• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

2014-2015 Bhangra season recap: Your opinions

Romy

This type of thread was done a few years ago and I thought it was interesting, so I thought we should have one for this season since the 2014/2015 Bhangra season is technically over. Let's hear your opinions on what was the best and worst of this season:

1. Which routine was your favourite?
2. Which competition were you most excited about?
3. If you could choose one team that you think did the best overall this season, which team would that be?
4. Which team were you most surprised about this season?
5. Which routine do you think was the most underrated this season?
6. What was your favourite gimmick?
7. Which team's gimmick just didn't go with the routine?
8. If you attended a competition this season, which one was your favourite and which one was your least favourite from an organizational aspect?
9. What do you think was the trend for this season?
10. What do you think will be the trend for next season?
11. Is there anything that you would have changed about this season?
12. What are you most excited about for next season?
13. Is there something you would like to be changed for next season?

Of course, if you can, explain your answers and add in other questions as well if you want. You also don't have to answer every question but it's nice to see what everyone thinks and how opinions differ. :)

I didn't add any mix questions since there's already a thread about that. Can't wait to see everyone's answers!

AmitojSThind

Bhangra Dancer // Mixer 〰 BASS Boyz 〰
Staff member
Love these types of threads, interesting to see where everyone thinks the circuit is at. Anyway here are my answers..

1. Tie between Joshiley Jawan (Elite 8 2015) and Nachdi Jawani Warriors (Big Apple '14). Both sets were absolute fire. The mixes, energetic dancers, traditional moves, along with clever variations and killer end segments just blew me away. Love it when a team can smash a 16-man set with out any gimmicks and feel traditional, yet sightly modern at the same time. Two sets, that after watching, just get you mad keen to do bhangra.

2. World's Best Bhangra Crew 2015 ;) haha. Elite 8 was right up there though, especially with the lineup of teams they had this year.

3. First Class Bhangra. They've been killing all season long and came in strong with many wins from 2013-2014. After they smashed Elite 8 despite the mix setback, placed high at WBBC and won Bruin '15. They were hands down the most consistent and best this season. (Was an honour to compete against and chill with these guys at WBBC)

4. Imperial College London @ TBS 2015. Excellent mix and 16-person co-ed set. Have seen these guys in several videos before, but they really stepped it up with this one. Great to see that. Would also like to specially mention Nachda Sansaar and Vasda Punjab's Jhoomer Exhibition. I was really surprised by the 20minute routine and how entertaining it was despite the length. Great example of what our original Punjabi lokh nach is, major props to them (would love to see more of this).

5. Ankhile @ TBC (The Bhangra Competition) 2014. This routine for me raised the bar for Co-ed performances. Honestly the U.K. scene has been killing it lately, particularly JVD and Ankhile for Co-ed. The girl dancers are just as good, if not better than the guys which is awesome to see.

6. Fauj's end-segment fire click gimmick @ Boston Bhangra 2014. Simple, effective, out of no-where and impactful. Gimmick only enhanced the routine and complimented the set+mix well.

7. Wheel of fortune/game show Gimmick by DC Metro Punjabi Arts Academy @ elite 8. The gimmick was a very stop start gimmick and didn't feel impactful. Didn't really compliment their routine well either, felt like they were taking a break. Just felt out of place tbh.

8. Fav was WBBC, competition was really well organised, professional and everyone took care of us Aussies and made us feel welcome. Favourite part, food whenever we needed it haha. Organisers really delivered. Also just getting to know the overseas team was a great experience in itself. Least favourite if I had to nitpick would be the After-party being a bust, but the afters at the hotel lobby wasn't too bad as an alternative lolz

9. This season felt like a shift away from gimmicky sets. Gimmicks became more integrated in sets, if there were any at all. Many routines also had a folk segment or two to them, more teams jumping on the folk bandwagon, which is great to see.

10. Traditional/folk segments and crazy variations of tradz moves. Can also see more teams continuing following the influence of Toronto teams such as NJW, those types of sets. Many breakout and winning teams are tending to move away from modern and gimmicky sets, towards more traditional move styles and folk segments. This upcoming season seems like it might be a more of throwback. More folk-geets, 90s hits, evergreen songs and boliyan to go with more folk sets. Which I'm all for.

