• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Bhangra Allstars results

Laddi

Congratzzzzzzzzz V:OT and everyone else who placed!!!! Someone post some reviews please!? ;D

oJaLa

Bhangra makes the world go round
woot woot SMD and AEG!!!!!

SMD brought it hard, fuckin amazing to watch these girlsss!!

and navi sandhu best dancer, can't get any better =)

will post a full review once I'm fully sober....

Desi Dhamaka

Desi Dhamaka, Bhangra Allstars, Fusion Faceoff...
I want to thank all the teams that participated. I will say this show survived only due to the amazing performances of all the teams. Each team was great and the judges had a real tough time trying to decide. All the teams should be proud of their performances.

I just also want to say this was a bad weekend for a show in Albany. We had alot of technical diffculties with the hall. That put us in a bad position. I hope that my team was able to make up for the sound. The hall sound system unfortunetly blew during the rehearsals. Also our wonderful shuttle driver decided to take a coffee break during the rehearsals delaying the rehearsals by upto 45 mins. I apologize to all the teams for that. We also lost about a 150 people from the audience due to the hall not turning the light on the sign for the school. Which made it difficult for finding the place. We delayed the show as much as we could. But even with all this going the teams were all each so supportive of us. And we really appreciate each team and their feedback on the show. I wish we had more time where I could have met each one of the participants. Unfortunetly due to the schedule there was alot of participants that I could not meet.

The judges as usually were terrific. From the feedback I recd from the teams the judges were really thorough and gave all the teams ways of improving.

But the afterparty was where I think we all got to just chill and have fun. It was a blast and the place was packed. I was able to meet some of the participants there.

I wanto thank all the participants, judges, mpe live, sob tv, and my lil sis Rupinder Sandhu (Texas Showdown Bhangra) for coming all the way to NY for the show. Also I forgot their names the Dholi and Singer. I wish I had more time to give them to continue singing.

Well finally this show is done and now off to planning out Bhangra Blizzard and Desi Dhamaka

mrchicity

Just wanted to post a really quick review:
The comp was pretty fun, but it did have several problems. The organizers all seemed really nice, but certain things were just out of their hands. I know the venue wasn't the original site for the competition, but it was still pretty bad. You couldn't see formations for any of the teams, which took a lot away from each performance. I'm also pretty sure that there were more performers than attendees, and the crowd was dead silent for several of the performances, but i think Anil addressed that also. Anyway, here are a couple thoughts on the performances i watched. I know that a couple teams have Boston next week, so I won't give anything away.

Columbia: Didn't see you, but thanks to Raj for helping out w/ paghs, also hope you guys found your missing chimta.

LJM: This performance was sloppy. I didn't see one part of the routine where people weren't off. Kinnell's clearly the best dancer on the team, but it's fairly obvious that much time wasn't spent making some of the other people on your team better. Everyone's styles were different and your choreo seemed to be too complicated for your team to handle. (by the way, I saw Kinnell at the afterparty having some weird bhangra dance battle w/ guys from aeg. All I saw was people doing random moves and adding wild spins to them. It looked like a pirouette competition)

AEG: I'm trying hard not to give anything away cuz I know you have boston next week. I don't know much about your formations because there was no way to really see them, but you guys need to clean up if you wanna place next week. Certain things were pretty sick, loved the jhummar, but your last instrumental segment was strange, I didn't really like it. The reason we have saap and khunde segments is because you can actually do things which look interesting with them, but what you guys tried to do just didn't really translate for me (it's vague, but i don't wanna give too much away). I also kinda liked your old outfits better, they looked more colorful. Congrats on second place though. (also, another afterparty comment. To the guy who tried to 'dance battle' my teammate on UVA, doing betkas w/ weird kickouts isn't really bhangra, it just looks kinda dumb)

Virsa: You guys obviously wanted to prove something and it showed. This set was much improved over the TBYF one, which I thought wasn't as good as AEG's at the same comp. Execution of moves was also a lot better. The beginning part was sick, but I kinda lost interest in the middle, idk. Congrats on the well deserved 1st place.

