• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

2015-2016 Bhangra Season Recap: Your Opinions Wanted!

Romy

Hi everyone! Last year I created a thread where I asked a few questions about that past season and what you were looking forward to for the next season. It got great responses and I thought we should have a similar thread for this past season! Everyone has different opinions and it'll be nice to see what everyone thinks the highlights and lowlights were for the 2015-2016 season and what everyone is most looking forward to.

Last year's thread: http://bhangrateamsforum.com/discuss/main-bhangra-discussion/2014-2015-bhangra-season-recap-your-opinions/

Questions:

1. Which routine was your favourite?

2. Which competition were you most excited about?

3. If you could choose one team that you think did the best overall this season, which team would that be?

4. Which team were you most surprised about?

5. Which routine do you think was the most underrated this season?

6. What was your favourite gimmick?

7. Which team's gimmick just didn't go with their routine?

8. If you attended a competition this season, which one was your favourite and which one was your least favourite from an organizational aspect?

9. Which team's mix did you like the most?

10. What do you think was the trend this season?

11. What do you think will be the trend for next season?

12. Is there anything that you would have liked changed this season?

13. What are you most excited about for next season?

14. Is there something you would like to be changed for next season?

Of course, if you can, explain your answers and add in any other comments you may have as well! You also don't have to answer every question. Let's hear your thoughts! :)

rbansal4494

Great thread Romy!

1. SPD at Motor City, don't think i've ever seen a better bhangra routine in person
2. Clutch City Bhangra, there was a lot of hype around it and it looked like a lot of fun from the snaps all weekend
3. CMU Bhangra (2nd Srujan, 1st NDC, 1st Nashville, 1st Blowout)
4. GMU at Blowout
5. Cal at Bruin
6. DRP at CSUN - first time they used the ribbons, watching that on the live stream was awesome/Royal Bhangra Girls at Bruin - Manpreet ::)
8. Favorite comp - Srujan
9. BASS at BDU 2015
10. Bollywood segment/song
13. Meeting newer teams and newer comps starting up/older comps coming back

Howie Magz

-I would have to say BASS at Bruin 2016. That was a fire set and it was well executed and very clean. Well done boys.

2. Which competition were you most excited about?'

-Bhangra Blowout. The lineup was stacked this year and the crowd was insane. That crowd rivaled WBBC. Also a very well run and smooth comp. Awesome weekend

3. If you could choose one team that you think did the best overall this season, which team would that be?

-Definitely CMU this season. #foreverlosetocmu

-DRP. They brought it all season and to win Bruin against the most stacked lineup I have seen in a while.

-NSG at MCB 2016. That was a dope routine and loved watching it live.

-DRP at Boston and Bruin with the smoke rings from the dhols

-I can't think of one

8. If you attended a competition this season, which one was your favorite and which one was your least favorite from an organizational aspect?

-Bhangra Blowout was my favorite this year and my least favorite would have to be MCB.

-BASS Bruin 2016 mix

-Everyone attempting to go 16 man at one point or another. I called this last year.

-A lot more gimmicks in people's routines. Calling it now.

12. Is there anything that you would have liked that was changed this season?

-Fire was brought back in the circuit ;)

-See which sleeper teams come and place at a couple of comps. Also to compete at some new competitions

-Stop making boring sets......

smehta313

1. Which routine was your favorite?
NSG 2016 in person – only b/c Arun & Gursimran ripped it.

Bruin. Stacked lineup, sadly couldn’t watch much.

FCB – to go live like they did in the middle of the season and still place everywhere else was great to see.

KPGD BBC 2015 & Rochester TOI 2016

OSU at every competition they went to, those homies never got any love

6. What was your favorite gimmick?
Low Key, the Gujju in me loved seeing MBT's Raas Jhoomer combo even though I would be opposed to it at any other competition.

I feel like most gimmicks go well, at least from what I saw this season, it's the execution and energy which disappointed teams.

8. If you attended a competition this season, which one was your favorite and which one was your least favorite from an organizational aspect?
All comps kept me feed right before/during the mixer & for lunch the day of the comp so that’s big for me and that criteria was hit on all fronts so we good.

FS Bruin 2016 (somewhat of a self-pump despite competing against them)

No one mixes like Gsimz

Rumaals have somewhat erupted since JJ won Elite 8 2015

Crazy Phumaniya variations
That or Team collaborations.

Bhangra in the 6ix. Bhangra seasons without Toronto based comps just aren't the same

No elite and no wbbc this past year makes it seem as if the circuit was missing that glorifying comp. Hopefully something is brought back or something new emerges to fix that void.
would like to see stronger collegiate teams throughout the east coast as well

sdadoo15

Staff member
Definitely my favorite thread every year, thank you for starting this again Romy!