11. Perhaps more Canadian teams at US comps, especially at WBBC. Really love seeing the Canadians going up against the US teams.

12. The circuit becoming more international. More UK, Canadian and Aussie teams going up against the US and each other. Also really excited to see more traditional, fast-pace and energetic routines. Hopefully get a US/Candian/UK team or two down-under next season, liven up and increase the competition in Australia.

[SIZE=small]13. Competitions having more categories, to cater for folk and live-teams. Sad to see when big folk teams go to primarily modern competitions and not getting rewarded for a killer set. More categories in the big competitions, or better yet, a new big folk-focused [/SIZE]comp up to standard of Elite 8/Bruin/WBBC.

Romy

AmitojSThind said:
Love these types of threads, interesting to see where everyone thinks the circuit is at. Anyway are my answers..

1. Tie between Joshiley Jawan (Elite 8 2015) and Nachdi Jawani Warriors (Big Apple '14). Both sets were absolute fire. The mixes, energetic dancers, traditional moves, along with clever variations and killer end segments just blew me away. Love it when a team can smash a 16-man set with out any gimmicks and feel traditional, yet sightly modern at the same time. Two sets, that after watching, just get you mad keen to do bhangra.

2. World's Best Bhangra Crew 2015 ;) haha. Elite 8 was right up there though, especially with the lineup of teams they had this year.

3. First Class Bhangra. They've been killing all season long and came in strong with many wins from 2013-2014. After they smashed Elite 8 despite the mix setback, placed high at WBBC and won Bruin '15. They were hands down the most consistent and best this season. (Was an honour to compete against and chill with these guys at WBBC)

4. Imperial College London @ TBS 2015. Excellent mix and 16-person co-ed set. Have seen these guys in several videos before, but they really stepped it up with this one. Great to see that. Would also like to specially mention Nachda Sansaar and Vasda Punjab's Jhoomer Exhibition. I was really surprised by the 20minute routine and how entertaining it was despite the length. Great example of what our original Punjabi lokh nach is, major props to them (would love to see more of this).

5. Ankhile @ TBC (The Bhangra Competition) 2014. This routine for me raised the bar for Co-ed performances. Honestly the U.K. scene has been killing it lately, particularly JVD and Ankhile for Co-ed. The girl dancers are just as good, if not better than the guys which is awesome to see.

6. Fauj's end-segment fire click gimmick @ Boston Bhangra 2014. Simple, effective, out of no-where and impactful. Gimmick only enhanced the routine and complimented the set+mix well.

7. Wheel of fortune/game show Gimmick by DC Metro Punjabi Arts Academy @ elite 8. The gimmick was a very stop start gimmick and didn't feel impactful. Didn't really compliment their routine well either, felt like they were taking a break. Just felt out of place tbh.

8. Fav was WBBC, competition was really well organised, professional and everyone took care of us Aussies and made us feel welcome. Favourite part, food whenever we needed it haha. Organisers really delivered. Also just getting to know the overseas team was a great experience in itself. Least favourite if I had to nitpick would be the After-party being a bust, but the afters at the hotel lobby wasn't too bad as an alternative lolz

9. This season felt like a shift away from gimmicky sets. Gimmicks became more integrated in sets, if there were any at all. Many routines also had a folk segment or two to them, more teams jumping on the folk bandwagon, which is great to see.

10. Traditionally/folk segments and crazy variations of tradz moves. Can also see more teams continuing following the influence of Toronto teams such as NJW, those types of sets. Many breakout and winning teams are tending to move away from modern and gimmicky sets, towards more traditional move styles and folk segments. This upcoming season seems like it might be a more of throwback. More folk-geets, 90s hits, evergreen songs and boliyan to go with more folk sets. Which I'm all for.

11. Perhaps more Canadian teams at US comps, especially at WBBC. Really love seeing the Canadians going up against the US teams.

12. The circuit becoming more international. More UK, Canadian and Aussie teams going up against the US and each other. Also really excited to see more traditional, fast-pace and energetic routines. Hopefully get a US/Candian/UK team or two down-under next season, liven up and increase the competition in Australia.

