Your very own bhangra comp

bhangrathug

If you were to hold a Competition and have your own choice to pick any team in North America who would you most likely pick

LIVE AND MODERN

Davinder Dhaliwal

Tell Em What They Wanna Hear!
LIVE - HEEREY - GABROO SHOKEEN - TEB - NACHDI JAWANI - UNITED BHANGRA

MODERN - SGPD - NSJ - NJ - LBC - EMPIRE - PUNJABI SOORMAY - SHER FOUNDATION - VCU

Don

I feel like the same questions keep coming up. you're essentially asking "what are your favorite teams or who do you think are the best teams." we've gone over this many times before. topics nowadays are getting very repetitive....

siddyp

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Jaideep said:
I feel like the same questions keep coming up. you're essentially asking "what are your favorite teams or who do you think are the best teams." we've gone over this many times before. topics nowadays are getting very repetitive....
True dat.. but its always fun to think about.

Live: HPD, Nachde Shaukeen, RDP, SIAC, PDDS

Modern: SGPD, NJ, VCU, Empire, APD

ban3rg

Jaideep said:
always happens when there's nothing else to talk about...wait til Bruin everyone will be asking "whats the best move of the best segment of the best team which performed at bruin" haha. which exact second of someone's mix is your favorite?

Gurpreet P.

Music- SGPD, VCU, NJ, Shan-e Juniors, and PANJ
Live- RPD, Nachde Shokeen, PCAC, Shan-e Seniors and any team from India :p

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Meh, a good line-up is not necessarily the line-up with the best teams, but one that has variety and flavour.

1. Sher Foundation
2. Virsa: Our Tradition
3. Apna Bhangra Crew
4. Anakh Punjab Di
5. Jawani Girls
6. National Bhangra Association
7. VCU Bhangra
8. Da Real Punjabiz
9. Bhangra Empire
10. Drexel Bhangra
11. Nachdi Jawani
12. Sonay Gabroo Punjab Da (Music)

Arjun said:
Jaideep said:
always happens when there's nothing else to talk about...wait til Bruin everyone will be asking "whats the best move of the best segment of the best team which performed at bruin" haha. which exact second of someone's mix is your favorite?
If bhangrathug doesn't beat me to it, I WILL post the "What is your favorite team that wears anything purple?" thread.

JayKay

Live:
1) Rooh Punjab Di
2) Nachde Shokeen
3) Kohinoor Folk Arts Club
4) Nachdi Jawani
5) Gabroo Shokeen
6) PPA
7) SIAC
8 ) Waris Punjab Dey
9) Heeray Punjab Dey
10) Toronto Elite
11) Gabroo Punjabiz
12) Apna Virsa Allstars

Guest Singers/Perfomance

DAV College India for guest performance. I would be scared to compete against them so lets throw them in as guest performance.

Kuldip Manak for half time and ending show. No new songs, classics only.

Dhol Foundations for the beginning and ending ceremony.

8 min sets x 12 teams = 1 hour and 36 mins.

The show shouldnt be longer than 3 and a half hours. It should be a outdoor competition, no tickets, no money to be won, and only one 1st place team.

Thats my dream competition.

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
I like the way you think JasK..........also, I never noticed there were so many live teams in NA...nice

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
JayKay said:
Live:
1) Rooh Punjab Di
2) Nachde Shokeen
3) Kohinoor Folk Arts Club
4) Nachdi Jawani
5) Gabroo Shokeen
6) PPA
7) SIAC
8 ) Waris Punjab Dey
9) Heeray Punjab Dey
10) Toronto Elite
11) Gabroo Punjabiz
12) Apna Virsa Allstars

Guest Singers/Perfomance

DAV College India for guest performance. I would be scared to compete against them so lets throw them in as guest performance.

Kuldip Manak for half time and ending show. No new songs, classics only.

Dhol Foundations for the beginning and ending ceremony.

8 min sets x 12 teams = 1 hour and 36 mins.

The show shouldnt be longer than 3 and a half hours. It should be a outdoor competition, no tickets, no money to be won, and only one 1st place team.

