• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Bhangra dance-offs

taminder

Why is it that, in every bhangra dance-off nowadays, all anyone ever does is some sort of crazy spinning bedi followed by single dhamaal—with overly exaggerated shoulders—for the first 10 seconds, then some crazy spinning bethkan while clapping between their legs for the next 2 minutes to prove who the better dancer is? That, too, will be done while trying to get in the other dancer's face—to basically attack him/her—who, by this point, will have also joined in on the bethkan marathon.

I've noticed this at every bhangra afterparty/mixer I've been to in the past 2 yrs. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone even really enjoy watching this? Lol

hardeep_singh

because "bhangra dancers" these days take themselves too seriously. the kids who are overly aggressive in "dance battles" are also usually arrogant/cocky as if they have something to prove by showing off in front of a crowd. i personally don't see the point in trying to "win" a dance off, it's much better dancing in front of someone and picking up some of their moves while giving them a chance to learn some of your style. being goofy/chill > trying to be hyper aggressive(just comes off as insecure). also how about dance battles that allow for more than just angry patakay and spinning squats, maybe some luddi, maybe some jhummar, who knows maybe some malwai giddha too.

campy614

Sounds like an upgrade from some of the battles a few years back. I was never an aggressive battler - but I didn't like people all up in my grill. I remember certain battles I'd join the other dancer would just do pataka right in my face - to the point where I could like smell their breath or see every pore in his face - and then would do bethkan no spins. By the time the bethkan came I was so annoyed I'd walk away, or would stop caring.

lavesh

campy614 said:
Sounds like an upgrade from some of the battles a few years back. I was never an aggressive battler - but I didn't like people all up in my grill. I remember certain battles I'd join the other dancer would just do pataka right in my face - to the point where I could like smell their breath or see every pore in his face - and then would do bethkan no spins. By the time the bethkan came I was so annoyed I'd walk away, or would stop caring.
im going to do this to you the next time we meet up