• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Bhangra Blowout Placings

Pooja

I put the double o in cool.
sartajjudge said:
hsdeol said:
sartajjudge said:
1. Bhangra de Mehfil: 2nd place
only 1 placing at BdM, the remaining teams were not ranked/placed

Didn't Nachdi Jawani get 1st? (Meaning other teams did place)
NJ "won" the competition - meaning no other teams placed because...there were no more placings or rankings! As is Elite 8 - there's one placing, the other teams are not ranked/placed.

Pavan

congrats to placing teams. Drexel and UNC looked great earlier in the year, nice to see them get rewarded at blowout. and vcu has consistently placed at blowout the past few years, didnt expect anything less this time, they are still a pretty dominant team

burghwala

CONGRATS UNC/DUB!!!!

UNC is barely graduating anyone and should be a serious co-ed threat to the big guys next year. Expect bigger, riskier sets with alan raj rashi and ameer. it was less than a single point difference between DUB and UNC... just a change in the lineup could have shifted the results. Not to take credit away from drexel, both performances were the most fun and entertaining of the night.

really disappointed with the lack of cleanliness in uva and cornell's performances. never seen top jodis make so many mistakes on what is the biggest competition of the year for most of the teams that competed.

the collegiate landscape next year already looks to be completed different from what everyone has expected for the past 4 years. I-bhangra and vtech threw down fantastic performances at srujan. Congrats CMU on second there!

and the fall of the vcu juggernaut, even if might be brief and not a full fall considering they still executed a very clean albeit boring performance, might spur some more teams to work through the summer and get more serious next year as they finally see more opportunity.

should be fun

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
sartajjudge said:
1. Bhangra de Mehfil: 2nd place
Where are you getting this information from? BDM only had one official placing, but AEG was only a few points behind NJ's win - an unofficial 2nd over VCU at BDM, validated by a variety of sources...

sartajjudge said:
With VCU's record at Blowout an already impressive one, (1st place three years in a row) its even harder for the judges to give a team another consecutive first place. There's obviously pressure to give someone else the first place prize for a change.
[SIZE=x-small][/SIZE]
[SIZE=x-small][/SIZE]
I don't think this make sense. Judges are subconsciously more inclined to give more-established teams the benefit of the doubt than newer teams. If a team has been consistently placing/winning competitions in the past few years, judges would be more inclined to unknowingly bump them up rather than disrupt the order of power. But such subconscious rational happens at a small level and I'm not saying this happened because personally I feel that VCU should have placed higher. But it's silly to think of judges as parents giving kids candy and making sure that one kid isn't getting too much. I don't think there's any pressure at all for judges, who are to evaluate the performance at hand, to look for another team to place just because the team at hand has placed enough in the last few years.

Kartik

burghwala said:
really disappointed with the lack of cleanliness in uva and cornell's performances. never seen top jodis make so many mistakes on what is the biggest competition of the year for most of the teams that competed.
Yea man it was unfortunate, I wish we hadn't had 3 competitions this semester so we could have focused more on Blowout instead of only 3 weeks after UBC. We made a whole plethora of changes after UBC and that resulted in our lack of cleanliness. This may sound bad, but at the end of the day we danced for the standing ovation rather than the points on the judges' score sheets. Don't think that we didn't bring it hard to Blowout though; our practice time went to incorporating a whole host of entertaining ideas rather than keeping it simple and clean. I appreciate the concern though, it was a tough spot to be in.

campy614

Kartik said:
This may sound bad, but at the end of the day we danced for the standing ovation rather than the points on the judges' score sheets. Don't think that we didn't bring it hard to Blowout though; our practice time went to incorporating a whole host of entertaining ideas rather than keeping it simple and clean.
I didn't get to see the videos, but I applaud the mentality here. It's easy to keep it simple and clean, but performing for an audience is about giving the audience what they want and putting on a show. Yeah, we're folk dancers... but we're entertainers as well.

Ideas didn't work out. So what? Win or lose, you tried your best. And from there, you just have fun and enjoy the weekend. You seem to be taking this gracefully, which is another thing I applaud.

Congrats to the placing teams!!

burghwala

ending gimmick was definetly best of the night karthik, for those that dont know they made an airplane (with "airplanes" playing) then it broke apart and indian cricket player came out and started going crazy in what i think was the only big mela of the night. fun way to round out the end of the comp

rajkaran

campy614 said:
Kartik said:
This may sound bad, but at the end of the day we danced for the standing ovation rather than the points on the judges' score sheets. Don't think that we didn't bring it hard to Blowout though; our practice time went to incorporating a whole host of entertaining ideas rather than keeping it simple and clean.
I didn't get to see the videos, but I applaud the mentality here. It's easy to keep it simple and clean, but performing for an audience is about giving the audience what they want and putting on a show. Yeah, we're folk dancers... but we're entertainers as well.

Ideas didn't work out. So what? Win or lose, you tried your best. And from there, you just have fun and enjoy the weekend. You seem to be taking this gracefully, which is another thing I applaud.

+1 & +1

jvirk

rajkaran said:
campy614 said:
Kartik said:

+1 & +1
kartik - what you said about putting on a great show and for the standing ovation - taking risks instead of a simple and clean set - BIG PROPS to you guys...i applaud that effort any day over a simple/clean set

cant wait to see what you guys bring next year! :)

indiaman5

going off what burghwala said, next year should be really exciting. just to do a very quick primer for next year:
drexel: losing their top 4 guys plus a couple girls i believe
vcu: core of their team is graduating as well
unc: returning the core of their team as said above
wolverine: returning majority of their team
uva: SLEEPER for next year, a bunch of their dancers are coming back
rutgers: some of the best girls on the circuit, but in need of guys
cmu: swi, the man himself, graduating </3

all in all next year looks to be really, really interesting