• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

2016-2017 Competitive Season Review

Howie Magz

I was bored at work and thought we bring this back from the past. Old is gold.

Best Coed Team:
Best All Guys Team:
Best All Girls Team:
Best US Team:
Best Canadian Team:
Most Improved Team:
Best Competition to Compete At:
Best Set:
Best Gimmick:
Best Team Overall:
Best Mix:
Best Vardiyan:

sdadoo15

Staff member
Thanks @Howie Magz!! Always a fun thread to have.

1.) Best Coed Team: Buckeye and UNC. Such a fun rivalry to be a part of all year.
2.) Best All Guys Team: SPD. FCB also had a dope year again
3.) Best All Girls Team: don't think any one team dominated the rest
**4.) Best UK Team: not going off a lot here, but Birmingham at TBS was an amazing performance
5.) Best Canadian Team: SPD and Folk Loverz
6.) Most Improved Team: VT and Illini
7.) Best Competition to Compete At: Bruin. Always such a good time.
8.) Best Team Overall: again don't know if there was one team that dominated the circuit this year
9.) Best Mix: Folk Loverz @ MCB (DjJsM), NSG @ Bruin (Pabla), Furteelay @ Circle City (GSimz)
10.) Best Vardiyan: MOB SYDNEY

AmitojSThind

Bhangra Dancer // Mixer 〰 BASS Boyz 〰
Staff member
Best Coed Team: Buckeye
Best All Guys Team: Shaan Punjab Dee
Best Canadian Team: Shaan Punjab Dee and NJ Folk Loverz
Most Improved Team: Illini
Best Competition to Compete At: Harbour City Bhangra (always a dope comp)
Best Set: Shaan Punjab Dee Big X (next level execution)
Best Gimmick: KPGD Bruin history of Bhangra gim
Best Team Overall: Shaan Punjab Dee
Best Mix: Nj Folk Loverz Bit6ix and SPD Big X

Last edited:

guranshsingh

Best Coed Team: Buckeye and UNC- even as an outsider, it was fun to see the evolution and competition of both teams from early fall through Blowout
Best All Guys Team: SPD- unmatched execution
Best All Girls Team: Royal- swaggy af
Best Canadian Team: SPD
Most Improved Team: KPGD
Best Competition to Compete At: Bruin!
Best Gimmick: NSG @ Bruin (wait for the video ;))
Best Mix: BBXIX Mixtape lol @Saab @vaibhav jkjk, Furteelay @ Circle City, NSG @ Bruin (shouts to Pabla and Vaibzzy), KPGD @ bruin

nikhil95

Best Coed Team: UNC/Buckeye I don't even know how to pick, they just wrecked all year and had so many placings
Best US Team: FCB
Most Improved Team: UNC
Best Competition to Compete At: BXB was amazing I hope it sticks around
Best Set: SPD @ BXB execution on this set was just insane
Best Team Overall: SPD by far
Best Mix: FCB @ Burgh/ Furteelay @ Circle City

sahab

Best Coed Team: Cal, UNC, buckeye. UNC and Buckeye were most consistent, but I think UNC is the top.
Best All Guys Team: Easy, SPD. They haven't lost since Windy City bhangra. Stretch Answer: FCB. FCB's big ten set was great to watch, and execution was there.
Best All Girls Team: Not sure. I feel like there was a lack of presence of all womems teams in the circuit. I thinks it is a title that is up for grabs. Still need to see Royal's performance. But you could also say BASS Queens.
Best US Team: AEG by pure placings. FCB by dancing.
Best Canadian Team: Easy: SPD.
Most Improved Team: Illini, where did they come from.
Best Competition to Compete At: No answer. From my experience this year, Circle was the most fun comp. Very organized and when the comp was over, placings were announced almost immediately. Appreciated that a lot.
Best Set: Pure dancing- FCB at Big ten. It was far from a perfect set (jhoomer was short, long jugni segment), but the flow and choreo make it my vote for best set. Another one is Birmingham TBS. Amazing to watch, just pure dancing. I would say Birmingham was more impactful than FCB @ big ten.
Fauj's set at big ten was awesome to watch. The first time I watched it, I didn't like it. But when I saw all the tweaks and modifications after watching it 50 times, I appreciated it for what it is.
Best Gimmick: KPGD's entire set at bruin.
Best Team Overall: Easy answer: SPD. VERY VERY Stretch answer: UNC<--- Burgh was their best performance of the year. I enjoyed watching UNC's burgh performance far more than any other performance from that comp.
Best Mix: Birmingham TBS.
Best Vardiyan: Fauj