[SIZE=small]13. Competitions having more categories, to cater for folk and live-teams. Sad to see when big folk teams go to primarily modern competitions and not getting rewarded for a killer set. More categories in the big competitions, or better yet, a new big folk-focused [/SIZE]comp up to standard of Elite 8/Bruin/WBBC.
Thanks for answering the questions! One trend I noticed this season is that a lot of mixes had a great selection of somewhat old-school songs (songs from the late 90's and early 00's) and I agree with you that next season, there will be a lot more of this. I guess it might be due to the lack of quality bhangra songs these days but hey, I'm not complaining!

Prabhjot

1. Which routine was your favourite? GCC at TBC 2014.
4. Which team were you most surprised about this season? The evolution of FS's style
5. Which routine do you think was the most underrated this season? SMD Elite 15
9. What do you think was the trend for this season? Being "folk" musically.
11. Is there anything that you would have changed about this season? Better fundamentals and more thoughtout/original routines.
13. Is there something you would like to be changed for next season? Not copying team XYZ finishers or move sets for a particular segment type.

siddyp

Tough times never last, but tough people do.

Furteelay Shokeen @ WBBC

I was excited for every competition. I got the privilege to dance on some amazing stages against amazing teams.

3. If you could choose one team that you think did the best overall this season, which team would that be?

SMD. Burgh, Fever, Elite, Srujan, those girls went ham.

MOB. Came out with a killer routine at Burgh. I knew they were due, but wasn't ready for what they displayed.

DCBC BAB

VanCity ending with the platforms

RU cutting their music at Srujan. It just happened and the music came back. It could have been integrated into the routine much better.

8. If you attended a competition this season, which one was your favourite and which one was your least favourite from an organizational aspect?

Every comp I went to was absolutely amazing. Every comp was extremely organized and well executed.

I think there was a slight trend towards teams taking more risk with routines. (RU and UNC going 16, JJ's winning e8 set, CMU using wifi LED lights, Cornell's blowout set, Van City/DRP at Bruin, and I could go on) The whole circuit isn't as risky as I'd like it to be, but it's trending there imo.

I really hope that it's more risk. And I hope it get's rewarded.

The size of WBBC stage.

Seeing bhangra continue to evolve and get better.

Teams taking more risk, and getting more into extra production value to wow audiences even more. I really don't think teams aren't "folk" and we won't see teams become less folk. But adding in more production value to wow audiences and make them come back for more. Let's keep filling seats by blowing audiences and each other away with not only how we dance, but how we entertain.

But I also want it to be rewarded. Let's encourage judges to reward the teams that really go for it and still achieve a high level of execution. Not saying to allow teams to go for it, nothing actually hits, and they place/win because of risk. But reward teams for going for it and still being amazing.

Also, I'd like to encourage all competitions to become more transparent with judging and release all scores. Something that still, in my opinion, too few comps do.

DamanSingh

1.) University of Birmingham @ The Bhangra Showdown 2015

2.) Bhangra Fever, Pao Bhangra, World's Best Bhangra Crew - the three comps that will be marked on my calender ever year.

3.) Shaan Mutiyaaran Di

4.) Joshiley Jawan, Furteelay Shokeen

5.) Nachda Sansaar Bhangra Club @ The Bhangra Competition 2014

6.) I'm not sure what my favorite gimmick is, but I liked the airplane katos used by FCB (will comment more on them in a review)

8.) There is always room for improvement. Check out my spectator review of Elite 8 and WBBC.

9.) Kinda disagree with Amitoj - I don't really notice any such trend away from gimmicky sets. I'd say there were just as many as last year, if not more. I too was surprised by JJ's winning set - wasn't expecting so many changes from Bell 2013 and Elite 8 2012. Comparing SMD's Elite 8 2012 to their Elite 8 2015 set also makes me realize how much some teams have changed in just a few years. Cornell @ Blowout was another set that I really enjoyed and was a little surprised by.

Certainly agree with Sid about teams taking more risks. Glad that RU and UNC went 16 at Srujan, though I wish the stage was a little bigger. Same goes for WBBC - I would love to see those UK teams bring a 16-man set.

10.)

would love to see a US or Canadian team make the trip abroad. I bet the cost of flying out is probably the most discouraging factor.

I certainly think we'll see more UK teams flying across the pond to compete.

Also, I hope to see some growth in the number of quality competitions and the revival or introduction of some comps on the West Coast. And maybe a live comp.