Bankian Naaran: Didn't get to see it

Virginia Tech: I was impressed, execution of moves was much better than what I've seen before. I love the song you did phumaniya to, I gotta get that from Kurren at some point.

SMD: You girls had crazy energy/style, and that definitely what got you 3rd. Only other thing I had to say about your routine is that there weren't many valleys and peaks in your routine. It was pretty much constant high energy, which looks good but doesn't hold much lasting potential. Congrats on 3rd

Cornell: You guys also have work to do before Boston. It's a decent set, but formations/moves need to be cleaned up. Also, I've never been a huge fan of the graffiti stunt. It takes so much time to do, and it gives you guys a lot of rest, which is why there are always these judging guidelines which say that people can't get off stage during the routine. Idk, maybe it wasn't as much of a crowd pleaser here because there was barely a crowd, but I know that you guys got a huge response for it at blowout, so maybe it'll work better next week. Shout out to the other Kartik Shastri, lollll

Gajjdi Jawani: Impressive for high schoolers, just gotta work on nakhra, a lot of people weren't smiling.

I don't think we want our video up on youtube or anything right now, so if you do have a video of us, please PM me but don't post it. Then again, I don't think many people were recording anything anyway, so i don't know if it matters. It'd definitely be good to get some feedback for ourselves tho, so if anyone could say anything, it'd be appreciated.

KingGeorge

mrchicity said:
(also, another afterparty comment. To the guy who tried to 'dance battle' my teammate on UVA, doing betkas w/ weird kickouts isn't really bhangra, it just looks kinda dumb)
hahahahahaha "tenu patai ah"

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
mrchicity said:
LJM: This performance was sloppy. I didn't see one part of the routine where people weren't off. Kinnell's clearly the best dancer on the team, but it's fairly obvious that much time wasn't spent making some of the other people on your team better. Everyone's styles were different and your choreo seemed to be too complicated for your team to handle. (by the way, I saw Kinnell at the afterparty having some weird bhangra dance battle w/ guys from aeg. All I saw was people doing random moves and adding wild spins to them. It looked like a pirouette competition)
And you should stop beating your kids. I know little Sally tells you to stop, but the bruises on her face say otherwise. See what happened there? Honesty doesn't kill good reviews, making assumptions does.

Thanks for the review. We will continue to put more work on getting cleaner. And I'm glad that we were able to entertain you at the afterparty. I'm in talks right now with Gurbir about having a Brazilian Capoeira dance off at Boston next weekend. You don't want to miss that one. ;)

Kartik

kinnell said:
mrchicity said:
And you should stop beating your kids. I know little Sally tells you to stop, but the bruises on her face say otherwise. See what happened there? Honesty doesn't kill good reviews, making assumptions does.

Thanks for the review. We will continue to put more work on getting cleaner. And I'm glad that we were able to entertain you at the afterparty. I'm in talks right now with Gurbir about having a Brazilian Capoeira dance off at Boston next weekend. You don't want to miss that one. ;)
Chill man no need to extrapolate one word and go on about the harms of assumptions vs. honesty. Take it down a notch and just accept the constructive criticism to improve the other dancers around you; I though some parts of the LJM routine were clever no doubt, but the main factor was the execution by the team as a whole.

Shoutout to Virsa for help with paggs, and right back at the other Kartik Shastri haha too funny man.

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Kartik said:
kinnell said:
mrchicity said:

Chill man no need to extrapolate one word and go on about the harms of assumptions vs. honesty. Take it down a notch and just accept the constructive criticism to improve the other dancers around you; I though some parts of the LJM routine were clever no doubt, but the main factor was the execution by the team as a whole.