I want to add a couple more too:
Best comeback: KPGD, AEG
What do you think the future of Bhangra is?: I think it is going to get more and more folk. I expect by 2020 for thereto be at least 5 good live times in the US..
Funniest mistake/messup: At Nachde Nasvhile, someone on Northwestern locked their saap, and when they tried to throw it of stage, it smacked one of their dancers in the face.
Best Male Dancer: Jagmeet (red jodi) on SPD. Saagar on FCB. Sumeet Jindal on KPGD.
Best Female Dancer: Deepika, pink from FCB big ten performance. Tanya Talwar, CMU.
Best Asian dancer: James Shen.

There was a great deal of turnover in the circuit this year. The 3 teams that placed at blowout 2016, didn't place in 2017. That's crazy!

SPD finally solidified themselves as the champs of Canada. Can't wait till the next time NJ and SPD go against each other.

Next year will be another crazy. I'm predicting Illini to solidify themselves as a top collegiate team. I'm predicting burgh 2017 will be the best lineup since MCB 2014. I also believe that the title for all guys team in the US is up for grabs, and it will be hotly contested.

BhangraSUCKS

Best Coed Team: Cal, UNC, buckeye. UNC and Buckeye were most consistent, but I think UNC is the top.
Best All Guys Team: Easy, SPD. They haven't lost since Windy City bhangra. Stretch Answer: FCB. FCB's big ten set was great to watch, and execution was there.
Best All Girls Team: Not sure. I feel like there was a lack of presence of all womems teams in the circuit. I thinks it is a title that is up for grabs. Still need to see Royal's performance. But you could also say BASS Queens.
Best US Team: AEG by pure placings. FCB by dancing.
Best Canadian Team: Easy: SPD.
Most Improved Team: Illini, where did they come from.
Best Competition to Compete At: No answer. From my experience this year, Circle was the most fun comp. Very organized and when the comp was over, placings were announced almost immediately. Appreciated that a lot.
Best Set: Pure dancing- FCB at Big ten. It was far from a perfect set (jhoomer was short, long jugni segment), but the flow and choreo make it my vote for best set. Another one is Birmingham TBS. Amazing to watch, just pure dancing. I would say Birmingham was more impactful than FCB @ big ten.
Fauj's set at big ten was awesome to watch. The first time I watched it, I didn't like it. But when I saw all the tweaks and modifications after watching it 50 times, I appreciated it for what it is.
Best Gimmick: KPGD's entire set at bruin.
Best Team Overall: Easy answer: SPD. VERY VERY Stretch answer: UNC<--- Burgh was their best performance of the year. I enjoyed watching UNC's burgh performance far more than any other performance from that comp.
Best Mix: Birmingham TBS.
Best Vardiyan: Fauj

I want to add a couple more too:
Best comeback: KPGD, AEG
What do you think the future of Bhangra is?: I think it is going to get more and more folk. I expect by 2020 for thereto be at least 5 good live times in the US..
Funniest mistake/messup: At Nachde Nasvhile, someone on Northwestern locked their saap, and when they tried to throw it of stage, it smacked one of their dancers in the face.
Best Male Dancer: Jagmeet (red jodi) on SPD. Saagar on FCB. Sumeet Jindal on KPGD.
Best Female Dancer: Deepika, pink from FCB big ten performance. Tanya Talwar, CMU.
Best Asian dancer: James Shen.

