• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Aspect of Teams from India

Somi

Hookah is NOT harmful!
Messages
553
Jabar Jung said:
What you mean us! and yes i don't like their way of bhangra, not the people obviosly we all are bhangra buddehs.
Us meaning Pakistan...not USA
and yes Jabbar their way of bhangra not the guys...
 

tonygarcha

New Member
Messages
67
Just to add to this topic, recently I was judging at Bhangra Idols, and before the competition, the judges were all talking about bhangra here and in india. The judges ranged from 20s up to the 60s. One interesting fact I learned was that in Punjab, they have gotten more strict on their judging/competition criteria..teams now are not allowed to do double standing (shoulder stands) or any stunts and the routines have to be comprised of bhangra sets only (ie dhamaal, jugni, jhummar, etc). They arent able to mix and match (as we do here). they have to complete each section with a proper set (full 4, 8, 10, 12, or 16 step actions, etc). The judges were saying how now, routines are so set in stone, that the teams look like they are doing the same routine, but they look at execution, energy, formations, etc. Again this is what i've heard, I havent been to punjab so cannot confirm this, perhaps someone can?

regards
 

pritpal94

Active Member
Messages
1,312
Waleed said:
Jabar Jung said:
YES they do, i was there last month and my cousin told me...their school did khalsa junction's 03 :-X :mad:routine...I really hated it because it's India and then they do a performace like khalsa junction...really stupid...internet did bring a change.
Is this them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ir04KRwVc8

Also, I think its fine if a team in India did a NA routine, I'm sure they enjoy dancing to a different style of choreography just to mix things up for them.

When they are dancing at the end to Bhangra Punjabian ne Pauna, they copied VCU when they did an old performance. They used sort of a + (plus).
 
Top