A few random thoughts and observations:

• The UK scene is developing very quickly.
  • First Class Bhangra @ Elite 8 - glad I got to witness one of the most memorable performances in bhangra history
  • DCBC @ Elite 8 - best mix of the season
  • Favorite segments: JVD's graceful jhoomer segment at WBBC, Joshiley Jawan's opening mela and shikke segment
  • Audience Dance off @ Elite 8. Those little DCMPAA kids brought that song to life
  • Jay Sean @ WBBC was pretty cool. I'm not the biggest fan of him, but I still thought it was huge for him to make an appearance at a bhangra comp.
  • best intro boli singer: Ikam from FCB
  • Collegiate teams that I'm looking forward to most: UVa Di Shaan, Cornell Bhangra
  • Independent team that I'm looking forward to most: Ministry of Bhangra (MOB)
  • Dholi of the year/Elite 8 mvp: Ram V
  • Excited to see DAV College Jalandhar at BATF this summer
  • Best of luck to the organizers of Declaration of Bhangra (Philadelphia), Legacy of Bhangra (Cali), and other new comps.

kman58

1. JVD or GCC, UK brought it this year like no other.
2. Always excited about any competition I attend or participate in, but definitely Elite 8 being a part of it. Great experience and there were some great memories from that weekend.
3. SMD had a pretty successful season, brought some hard hitting sets to many competitions and revolutionizing all-girls Bhangra since day 1.
4. VanCity for sure. They've brought good sets in the past, but I personally didn't expect the execution, cleanliness, and creativity they brought to Bruin this year. I personally felt it was their victory, but it was certainly close between them and FCB.
5. Nachda Sansaar at TBS, on a different day with some different weather or anything it could've definitely placed over GCC and we'd all be talking about a different team. Fantastic set.
6. Thought FCB's airplane katos were kind of cool, new take on katos that hasn't been done before!
7. DCMPAA's Elite 8 gimmick. Just did not hit very well, nor did it go with the routine at all. A gimmick, if used, should enhance the performance and complement it, not distract or take away from it, and certainly not seem like an obvious break from the routine.
8. NKD has to be one of the best, most organized competitions out there. There's a lot of very good and very organized competitions but I can personally attest to NKD's growth over the past few years to be able to cater to it's teams extremely well.
9. Going 16man! Lots of teams, even collegiate teams, brought 16 person sets, and I hope it continues! The sets look so much more complex formations-wise and fill out the stage very well.
Another trend for this past season was to use either Pinda Wale Jatt or Jatti in your mix, or both! (I blame UK :p )
10. Hopefully after all the critique from this past season, less focus on creating sets to a rubric and a bigger focus on just entertainment and portrayal of Bhangra in a unique, creative, positive way.
11. Agreeing with some of the people above, a few more Canada/UK teams at comps here, and vice versa. But the financial part of the battle is extremely understandable.
12. Honestly, the UK and Australia sets, as well as the increased interest in Live sets. NA seems to be getting stale, so I personally think UK and Australia deserve way more attention. Moreover, if the Live scene here can really get going that'll be something else!
13. Better usage of that DBI roll and the "Ah! Ah!" effect underneath it, or complete elimination entirely. Seems like every mix these past 2 years has had that concept in their mixes (definitely did this myself as well, not even denying it). While it is a convenient and easy transition between segments and songs, it seems like a security measure, if while making a mix someone says "screw it, can't think of a transition, I'll throw in the roll and the Ah! Ah! underneath and call it a day". Kind of kills creativity and leaves mixes sounding the same (again, I partially blame UK :p , no disrespect to any of the UK DJs you guys made some ridiculously hot mixes this past year that I jam to all the time).