There was a great deal of turnover in the circuit this year. The 3 teams that placed at blowout 2016, didn't place in 2017. That's crazy!

SPD finally solidified themselves as the champs of Canada. Can't wait till the next time NJ and SPD go against each other.

Next year will be another crazy. I'm predicting Illini to solidify themselves as a top collegiate team. I'm predicting burgh 2017 will be the best lineup since MCB 2014. I also believe that the title for all guys team in the US is up for grabs, and it will be hotly contested.
Bro you could have just said SPD you really think people gonna read this? Some cant even read..

srazdan

Best Coed Team: UNC
Best All Guys Team: SPD - execution is next level (FCB brought some really dope ideas and choreo though)
Best All Girls Team: Not really sure - again, no one dominant team
Most Improved Team: Illini. Didn't even know they existed until they placed.
Best Competition to Compete At: Big 10 - out of the comps I've been to
Best Set: SPD at Big 10 & Birmingham at TBS (really killed it at the formation game)
Best Team Overall: SPD - watching them live at Big 10 was awesome
Best Mix: Furteelay - Circle City
Best Male Dancers: Sumeet, KPGD. Jagmeet & Prabh, SPD. Saagar & Dhir, FCB. Naishal, UNC.
Best Female Dancers: Red girl from Alamo City at BBC. Tanya, CMU. Angela, DRP. Deepika, FCB/KPGD.

jasvig

Jaskirat Vig
Best All Guys Team: SPD
Best Competition to Compete At: Nashville (out of the 3 I went to this year)
Best Set: UNC Blowout
Best Gimmick: NSG Shaadi.com
Best Team Overall: SPD
Best Mix: MoB Sydney Bruin
Most Underrated: CMU
Biggest trend of the season: Hu Haal Ve jhummar pause thing/ Running 16
Best New Team: Bhangre De Shokeen
Best Male: Jagmeet Saini
Best Female: Tanya Talwar

Last edited:

srikarran

BTF Mixing Mod
Best Coed Team: All 3 placing teams at Blowout were phenomenal
Best All Girls Team: Don't recall any from this season but I'll say SMD
Best Canadian Team: SPD, but I really liked NJ Joshiley at Circle City
Best Competition to Compete At: Big 10, Buckeye Mela
Best Set: KPGD @ Bruin, UNC @ Blowout
Best Gimmick: Mr Steal your Girl ;)
Best Mix: So many! FCB @ Big 10, Buckeye @ Blowout, Bruin Bhangra Competition Mixtape, Furteelay @ Circle (GSimz and GSingh)
Best Vardiyan: Cal, Buckeye

Kaashmoney

Best All Guys Team: SPD/FCB
Best All Girls Team: Royal
Best Canadian Team: NJ Joshiley
Best Competition to Compete At: Bruin
Best Gimmick: KPGD timeline
Best Team Overall: SPD/FCB
Best Mix: Furteelay @ Circle City, NJ Joshiley @ Circle City, NSG @ Bruin, UNC @ Blowout
Best Vardiyan: MOB Sydney
Best Male Dancers: Sumeet KPGD, Jagmeet SPD
Best Female Dancers: Deepika FCB/KPGD

naishp95

Best Coed Team: Overall - University of Birmingham
Best All Girls Team: Royal
Most Improved Team: Virginia Tech
Best Competition to Compete At: Bruin
Best Set: KGPD Bruin
Memorable Gimmick/Segment: VSB Intro :eek:; SPD ninja khunde spins; KPGD bruin set
Best Mix: JVD at Boston - GSingh
Best Male Dancers: Top Jodi on NJ Folk Loverz, Sumeet on KPGD, Top Jodi on SPD
Best Female Dancers: Deepika - FCB/KPGD/UNC/Khalsa; Tanya - CMU