Shoutout to Virsa for help with paggs, and right back at the other Kartik Shastri haha too funny man.
hahah my badd... I was only pseudo-serious. LOLOL As I said, I appreciate the otherwise pretty well-written critique, but it's really not a big deal. :)

Desi Dhamaka

Desi Dhamaka, Bhangra Allstars, Fusion Faceoff...
Hey guys I hope more people will be giving reviews. Im really looking for the constructive criticism. We are already working on Desi Dhamaka to fix alot of what was wrong with this comp. So the feedback you guys give me, the more I can incorporate that into Dhamaka and Blizzard. Thanks again.

siddyp

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Congrats to the placing teams!!

V:OT, AEG, SMD, reppin NY

lavesh

allstars was a BLAST!!!!! unfortunately, i cant give much of a review cause i was helping tie pugghan and getting my dancers ready for the comp (even though we were last haha), so i personally only saw a few teams...anyways, this is more of a shoutout thread, because there were so many people who helped us out, and without them, none of this would have been possible!

thanks to sukha, jabar, n sonny for all their help! juggy is the new pugh tier cause of sukha haha, and thanks to jabar for helpin out with the mava!

special shoutout to all the virsa boys...some of u on btf may be surprised to read this, but they were probably some of the best role models for the high school dancers that i took the competition...we were rite next door to them, so they came over n played cards with my dancers n kept them entertained the whole time...even after the afterparty, gary, jabar, n sonny came to the room to hangout with them...u dont see that kinda stuff at bhangra comps, to me it seems like everyone just wants to get drunk n throwdown, but both friday and sat nite, the virsa guys helped make it a great time for gajjdi jawani and i cant thank them enough for showing the dancers what bhangra comps should really be about...cept for the boliyaan n jokes u guys shared with juggy hahahhahaha

huge shoutout to micken (sp?) from uva...came through in the clutch when a turla came out during the middle of the 8th act (we were 10th hahah), n thanks again for the saap...mad respect for this man

also, thanks to dheerja n smd for the 2 katos, and thanks to onki from aeg for tiein 2 pughs!

thanks to anil for throwing sucha great comp...took care of the teams to the fullest...only suggestion is some of the hotel workers really didnt like bhangra teams haha, i would def suggest changing hotels

great seeing sabi, inder, kinnel, n akhshay, and nice to meet raj from columbia, arjun from cornell, and a few different people on v-tech...best of luck on future competitions!

last, im very proud of you gajjdi jawani dancers who are reading this! you guys killed it out there, you should be proud of all the hard work you put in :)

JeetS

Venue was kind of empty but a good competition! Here's a short review:

Columbia: Good energy and execution. Formations seemed a little off though. Entertaining.

NJM: Really sloppy. I was having trouble following the set. Work on dancing together as a team. Kinnell stood out the most, definitely the best dancer on the team.

AEG: Sick energy, work on being clean. I actually liked the ending, it was creative and different. This set seemed more traditional than your previous ones and it works better in my opinion. Formations were sick, nice use of the stage. The green jodi was nastyy. Maybe use less domino effects ;) Well deserved 2nd place. Good luck at Boston.

Virsa: FOLK. Good energy and execution, entertaining set. Formations were sick. Lots of nakhra in this set, keeps the audience entertained. Well deserved 1st place.

Bankian Naaran. FOLK. Both singers were sickk. I really like that you actually dance as girls. Best eight girl set i've seen. Clean and traditional. The team lacked energy though and I feel like this is what brought you down from placing higher. Work on the energy and you guys are one of the top all girls teams.

UVA: FOLK. Good energy, clean, nakhra. Good execution of moves. Definitely should have placed higher. Set was simple but sick.

Virginia Tech: Good execution, clean and energetic. I didn't like the song selection too much or the outfits.

SMD: LOTS of energy. Probably why you placed 3rd. 12 girls really filled up the stage. The set was okay. Its really random, some of the choreo doesn't make sense. I know you girls are modern, but even as a modern team, there should be some flow in the set. You have the energy, just add some grace as well. You girls were probably the most energetic team of the night. Congrats on 3rd.

I missed Cornell's and Gajjdi Jawani's performances.