rbansal4494

1. JVD @ WBBC
2. Elite 8 - making a comeback after being gone for 3 years
3. SMD - they killed it all season
4. Northwestern - 1st place performances at ADZ and Boiler and a strong performance at Blowout
5. FAUJ @ TDot - thought they did the best job of incorporating the circus theme without taking too much away from the dancing/set
6. DRP smoke shooting dhol @ Bruin was pretty cool
7. Game show theme from DCMPAA @ Elite 8
8. Buckeye Mela/Srujan - amazing hospitality the entire weekend from committee and liaisons, super fun mixer with the fusion teams, and a killer after party! I'd definitely recommend teams applying to this competition
9. Plastic saaps - went from just a couple to a lot of teams both independent and collegiate using and making them
10. Shift towards more integrated gimmicks in sets (definitely already started but i think more teams will start to think of ways of doing something cool without taking away/stop dancing)
11. Having a team hotel for Elite 8 - we ended up booking with CMU and SMD which was mad fun but would have been nice for all the teams to be in one central place
12. New gimmicks - just when you think you've seen it all, some team comes up with something new that blows everyone away
13. More feedback on the circuit - you used to be able to find comp reviews from people in the audience at shows and dancers themselves of other teams, might be something to start bringing back to create more discussion on BTF

Great thread Romy!!

DamanSingh said:
  • best intro boli singer: Ikam from FCB
+1

Romy

Thanks everyone for the posts so far! Once we get a few more, I will start looking at all the answers, compile the data and see if there are any trends. Will edit my original post with the findings and continue to add to the original post if we get more posts.

mithu

Mixes dropped in diversity and quality. Nearly all of them sound the same compared to 2-4 years ago. Its all about "hype" (aka trap, bass, hats, snares, etc etc). If you compare mixes back when APD, BMW, and AEG (when Karan made the mixes), FCB (pre-Fever 4) and CMU (pre-BatB 2014) to current mixes, there is a huge drop in diversity and quality. Everything just sounds the same. Its all about "hype". Its always the same effects, same sound, same mastering, etc.

ramv88

www.dholiram.com
Great season. I only went to a few competitions (Elite/Richmond mela/Blowout) and they all were amazing.

Few shout outs
1. SMD- Why was I not able to see u guys live. I like how you raised the bar for any all girls teams when it comes to cleanliness, energy, grace, etc. Great job Reeda & co!

2. MOB- you guys have come a long way since Fever 4 when I first met you guys and saw y'all live.

3. CMU/UVA/Cornell- Establishing quality/entertainment value for a circuit where north american co-ed teams for the most part have yet to develop that wow factor. CMU---I am not surprised (strong dancing group). UVA- I thought u guys didn't have anything left in the tank but I was quite impressed with your Mela/Blowout performances. Cornell-- Overall I'm not a big fan of the style however I am a fan of the entertainment value that u guys bring to the circuit as well as the hard work that your team (from diverse dance backgrounds) puts in. Big bounce from WBBC to ending the year out with a bang with a 1st place at blowout.

Mixes I think were good----Independent teams were obviously better since they have more experience plus when I see them dancing they look like they are having fun. That stage presence is amazing! Most Co-ed teams imo just needs to develop that. I look for not just the song choices but its those background beats that fits with the main song which gets me goin!
Top ones---I loved JJ's (elite), DCBC (elite), CMU (burgh), Furteelay's (bruin), FCB's (bruin), Ankhile (wbbc).

Great job Elite 8 for the sell out show---that noise was the craziest that I can remember to date
WBBC- Australia and England repping?----next up---team from India??

I would like to see more teams especially co-ed teams take (as siddy p had pointed out) more risks.

Trend for next year--more teams using rumaals and teams mixing vardi colors like what JJ did.

What I want to see next year---Can there be more live routines and MELAS. I was at one this past April and it was fun to watch. not to mention that food is AWESOME. Channa Bhatura and lassis were amazing to have while watching a bhangra performance---best feeling.

Improvement----
Sound system---those sound guys needs to be more accountable. Definitely an easy fix but hopefully this issue should be put on every competition's top priority list.

Great year. Can't wait to see how the next one unfolds.

- Dholi Ram

gdholi7

10. What do you think will be the trend for next season? LIVE

13. Is there something you would like to be changed for next season? MORE LIVE BHANGRA

nmistry2

1. JJ @ elite, FCB @ elite (this was amazing) and JVD @ WBBC (its hard to pick between them)

2. I was most excited for burgh, just being able to dance on that stage was an amazing feeling

3. FCB had an amazing season, and kept on raising the bar

4. Northwestern, after last year they made a lot of improvements

5. DCBC @ BAB

6. FCB's plane katos, they were very unique

7. DCMPAA wheel of fortune

8. Although it is not a competition but Cornell's Pao was organized flawlessly, from the mixer, to practice, to tech, to production, everything was smooth. I have never been so relaxed before (i know there is no added stress of competing, but other competition should take some tips and tricks from Cornell). I personally did not enjoy the organization of Boiler, no one knew what was happening, it seemed like the president micro managed everything, locations were not very good, and nothing ran on time (for my team driving 11 hours and then being first in line up, when thing did not run on schedule, we really got stressed and annoyed).