Questions:

Live: SPD Motor City. No explanation necessary.
Music: NJ Burgh 2015. The set was on par with some of the best sets of the year, but the execution of this routine was easily the best of the year for me and the reason this performance was my favorite.

Burgh. The lineup this year was stacked from top to bottom, and it was really anyone's game prior to the show. A lot of collegiate teams brought a lot of good sets to this comp.

CMU. Too much love for you guys and what you accomplished all year. S/O to Tejas and Ankur for creating a set that could, and did, hit hard wherever you guys went.

GMU at Blowout, this performance came out of nowhere and was an amazing display of raw bhangra. Excited to see what you guys accomplish in the future!

Cal at Bruin

DRP khunde throw over the banner at Bruin. All the gimmicks from this set hit really hard, and I loved how the majority of them went smoothly with the dancing.

8. If you attended a competition this season, which one was your favourite and which one was your least favourite from an organizational aspect?

Don't have a least favorite, but Bruin was probably my favorite. Always an awesome experience

BASS Bruin 2016. Mix complemented the set so well.
KPGD Boston 2015.

Bollywood

I think (I hope) that the collegiate "circuit" will make a big impact next season. A lot of teams have made a lot of positive strides from 2014-15 to 2015-16 imo

Personally not a fan of Bollywood

sahab

CMU Blowout- They danced with heart.

Clutch City. First year comp that from what I heard was run very well. Rare these days.

CMU

OSU. they got good

idk

MBT Donald Trump. A personal bias, but still frick donald trump

MBT Donald trump.

Least favorite was MCB or Tashan. Most favorite Nashville/buckeye/Blowout

FCB bruin or NJ warriors burgh or Bass bruin or CMU blowout. Cant decide because they were each unique.

GET AS MANY PEOPLE ON STAGE AS POSSIBLE

Making complicated formations and GETTING AS MANY PEOPLE ON STAGE AS POSSIBLE.

more comps.

more comps.

more SPD and BASS please

nikhil95

1.Best routine?
CMU @ Blowout, they had an incredible performance with grace, energy, and some amazing creativity

2. What comp were you most excited for?
Bruin! With a stacked line up and some teams we hadn't seen in a while, the competition looked hype

CMU, so many placings and each one well deserved

Buckeye! Those guys totally killed it this year, and really stepped it up. Starting off strong with Burgh they made improvements throughout the year and ended with plenty improvements by the time Blowout rolled around.

Bruin Bhangra @ Blowout, this set was insane and I would've liked to see it place although there were plenty of teams that had incredible performances at Blowout

FCB @ Burgh 9

Like everybody has said so far, 16 people sets have become quite popular

Probably more people on sets and more gimmicks

This is mainly directed towards competition boards, try and make unique line ups, its more fun watching teams go at it when they haven't already competed against each other 4 times in the past two or three months.

All these new competitions and returning competitions!

Bring back WBBC and Elite 8! I really hope we get to see some more UK dancers in the U.S. for one big competition. Ankhile, JVD, it would be pretty cool if we could snag a collegiate from the UK (although unlikely). Also seeing some more Toronto faces would be awesome

Kaashmoney

SPD - Motor City

Bruin

CMU

GMU

Bruin at Blowout

Jagga Jatt - BASS

Most Fav - Srujan

BASS BDU or BASS Bruin

nish41293

1. Which routine was your favorite? DRP @ Bruin. Have watched it like 97 times

2. Which comp were you most excited for? Blowout

3. If you could choose one team that you think did the best overall this season, which team would that be? CMU

4. Which team were you most surprised about? Definitely did not expect GMU to place at Blowout (but don't necessarily think they deserved to place)

5. Which routine do you think was the most underrated this season? Got a few: Cal (CSUN), Alamo City (MCB), and Bruin (Blowout)

6. What was your favourite gimmick? DRP khunde throw over banner

7. Which team's gimmick just didn't go with their routine? Empire - hula hoop girl

9. Which team's mix did you like the most? FCB @ Bruin

10. What do you think was the trend this season? Bollywood songs

11. What do you think will be the trend for next season? more 16-ppl sets

12. Is there anything that you would have liked changed this season? Bhangra Empire should not have placed at Bruin. SDFKNGDVDFVNASDF

13. What are you most excited about for next season? More sick routines! A lot of teams seem to be on an upward trend

14. Is there something you would like to be changed for next season? less Bollywood songs!

Bajwa99

"Too Many Rookies Not Enough Gabroos"
[SIZE=small]1. Which routine was your favorite? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]SPD Live @ Motor City[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]2. Which comp were you most excited for? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Bruin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]3. If you could choose one team that you think did the best overall this season, which team would that be?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]CMU[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]4. Which team were you most surprised about? [/SIZE]

GMU @ Blowout bringing it back to basics! Loved the set! s/o to my boy Harry Jaggi!
[SIZE=small]
[/SIZE]

Buckeye over the course of the year and GMU @ Blowout
[SIZE=small]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]BASS Jagga Jatt[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]9. Which team's mix did you like the most?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]SDK @ Clutch City, BASS @ Bruin, NJW @ Burgh[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]10. What do you think was the trend this season? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]USE NINJA BOLIYAN IN EVERY SET & Bollywood[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]11. What do you think will be the trend for next season?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Hoping teams bring back that old mindset of trying new things and taking risks![/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]12. Is there anything that you would have liked changed this season? [/SIZE]

Teams taking more risks.
[SIZE=small]
13. What are you most excited about for next season? [/SIZE]

Rookie Mixers bringing out the fire!

