• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

What to look for while holding auditions?

NickN414

Hello, I am pretty new to this forum but I realize this is a great community of bhangra lovers.

So I joined my non-competitive bhangra team at Davidson College around 2 years ago. And I somehow am lined up to be President next semester (Fall 2020). My goal is to be a competitive team within the next two years. I've been dancing bhangra on campus but also been taking classes in Charlotte, NC. We hold auditions every semester because at least two to four members drop or graduate.

I've never really held auditions before and I don't know what to look for. Most people auditioning have no bhangra experience, so when they come to audition, that would be there first time dancing.

What do you guys look for in potential members, especially those dancing bhangra for the first time?

Thank you!

Sartaj_Singh

Dunno how you're running your tryouts/auditions, but I'm assuming you teach a simple segment and have them perform it for you later or something like that. Main things I usually look for:

1. Skill obviously, if someone is getting all the moves down and looks good dancing, then they should make the team.

2. Enthusiasm/enjoyment, if they look like they're giving it their all and are genuinely smiling while dancing, even if they aren't that good, I would take them. You can teach someone how to dance but its much harder to teach them to enjoy it, and if they are having a good time then they will be willing to get better.

3. Coordination/athleticism, if they aren't really getting the moves down but they're on count/have rhythm and can keep up with tougher moves like jumps and betke/squats, I'd take them. Staying on count is harder to teach than a set, so if they have that down the rest is easier.

Most of the time its clear who should make the team and who shouldn't, sometimes you have to look at it case by case, but taking the people you aren't super sure about as extras doesn't usually hurt. If they get better after a while, great. If not, then hopefully they had a good time.

Mans

BTF Mixing Mod
^ Sartaj has touched on a couple good points but one that I personally focus more on is number 2. You want to look for folks personalities to see if:
A) They are a good fit for the team and B) To see who will put in the extra 10% by practicing on their own and pull through for the team.

Especially as it seems you are a non competitive team that is trying to go "Pro" you are going to need to build your roster from the ground up. Some of the more established teams have the benefit of having dancers coming back the following season so they usually only have a few holes to plug where they can focus on skill.

In my opinion you can teach just about anyone how to do dance properly but what you can't teach is for someone to put in that extra 10% on their own.

NickN414

Dunno how you're running your tryouts/auditions, but I'm assuming you teach a simple segment and have them perform it for you later or something like that. Main things I usually look for:

1. Skill obviously, if someone is getting all the moves down and looks good dancing, then they should make the team.

2. Enthusiasm/enjoyment, if they look like they're giving it their all and are genuinely smiling while dancing, even if they aren't that good, I would take them. You can teach someone how to dance but its much harder to teach them to enjoy it, and if they are having a good time then they will be willing to get better.

3. Coordination/athleticism, if they aren't really getting the moves down but they're on count/have rhythm and can keep up with tougher moves like jumps and betke/squats, I'd take them. Staying on count is harder to teach than a set, so if they have that down the rest is easier.

Most of the time its clear who should make the team and who shouldn't, sometimes you have to look at it case by case, but taking the people you aren't super sure about as extras doesn't usually hurt. If they get better after a while, great. If not, then hopefully they had a good time.
Thank you so much for the insight! I really really appreciate it!

Raghavtrip

Enthusiasm/enjoyment/passion for the team is really way more important than skill/coordination when holding tryouts for a small college team looking to eventually be competitive. We were in pretty much the same boat you're in now, and spent a long time as a really small team doing an occasional gig and never getting into a competition with people dropping out every semester. Eventually, we decided to (1) value passion/interest in the team way more than skill/coordination, and (2) pretty much accept everyone if they were interested in coming to practices or had an interest in taking a leadership role (no matter how small) in the team.

In terms of valuing passion/interest, we found over time that people who joined the team with some innate skill (usually from some previous dance experience) were usually better at tryouts but there was no way to predict who would plateau, have stylistic issues that were difficult to adjust, or assume they're good enough and stop trying to improve themselves. Similarly, tons of people with zero dance experience showed up to practice more regularly, continued trying to improve themselves outside of practice, and eventually became the better dancers on the team. We thought about valuing their "ability to stay on beat and stay coordinated" during tryouts since we initially assumed that to be something you couldn't really change (i.e. if someone can't jump on beat, they probably will be extremely difficult to standardize to the rest of the beat), but this turned out to be wrong too.

The second idea was more controversial, but it's really important in building a team from the ground up. Including people who are interested in doing auxillary activities for the team (e.g. looking for gigs, getting funding, supporting team morale, whatever) definitely decreases attrition, since it makes the team more exciting to join and shows that it's actually going somewhere in the future. Building a growth mentality as a small college team is the most important thing you can do to make sure your team is sustainable after you leave. We initially had a hard time with people not doing gigs and whatnot, but as we built this part of our team up, the entire vibe on the team drastically changed--people were more excited to dance, and in turn the team became a lot more competitive. I think this strategy of pretty much accepting anyone with enthusiasm for dancing is the only way to rapidly grow a small college team into a competitive team. It's hard to figure out how passionate people will be based on first impressions at workshops/tryouts, and there's usually no true harm in accepting more people. Eventually, the people who aren't interested will just drop out themselves (instead of having you need to cut them at tryouts). Looking back now, most of the people we accepted with this strategy ended up rapidly outpacing the others and are now some of the best dancers. Even if they didn't, they were valuable contributors to the team in other ways. Eventually the team became so big we had to be more selective, and during tryouts roughly prioritized (1) passion/enthusiasm (we would ask about their interest in joining the team), (2) absolute growth from the day of the workshop to the day of the tryout [which was thought to be somewhat of an estimate of how much they were practicing], and (3) baseline skill (in that order).

Ultimately, in people without any experience at all (which is the situation for a lot of small college teams), the ability to pick up a new style of dance within 1-2 weeks of learning it (and while juggling all that orientation/college adjustment stuff) is just not predictive of how good they'll eventually be. We used to think it was a proxy for passion for the team (since in theory someone who practices a ton over two weeks will probably get visibly better), but after seeing tons of people from tryout through senior year, I can definitely say it's not the most important factor. Traditional tryouts favor people who can pick up something quickly, which isn't a good indicator of how much that person will put into the team or the general slope of that person's improvement over time. It works for independent teams when evaluating people with prior dance experience, but making a team from scratch requires more focus on their attitude to build a healthy team morale.