Thats my dream competition.
Outdoor? SICK! Would there be a rain-date though?

a5abeegirl389

Dream competition with ANY teams????

that would have to be...

Khalsa Junction
Sher Foundation
LBC
Soormay
Phulorida Bhangra (remember them? They wore purple and green?)
Toronto Elite
SGPD
DRP
Empire
Jawani
etc..
etc..
etc...

I can think of so many more, but the sucky thing about a comp is that it has a time limit. it would be cool if there was a bhangra camp that lasted a week...that would be awesome!

JayKay

Meistro said:
I like the way you think JasK..........also, I never noticed there were so many live teams in NA...nice
Dude ive been thinking of this comp for a long time...talked to a lot of organizers, but the FREE aspect of it just doesn't seem appealing to a lot of people. A lot of people don't throw bhangra comps any more for the reason of bhangra, but throw them for reasons of making money which really sucks. But id love to see a outdoor bhangra comp that's free in the summer in Surrey. I was thinking the Millennium Park where the jazzy b mela a couple years ago was held in Cloverdale wud be the perfect competition place.

I Also went to Bakersfield about 3 or 4 years back with SFU giddha team ( i played dholki for them) and they had the entire show outdoors, Sabar Koti (dunt mind my spelling) was the guest performer. One of the best competitions ive been to. The whole outdoor aspect of it worked perfectly. Also, Bhangra NAtions west held their giddha portion of their competition in the summer at a park in Vancouver at the half time of a Kabbadi Tournament. Everything was free here. This is how it should be. A MELA.

Danny

i think a cool idea would be say like Bruin for instance is on a holiday weekend, they could have a Jr comp on friday night, a mad traditional comp (like above) on saturday, and then end it off with a crazy modern comp on sunday with a crazy after party

kinda be like all star weekend

JayKay

Danny said:
i think a cool idea would be say like Bruin for instance is on a holiday weekend, they could have a Jr comp on friday night, a mad traditional comp (like above) on saturday, and then end it off with a crazy modern comp on sunday with a crazy after party

kinda be like all star weekend
That would be cool...kinda like a bhangra allstar weekend/bhangra olympics...get liek 12 or 14 teams from each category....Time limits so that the show is fast and jam packed with entertainment....and to top it all off a huge party...

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
JayKay said:
Meistro said:
Dude ive been thinking of this comp for a long time...talked to a lot of organizers, but the FREE aspect of it just doesn't seem appealing to a lot of people. A lot of people don't throw bhangra comps any more for the reason of bhangra, but throw them for reasons of making money which really sucks. But id love to see a outdoor bhangra comp that's free in the summer in Surrey. I was thinking the Millennium Park where the jazzy b mela a couple years ago was held in Cloverdale wud be the perfect competition place.

I Also went to Bakersfield about 3 or 4 years back with SFU giddha team ( i played dholki for them) and they had the entire show outdoors, Sabar Koti (dunt mind my spelling) was the guest performer. One of the best competitions ive been to. The whole outdoor aspect of it worked perfectly. Also, Bhangra NAtions west held their giddha portion of their competition in the summer at a park in Vancouver at the half time of a Kabbadi Tournament. Everything was free here. This is how it should be. A MELA.
three words: BEAR CREEK PARK..........team up with people who throw the Gadhre babeyaan da mela. They will have that program earlier in the day and you could use the same stage for the bhangra comp later.....That mela is always held in the summer in beautiful surrey weather. AHHHH MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!! that would be so sick. Bear creek park already has nice bleachers, and nice grass to sit on.

rchahal

Meistro said:
JayKay said:
Meistro said:

three words: BEAR CREEK PARK..........team up with people who throw the Gadhre babeyaan da mela. They will have that program earlier in the day and you could use the same stage for the bhangra comp later.....That mela is always held in the summer in beautiful surrey weather. AHHHH MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!! that would be so sick. Bear creek park already has nice bleachers, and nice grass to sit on.
love the idea out door competion just do it for the love of bhangra not moneyy that would be crazyy