[SIZE=small]14. Is there something you would like to be changed for next season?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Hotter jugni segments, jugni was weak this season and the reason might be that teams literallty hit chaal for only 2 beats and call it a day. [/SIZE]

:p

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Bajwa99 said:
[SIZE=small]Hotter jugni segments, jugni was weak this season and the reason might be that teams literallty hit chaal for only 2 beats and call it a day. [/SIZE]
Seriously! Hope everyone's doing their squats and wall sits right now

TegHans

BTF Mixing Mod
SPD Motor City by farrrr

Clutch City - Definitely the best 4th of July weekend I've ever had.

BASS - Killed it in both Australia and the US

SDK - Loved their Clutch set, definitely a force to be reckoned with in the near future

Sher e Punjab @ Hilltop

BASS Jagga - whoever thought of that is a genius

CMU's tabla gimmick..just didn't hit for me

8. If you attended a competition this season, which one was your favourite and which one was your least favourite from
an organizational aspect?

Clutch City - Dope planning and organization, everything ran smoothly, but the MC's were most definitely not who I would hire for a Bhangra comp.

NorCal Naujawan @ Clutch (of course I'm bias)

Sacrificing gracefulness and core elements of Bhangra for "hype" and cleanliness

Sacrificing gracefulness and core elements of Bhangra for "hype" and cleanliness...just with more dancers on stage

More activity on BTF! More critiques especially towards newer teams so that they can get better.

More Cali representation once again (both teams and comps wise)

-Need to see the return of the GCC/Nachda Sansaar/AJ that danced at TBC 2014
-Less hi hats/snares in mixes

AmitojSThind

Bhangra Dancer // Mixer 〰 BASS Boyz 〰
Staff member
[SIZE=small]1. Which routine was your favourite?[/SIZE]
Shaan Punjab Dee @ Motor City Bhangra 2016
Holy smokes that set took me through all the ages of bhangra, from the 1950s to today. So many feels watching that set. Wish I was there to see it live. Heard amazing things.

Bruin Bhangra XVIII. Most diverse and stacked lineup for the NA region this season. Competition was blast and another amazing overseas experience.

CMU. You guys are really good at doing you, keep at it. The jhoomer intro was a nice idea and well executed. Excited to see what's in store for the next season.

4. Which team were you most surprised about
Sher E Panjab Bhangra Club - SEPBC
Your clutch and hilltop sets were really nice. Lots of traditional elements that worked well. Super keen to see what you guys have in store next. Btw that khunda pump formation swap was clutch ( ;) ) asf!

Jagga Jatt BASS (Major bias because it was our team's gimmick and my pitch loll)

Bhangra Empire Bruin 2016

- Bruin Bhangra XVIII. Most diverse and stacked lineup for the NA region this season. 5 hour delay to our tech time was gruelling though to say the least. Overall though, competition was blast, chilled with amazing people and was another enjoyable international experience.
- Harbour City Bhangra, very well organised and local Sydney comp (less travelling = major win haha)
[SIZE=small]- Bhangra Down Under 2015, very poor organisation, though a fun weekend with the boys.[/SIZE]

Nachdi Jawani Warriors @ Burgh 2015 and Soormay @ MCB 2016
Both fire folk mixes.

- Everyone getting more people on stage.
- Slow "lovey dovey" jhoomer routines, basically just consisting of walking around stage. Either on super senti, or Bollywood songs.

- Everyone getting more people on stage (16, 20, so on...)
- More teams straying away from the core traditional elements of bhangra and clean sets, in order to make what's hype and popular at the time :(

- More varying line ups in NA comps. Seemed like the same teams at pretty much every competition. Honestly got boring seeing the same teams compete against each other, every 1-2 months.
- Less Bollywood.

- TBC 2016. Many of UK's biggest teams like GCC, Nachda Sansaar and Ankhile have been underground for quite a while. Interested to see what they bring in September.
- Further expansion of the Australian Bhangra scene ;D ;D

- SPD, Jawani Warriors and other Toronto Teams to compete more often.
- Elite 8, WBBC and other big comps returning.
- More folk sets and live routines plsssssssss.
- MORE AUSSIE COMPS!!