9. Rumaals, more dynamic sets, stronger ending segments

10. More prop integration, more risks

11. The dates of competitions, so many fell on the same day that it was hard to apply. Also having comps in early February is a struggle, push it back to the end of february.

12. The future of coed/collegic bhangra, there was not a huge standout this year and a lot of new teams got their name out there (Buckeye, NC State, Alamo City competed more). Hopefully the collegic teams get more competitive

13. Elite 8 had an awesome judging system, it seemed really fair and effective. Every competition should make their own rendition of this, don't make it the same because that will result in a loss of competition diversity, but normalizing scores is a great idea

ampal

1. Which routine was your favorite?
-JVD(wbbc), Ankhile(wbbc), Furteelay (TDOT), TAG (mcb)
- MCB 2015 - shoutout to Gary
- SMD and FCB
- Ankhile, MOB, UVA Di Shaan, NSG
- Furteelay @ TDOT, Punjabi Folk Academy (Idols)
- FCB(bruin), Xtreme's light up vardiyan at Tdot
- DCMPAA
- Least favorite: Bhangra Fever
- Favorite: MCB
- dressing up props, plain Jane routines
- Folk Teams, seeing more live teams/comps. Underrated teams doing well.
- comps being more transparent with the teams, see all comps provide judges meetings before and after.

Saab

Today is a gift
1. GCC at TBC was amazing
2. Elite 8 - great to perform at a competition with that much history and pageantry
3. Ankhile. Generated so much hype with their TBC performance, and didn't let anyone down at WBBC.
4. JJ. Coming out of a hiatus and making those style tweaks made for a much more memorable performance at Elite. Thought they surprised a lot of people with that set.
5. Ankhi Jawan at TBC. Khunde segment was next level.
6. FAUJ's fire gimmick at boston. Thought out of all iterations of the gimmick this hit the hardest one.
7. No idea. Honestly can't remember too many gimmicks or well thought-out ideas to highlight one.
8. Favorite: Srujan, hand's down paid the best attention to team's. For all the great comp's this season, they knew how to take care of teams.
9. Globalization of bhangra and the parity between teams across borders. A lot of the "fire" of this season for the first time was generated outside of North America
10. Larger team sizes with less gimmicky routines. Unfortunately also fewer competitions.
11. More transparency with competitions, especially the judging. How does the judging rubric comport with what you want to see from teams, etc.
12. The influence of UK/Australia teams vs US teams. It will be interesting to see how non-NA teams will handle the spotlight now that they are viewed as peers/betters etc. Will they live up to extremely high expectations? Will US teams adjust, and what will be an adjustment?
13. Competitions hosted by more State Schools in the US, especially ones with lots of funding. Probably easiest way to get competitions back at a stable level and not have so many drop off.

HansSingh

1. Which routine was your favourite? Virsa at Sunset, more folk and less gimmicky. All the dancers executed strong and jhoomer was fire
2. Which competition were you most excited about? Bruin Bhangra
3. If you could choose one team that you think did the best overall this season, which team would that be? First Class Bhangra
4. Which team were you most surprised about this season? Virsa
5. Which routine do you think was the most underrated this season? PFA - Punjabi Folk Academy at idols 2014
6. What was your favourite gimmick? Vancity with the ending tower gimmick, it was unexpected and audience went crazy
7. Which team's gimmick just didn't go with the routine? Nishani's Has Ke gimmick at WBBC
9. What do you think was the trend for this season? Small choreo gimmicks that are executed properly and don't lose the momentum of the set, for example BASS's khunde gimmick

