Mariam said:
paobhangre said:
How do I keep my hands from looking flimsy?
flex them. be aware of every muscle in your body while ur dancing, from your fingers to your feet. do moves slowly and concentrate and controlling and flexing and stiffening your body, soon it'll come naturally even when you dance at normal pace. myabe practice moves slowly with arms only, then add legs
This.
The thing about bhangra is that it's supposed to be natural-and likewise learning with a natural progression.
The way I did it (Note-different people do different paths. Mine worked for me, but it may not work for others) was to tighten my arms from my shoulders all the way down to my finger tips. This taught me where my arms SHOULD be, and to show strength in the movement of my arms.
Eventually when I could do this without thinking, I loosened my arms and-more importantly-my shoulders. While your arms are in the air (strongly-coming from the step above this), your shoulders should be bouncing. As a pure example, loosen and drop your arms completely and do lifts/taps/jugni/anything, you'll notice your shoulders bouncing naturally. That's how they're supposed to move even when your arms are up (strongly). They should be bouncing naturally as your feet hit the ground and in between.