• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

B.C.D. - Bhangra Circuit Database [WIP]

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
Project Name: B. C. D. ? Bhangra Circuit Database (Tentative Name)
I am still looking for better and more badass acronyms.

Description: Essentially, I am making a database and I need your opinions. Imagine a database that will take three main components in the following hierarchical order:
1. Competitions
2. Teams
3. Dancers

I have the end-product in mind as I design this. I will program the database so that it can easily and store data. Secondary programs will allow SEARCH functions. Imagine being able to search for competitions that have been in Michigan in the past, or all the teams who placed first in the last year or the names of the people on independent teams who placed at Bhangra Fusion competition in the last 3 years. Baller? Yes, I know. ;D

With my database, you can rank competitions whatever manner you want and apply a point system to these competitions and the teams that placed. You can have your version of the rankings of the top bhangra teams in whatever way you want. All I provide is the means.

After the major coding is complete, I will need input of data from all of you. Simple information like your team basic information, where they competed in the past, who competed on your team with you?etc. Things that will take a maximum of 5 minutes and will help make the Bhangra Circuit a recorded event. Websites like DesiDanceTeams and even BTF to a degree simply have you know where teams competed and maybe who is part of the teams. This has an emphasis on data manipulation.

Goals:
1. Data is efficiently stored.
2. Data is easily read.
3. Create methods and classes for secondary programs for SEARCH functions.

Database Criteria:
Competition Information
Name (ie: Boston Bhangra Competition)
Sub-Names (ie: BBC)
Location (ie: Boston, MA)
Producer (ie: Boston Bhangra, Inc)
Competition Date (ie: 11/15/08)
Teams Competiting along with Placings (Multiple Placings for 1st, 2nd, 3d for ties and competitions with modern/traditional or live/recorded placings)

Team Information
Name (ie: Spartan Bhangra)
Sub-Names (ie: CWRU Bhangra, Case Bhangra, SB)
Type (ie: University)
Affiliation (ie: Case Western Reserve University)
Location (ie: Cleveland, OH)

Dancer Information
Name (ie: Kinnell Shah)
Hometown (ie: Northborough, MA)

Don?t worry about programming things like two people with the same name. I have things like that covered. Data input will not have to be comprehensive. You will have the ability to simply enter your name, your team name and 1 competition that you competed in and it will entire that into the database. The more input from various sources means the more complete the database becomes

What do I want from you guys right now?
1. OPINION: What do you HONESTLY think of this?
2. BETTER NAME: Better name for this project.
3. SUGGESTIONS: What values should be added to the database? What other things do you want to see?
4. ETHICS: Do you think this task is ethical? You can take the name ?Shanjeet Gill? and find out where he is from, what competitions he competed in, for what teams and how big of a loser he is. ;)
 

Rohit

New Member
Messages
163
Seems like a very good idea. Would it be possible to add a link to that team's performance for that certain competition? Not a bad thing to add, would make it a lot easier to find video's as well so you can be the judge of that competitiong sort of feeling.
 

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,928
Kinnell

See http://bhangrateamsforum.com/discuss/index.php?topic=417.0

Abhi is working on this db project as we speak, although I know he's really busy with school and all. Perhaps you could help him? We've gotten some teams' info, and some competitions'. We'll create another part of BTF to house and query this info.

Always looking for additional talent to help out!
Saleem
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
Dancer function! Current location and hometown! So if you need a replacement you can search that sh*t up and find someone (well not in Michigan cuz Mich sucks...), lol. Maybe you should have a free agent section... so teams can link up with these "free agents" if they need a dancer...
 
Top