rbansal4494

Best Coed Team: Gonna have to go with UNC on this one, consistently brought a hard sitting set wherever they went. Big ups to Cal & Buckeye as well
Best All Guys Team: SPD for execution, AEG for entertainment
Best All Girls Team: Don't think there were a lot competing this year but SMD held it down at Big Apple
Best US Team: AEG/Furteelay/UNC
Most Improved Team: Furteelay - After competing once in 2016 (after taking a year break before that) and going on to train a new squad that placed at Boston, NDC, and winning Circle City is huge. Bulldog Bhangra - started ripping up those fall semester west coast comps. Illini - these guys should've been at Blowout, expecting more next season.
Best Competition to Compete At: Got Bhangra Competition. This committee was unreal with hospitality and did everything in their power to make sure things went as smoothly as possible. For a first year comp they were amazing. I would highly recommend teams applying in the future.
Best Advice for Competitions: Please please please be smart about judges. Consult your local team if don't have any bhangra experience in terms of who a qualified judge. Make sure the judges you choose shape your rubric of the competition to what you want to see from teams and agree to judge to that set rubric.
Best Gimmick: the entire KPGD Bruin set
Best Mix: Furteelay @ Circle City, AEG @ Las Vegas Mela, UNC @ Blowout, AEG @ Got/Burgh
What are you expecting for next season: Liked where Saab was going with his comments. The all guys title is gonna be up for grabs. Would love to see NJW/SPD/AEG/Furteelay/MOB Chicago/NSG/FCB/KPGD/BASS go at it next season. Expecting to see a major upswing in the collegiate circuit (already started to see a lot of collegiate teams go head to head with independent teams, something that wasn't seen last season) and a higher turnover of dancers on independent teams. Would also love to see more things like Jhoomer Squad and DDR happening. Also predicting a US team competing in the UK next season

Howie Magz

Since so many people did theirs, I might as well put mine up. I am however putting top 3 for my format and excluding my team from the list.

Best Coed Team: 1. UNC 2. Buckeye 3. Cal Bhangra
Best All Guys Team: 1. SPD 2. FCB 3. Furteelay
Best All Girls Team: 1. SMD 2. DCBC 3. Panj Girls (This includes last couple of years)
Best US Team: 1. FCB 2. Furteelay 3. UNC
Best Canadian Team: 1. SPD 2. Vancity 3. NJ Joshilay
Most Improved Team: 1. Buckeye (100% you guys) 2. KPGD 3. UNC
Best Comeback Team: 1. Illini 2. KPGD
Best Competition to Compete At: Big Ten Bhangra (After 16 comps this is the best experience to date)
Best Set: 1. SPD (Big Ten) 2. KPGD (Bruin) 3. NJ Joshilay (Circle)
Best Gimmick: 1. KPGD (Bruin) 2. Buckeye (the jhoomer thing) 3. Can't think of one
Best Team Overall: 1. SPD 2. FCB 3. UNC
Best Mix: 1. Nachdi Joshilay (Circle City) 2. MOB Sydney (Bruin) 3. NSG (Bruin)
Best Vardiyan: 1. SPD 2. KPGD (Bruin ;) love you Kuntal) 3. Furteelay
What are you expecting for next season: All guys blood bath between (SPD, NJ Joshilay, KPGD, Furteelay, AEG, FCB, and BASS). I say we should all apply to Bhangra in the Burgh 2017 and have not only an awesome time, but who can call themselves the best all guys team. Canadian teams are still dominating the circuit today and I predict Vancity has something up there sleeve. I think All girls teams are coming back hard this year as well. DCBC was great at Big Ten and SMD was amazing at Big Apple. We had a excellent year in terms of collegiate bhangra and I want to give my hats off especially to Illini, Buckeye, UNC, and Cal.

Nimit

Best Coed Team: Buckeye (UNC is garbage)
Best All Girls Team: Vancity Girls. Only went to clutch last year but they were dope
Most Improved Team: The collegiate circuit in general. Making it competitive with the rest of the scene again. I'm glad we are not all trying to be VCU anymore
Best Competition to Compete At: Burgh is not the best run comp on the circuit but dancing on that stage is something else.

Best Dancer on the Circuit: Me. Not even close.
Worst Dancers on the Circuit: Everyone else on KPGD. Literally put the entire team on my back.