needs to stay on beat and not cheat their moves. For example, at 4:19, not everyone turns in to face the circle at the same time because some girls are rushing to get to the next move. You have some cool choreo but it's hard to appreciate it when it's done halfway. Same thing for a lot of your jumps (like 1:47 and 5:43). It's not good enough to just jump 4 times and be done; the goal is to do each of those jumps where everyone is timing it so they go up, get their feet all the way to their butt, and hit the ground at the same time/on beat, otherwise the effect is kinda lost. There are some girls who have good height in their legs throughout (orange and ferozi girls' energy stood out) but overall there are a lot of points when people are tired and they're just kind of swinging their legs up/side to side (like 4:25), instead of actively lifting and keeping an obtuse angle in the knees. Same thing goes for arms; try to really engage the muscles in your limbs when you're moving them, that's how to make both fast and slow moves look strong, especially when you're tired.

Congrats on this performance and how much you've all improved! It's always exciting to see a girls' team working to make an impact on the circuit.

ssepithelium

@JimmyJatt463 @sahrawat Thank you so much! Really appreciate the fact that you guys took the time to help us out in giving constructive feedback. We will make sure we address these points in our improvements. :) Love, from the WCB family