Howie Magz

1. Which routine was your favourite? (JJ @ Elite 8)
2. Which competition were you most excited about? (WBBC ;) )
3. If you could choose one team that you think did the best overall this season, which team would that be? (FCB, SMD, or NSG)
4. Which team were you most surprised about this season? (SMD)
5. Which routine do you think was the most underrated this season? (Nachde Sansaar at TBC 2014)
8. If you attended a competition this season, which one was your favourite and which one was your least favourite from an organizational aspect? (WBBC this year. Seeing the comp from a dancer's perspective made you really appreciate how well its run.)
9. What do you think was the trend for this season? (Everyone becoming more folk and just clean overall)
10. What do you think will be the trend for next season? (Everyone going 16 on stage)
11. Is there anything that you would have changed about this season? (Having old comps like Bell, Warrior, DDA, Bulldog, and just a stronger Cali presence in comps)
12. What are you most excited about for next season? (Seeing what team will come up )
13. Is there something you would like to be changed for next season? (For everyone to become more innovative and entertaining in their routines. I feel like I cant make it past certain teams sets. )

Hoya Singh

1. Fav routine - GCC @ TBC & Ankhile at TBC/WBBC
2. Comp - Elite 8 - going to watch Elite my freshman year of college in 2011 got me into the circuit so performing here in front of a sold out crowd was a crazy experience
3. Overall team - FCB/SMD/NSG - FCB & SMD had basically the same set the whole spring, but obviously still killed it. Was also really impressed with NSG's sets and how they changed up them more or less every time they competed
4. Surprise team - UVA - A lot of their top dancers graduated but they still had the best set at blowout imo
5. Underrated - NSG @ Bruin and UVA @ Blowout
6. Best gimmick - BASS khunda gimmick @ WBBC
9. More bhangra/less gimmicks, faster sets, rummals
10. More teams establishing themselves with their own styles. A lot of the comps felt like they had the same lineup
12. Seeing more teams go 16

Armaan Kapoor

nmistry2 said:

8. Although it is not a competition but Cornell's Pao was organized flawlessly, from the mixer, to practice, to tech, to production, everything was smooth. I have never been so relaxed before (i know there is no added stress of competing, but other competition should take some tips and tricks from Cornell). I personally did not enjoy the organization of Boiler, no one knew what was happening, it seemed like the president micro managed everything, locations were not very good, and nothing ran on time (for my team driving 11 hours and then being first in line up, when thing did not run on schedule, we really got stressed and annoyed).

Would be glad to give any pointers to any competition organizers :)

FCB at Elite 8 - nothing will ever capture what those guys did after the music cutout. The whole crowd was on its feel applauding for a good 60 seconds. (Also an unreal performance)

WBBC, always a great competition with stacked teams

Guys: FCB (Pretty sure that they came in 2nd in every performance they competed in besides winning Bruin)
Girls: SMD (saw this coming from Warrior 2014, sick performance)
Collegiate: CMU - After Cornell of course ;)
4. Which team were you most surprised about this season? Northwestern jesus christ. For those of you who haven't watched, see their Blowout 2014 performance compared to their Blowout 2015 performance. Unreal the amount of progress this team has made. Mad props, guys. Really enjoyed watching you guys live at Blowout.

Furteelay Shokeen at Boston Bhangra. Clean, folk, entertaining, amazing dancing. Should've won first imo.

Furteelay at Boston with the money - just came out of no where and so well integrated with the song. Fauj with the fire at Boston was also really cool. Must've watched it 100 times to figure out how they did it (still haven't figured it out lol)

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nishani riding the bull at WBBC - a little awkward...[/font]

Best: From a strictly organizational viewpoint, for teams, Blowout 2015. I think a lot due to our liaisons, but very very well done, and I was pleasantly surprised. I don't think I've ever been so taken care of, honestly. From start to finish, the best organized of the year hands down.
Worst: Didn't really go to a bad one this year. Would really like to see the WBBC afterparty better organized though and getting teams in the door first.

Much better dancing at the expense of boring formations. Want to challenge teams to incorporate both.

Continued focus on improving dancers.

Organizers - when you make decisions/ are planning, think about what you'd want as a dancer. A constructive criticism I gave Elite and Blowout was that they can't budget one bottle of water per person on the night of the competition. When I heard this, I had my liaison go and buy water from the convenience store next door. Think about how much you need to hydrate before and after dancing. The cheapest water is like $5/30 pack. You can afford it.

Definitely want to see teams that are not just dancing well, but are entertaining. Sets this year had better dancing, but were overall less entertaining this year imo.

Become more entertaining and get the crowd excited!