Shahrukh

Shaan Punjab Dee @ Motor City

LOL

Shaan Punjab Dee, its not about how many times you perform in a season. If you smack everyone with one performance you smack em with one performance. Quality over quantity.

Shaan Punjab Dee. Watch their 2014 BAB performance, the improvement is incredible.

Sher e Punjab at Hilltop, nasty set.

LOL but low key CMU Chaiyya Chaiyya gimmick, don't make jokes.

Too many to list

Blowout, the show ran on time, and crowd was lit.

NJ Warriors at Burgh 2015
Putting a lot of people on stage

More focus on gimmicks, not enough focus on dancing.

More focus on executing moves, and making routines that flow.

More performances from teams that dance at a higher level than the rest (SPD, Warriors)

Focus on dancing with better form, stronger dancing, stronger routines that flow.

R_Sharma

CMU @ Blowout

Seeing this set at Burgh and then again at Blowout really shows what the evolution of a set can/should be

Bruin for sure, lineup was great and getting out to LA was dope

CMU

GMU @ Blowout, loved how unique their set was

Buckeye @ Burgh
Rochester Bhangra @ TOI

Jagga Jatt--BASS
Banner Toss--DRP

Srujan did a great job of managing accommodating so many teams--really well run

NJW @ Burgh 9
Bruin Bhangra @ Blowout

Bollywood segments+more people on stage

Probably continuing to get more people on stage+more gimmicks

More competitions and seeing more international teams competing

Hopefully the return of older/bigger comps like WBBC & Elite 8

More diverse lineups across the circuit

vaibhav

Best Routine: DRP at Bruin
Best Performance: SPD at Motor City

Hosting Bruin is always a blast!
In terms of actually competing, I was most excited for Blowout. DC was way too awesome!

Both CMU and SPD were equally great in my eyes.
CMU defined consistency and really rekindled a dying fire in the college circuit, while SPD set a new gold standard for bhangra.

Royal Bhangra Girls.
From placing 1st at West Coast Bhangra to putting up a stellar performance at Bruin, these girls were really were something else. Wouldn't be surprised to see them dominating the circuit in the near future

Sher-E-Punjab at Clutch City, Tune Squad at Bruin (easily one of the funnest performances I've watched live), Cal at Bruin.

6. What was your favorite gimmick?
MBT's Trump gimmick. That was way too fun to watch.
KPGD's entire routine at Boston. There were so many unique moments/ideas/gimmicks that were so well integrated into that routine. I, for one, became a huge fan and really enjoyed watching them attempt to push the boundaries of bhangra this past season.

Blowout was awesome!

BASS @ Bruin. Easily one of my favorite mixes of all time! The mix complemented the routine so well. It was really well made and thought out!

16 person sets. (Hopefully this works out for the teams that try it out. Though, going from 12-->16 can be a pretty tough transition for some teams)

The collegiate circuit. With so many successful collegiate teams this season, many of whom showed their unique styles and approaches to bhangra, I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge burst in the collegiate scene next season!

Girls teams: Really looking forward to see how both up and coming teams and established girls team (vancity girls, dcbc, smd, royal, etc.) do next next season! Should be a big year for all of them.

Live Teams: I can definitely see more teams trying out live bhangra next year, especially after being inspired by SPD. Hope more comps can add live categories next season!

Would love to see more Toronto teams competing at US comps!

kman58

SPD @ MCB

Aside from Tashan (obvious bias), probably Hilltop. Great to see another DMV comp happening especially with the breadth of teams in the area.

BASS for sure, within 2 years putting up sets better than most teams here that have been going for many many more.

SPD, did not expect to see some shit like that.

Rochester Bhangra @ TOI, they're the team to watch out for this coming year.
VSB @ Declaration and Richmond Mela, insane dedication out of this academy

BASS Jagga Jatt

NKD, the amount of thought they give to little details is what makes a big difference. Least fav def any mela, stop keeping the IST standard alive. It is very possible to run on time and have an organized show while also treating teams well.

Any personal biases aside, NorCal @ Clutch and Aston @ TBS. GSingh's attention to cleanliness and musicality in a mix is something everyone else is lacking yet should all aspire for. For Aston's, Prem has improved immensely, going away from the traditionally overused loops/samples in UK mixes while still maintaining that old school hiphop pump everyone loves in Bhangra mixes.

10. What do you think was the trend this season
Easier but cleaner routines

Bigger teams

More Live comps closer to east coast, west coast are the only ones doing it consistently.

The plethora of new comps popping up, as well as Tashan 2016 (gonna be huge)

Emphasis on creativity and complexity in choreo instead of making boring easy sets that get cleanliness points on a rubric. Also mix-wise, producers realizing the importance of song choice, production quality/cleanliness and musicality when making a stage mix.