• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

a set standard

Mukandpuria

New Member
Messages
1,413
what do you guys think? For competitions that don't split the category, do you think they should explicitly state if they are a traditional competition or a modern...this way teams know where to apply?

but then do you think the competition will suffer with having all guys? thoughts?
 

Manjot

Active Member
Messages
2,058
Yeh that would be a big help if they tell the teams what kind of competition its going to be...teams like VCU/B2B(top of my head) are co-ed and hella traditional.
 

Ricky

NYPD BHANGRA
Messages
142
Manjot said:
Yeh that would be a big help if they tell the teams what kind of competition its going to be...teams like VCU/B2B(top of my head) are co-ed and hella traditional.
i totally agree with you there manjot
 

Cherag

Active Member
Messages
400
Ricky said:
Manjot said:
Yeh that would be a big help if they tell the teams what kind of competition its going to be...teams like VCU/B2B(top of my head) are co-ed and hella traditional.
i totally agree with you there manjot
I agree, this way it makes it alot easier for teams to choose competitions too, and how the crowd would react as well
 

Manjot

Active Member
Messages
2,058
another point to add...calling a competition strictly modern or traditional will lose its fan who love the other style more..it can hurt the organizers though cuz they might get less revenue...also the organizers also want local teams so more people show up as well...some places dont got both traditional and modern teams...
 

Akshay

New Member
Messages
59
i agree with manjot on this. An average audience member who is just interested in watching "bhangra" would just be blank with the whole idea of having modern vs. traditional. They are going to watch bhangra, they dont know how different moves vary. So just keep it as it is.
Also, it would hurt the organizers because its target market would be very limited depending if its modern or traditional. Maybe having both and just categorizing the placings could help out
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
yeah I agree with manjot as well. It will save money to teams who travel such a long way just to get jacked from placing. I was never too keen of the music/dhol categories idea, but after much thought, I think its a great. However, the thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the fact that when you have categories, you have 5 or 6 teams in each pool. Usually competitions have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each category. You dont get that much satisfaction out of only beating 4 or 3 teams. Thats why if you're going to have categories, just have a 1st place and 2nd place for each. Or maybe have more teams in each category and shorter time limits. I think it would make things much more interesting. But then again I dont think the audience wants to see 16 teams perform. That would tire the crap out of them.
 

Mukandpuria

New Member
Messages
1,413
Meistro said:
yeah I agree with manjot as well. It will save money to teams who travel such a long way just to get jacked from placing. I was never too keen of the music/dhol categories idea, but after much thought, I think its a great. However, the thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the fact that when you have categories, you have 5 or 6 teams in each pool. Usually competitions have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each category. You dont get that much satisfaction out of only beating 4 or 3 teams. Thats why if you're going to have categories, just have a 1st place and 2nd place for each. Or maybe have more teams in each category and shorter time limits. I think it would make things much more interesting. But then again I dont think the audience wants to see 16 teams perform. That would tire the crap out of them.
Meistro my concerns exactly with the split category, if you have 6 teams and 3 places you have a 50 precent change of places....and i would think it would make the competition a little more interesting if it was 3 out of 12 chances of places...

also Sharu brought up a good point on Vent when we discussed this....the whole Dhol/ Music idea...that was created to split traditional teams and modern teams up to give them a fair chance...but i think you can have teams like SGPD on music doing traditional moves so how is that really splitting it up...I think i would make more sense to have it split by style rather than music/dhol..

lol and I am still cracking on Lalli's (sher) comment about putting him in Traditional category
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
Abhi said:
Meistro said:
yeah I agree with manjot as well. It will save money to teams who travel such a long way just to get jacked from placing. I was never too keen of the music/dhol categories idea, but after much thought, I think its a great. However, the thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the fact that when you have categories, you have 5 or 6 teams in each pool. Usually competitions have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each category. You dont get that much satisfaction out of only beating 4 or 3 teams. Thats why if you're going to have categories, just have a 1st place and 2nd place for each. Or maybe have more teams in each category and shorter time limits. I think it would make things much more interesting. But then again I dont think the audience wants to see 16 teams perform. That would tire the crap out of them.
Meistro my concerns exactly with the split category, if you have 6 teams and 3 places you have a 50 precent change of places....and i would think it would make the competition a little more interesting if it was 3 out of 12 chances of places...

also Sharu brought up a good point on Vent when we discussed this....the whole Dhol/ Music idea...that was created to split traditional teams and modern teams up to give them a fair chance...but i think you can have teams like SGPD on music doing traditional moves so how is that really splitting it up...I think i would make more sense to have it split by style rather than music/dhol..

lol and I am still cracking on Lalli's (sher) comment about putting him in Traditional category
yeah thats what I meant. More teams in each category would suffice. No doubt I love 10-12 teams going at it, with no categories. But then the judging criteria gets effed up. This forces you to either make your competition traditional OR modern. This is what we have been seeing. With the separation of categories, Music and Dhol, you have two separate criterion and a more fair competition. The only problem is, the audience doesnt wanna see 8+ teams in each category (to make it more interesting). More teams in each category would make the competition interesting.
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
While I enjoy competitions that have both modern and traditional teams since it varies things up, it becomes harder to judge what is "better" and should get more points. Having a competition that says "We seek traditional teams to apply" or "Yo, rock it modern" will make it easier on the judges and better for the teams. But it may not be best for the audience.

I would like a competition to say "SNPO teams only"
 

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
Instead of explicitly saying modern or traditional, competitions should create judging rubrics that actually reflect either style, and release them with registration packets. Some competitions already do this (I believe Blowout and VIBC), and it provides teams with accurate expectations.
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
dheerja said:
Instead of explicitly saying modern or traditional, competitions should create judging rubrics that actually reflect either style, and release them with registration packets. Some competitions already do this (I believe Blowout and VIBC), and it provides teams with accurate expectations.
1. As organizer from marketing perspective would definitely not say "modern" or "trad", if teams absolutely wanted to know then maybe would state in registration packet.

2. I agree with most = Dheerja
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
Mariam said:
dheerja said:
Instead of explicitly saying modern or traditional, competitions should create judging rubrics that actually reflect either style, and release them with registration packets. Some competitions already do this (I believe Blowout and VIBC), and it provides teams with accurate expectations.
1. As organizer from marketing perspective would definitely not say "modern" or "trad", if teams absolutely wanted to know then maybe would state in registration packet.

2. I agree with most = Dheerja
Yeah why would you market a competition as MODERn or TRADITIONAL. The audience cant tell the different. Bhangra is Bhangra. What is MORE important is for TEAMS to kow what category the competition falls under.
 
Top