Where are these bhangra teams?

ICMENT

where did the teams mostly in canada go ?
Nypd (had a great run in 2012, just went ghost)
sgpd (now ngpd but never really heard of em)
pcbca
[/size]
[/size]

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Most got married so now they are considered buddeh (old farts).

All they are left doing now is budha jhummar:
! No longer available

Be on the lookout for their collab exhibition act at the next Bhangra Idols.

Jokes.

I would be curious to know too. I know a few of them got busy with respective professional careers, grad school (some went abroad), etc. Maybe they do not have anyone to unite them & lead a competitive team.. it takes a huge commitment & sacrifice, especially for a captain.

~ Basim :)

RsK

I disagree. I think the focus has changed. Instead of trying to win competition after competition, a lot of major teams are trying to expand and spread the culture by creating academies.

Howie Magz

PCBCA: I think a lot of those guys ended up dancing for Surrey India Arts Club (A live team). They are some sick dancers. They did mention in a post that they were planning to come back sometime this year, but this year is almost over

NYPD: The last competition they did was at Bhangra at the Bell 2014 where they placed Second. Apparently that was their last competition.

SGPD: They competed in 2015 at Windy City Bhangra in Chicago. They placed First at that competition.

So NYPD and SGPD didn't technically go ghost. They compete here and there it seems. Just gotta read up a bit on btf haha.

smehta313

To add to your list of Canadian teams people miss from the circuit

Shan-e-Punjab - Their BAB1 set is still legendary, don't know nor have I heard much from them since.

Panj used to be a household name too, Wish they were coming to BBC, I believe they do a decent amount on the West Coast, but would love to see them East side.

But at least NJ is still around at various levels in their academy. Whether it be Warriors, Folk Stars, Folk Lovers, Elite, etc. their unique flair to the circuit remains prevalent.

iJatt

RsK said:
I disagree. I think the focus has changed. Instead of trying to win competition after competition, a lot of major teams are trying to expand and spread the culture by creating academies.

lol that would give these teams more resources to compete...

mithu

iJatt said:
RsK said:

Not at all, it'd be the opposite. You'd be using all the resources to start up the academy.

Starting an academy isn't cheap...and takes a lot of time.

campy614

mithu said:
iJatt said:
RsK said:

Not at all, it'd be the opposite. You'd be using all the resources to start up the academy.

Starting an academy isn't cheap...and takes a lot of time.
Agreed. Also it'd still take a decent amount of time to actually develop talent. Rarely does a dancer go from nowhere to stage-ready-superstar in a year, especially at the level expected to carry a legacy that the elite teams have built.