• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Bhangra Empire at Elite 8

Cherag

I don't know if this has been posted already, but I found it online....enjoy

Moderator's note: Video removed as per team request.

Handa

redonk.. there so clean, they ease into there formations almost without notice
sick

Mike B

very clean, cool formations, great execution. i dont understand the choreo though. if you bother putting in jhummar/phumaniya etc, why not just go all the way and just do bhangra? i know im not saying anything new, it just makes me wonder that this choreo has nothing to do with ignorance but a conscious choice to dance this way. i honestly cant figure out why, as it wouldnt take away from all your creative formations.

that said, even though im not one of them, you guys have a lot of fans. why change if people like it i guess. clean set

Jessica

www.bigapplebhangra2011.com
can someone please post the song at 3:30? i've been searching for it ever since I watched this performance @ Elite 8

sc11

alll i gotta say is empire... keep doing what you guys do best.....don't change your style for no-one.....one of the most entertaining performances I have ever seen!

Handa

they do what makes them a fan favorite.. not confined to some of the traditional things makes them exciting to see for people..
that being said.. what i enjoy from them is there creativity.. maybe not so much there dancing

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Empire is an anachronism in 2010 (ive started including definition links after 'catharsis')... The formation changes are nice but the choreo is overly simplified and could have been choreod probably in their captain's sleep... I wish they would mix it up a lot more. I saw this live and seemed to remember a good amount of repeated segments from earlier dances, is that correct? Anyway, obviously a very well executed dance, but you're going to lose points in traditionality and artistic segments of the rubric.

HarmanSingh

Saleem said:
Empire is an anachronism in 2010 (ive started including definition links after 'catharsis')... The formation changes are nice but the choreo is overly simplified and could have been choreod probably in their captain's sleep... I wish they would mix it up a lot more. I saw this live and seemed to remember a good amount of repeated segments from earlier dances, is that correct? Anyway, obviously a very well executed dance, but you're going to lose points in traditionality and artistic segments of the rubric.
I agree. The choreo is VERY simple and you could say elementary. Being coordinated with choreo they use is a lot easier than being coordinated with what other teams use.

Bhangra is a dance- and Empire's dancing is not up to par with other teams. Yes formations matter, but the focus should be on actual dancing. They are almost robotic in the way they execute the routine..their is no flow, no fluidity to their moves..it is like every beat is counted and they perform based on memorization not the feel of the dance or music.

The truth is I had trouble even locating what folk dances they incorporated into the routine...all the moves look the same.

AmyDee

sc11 said:
alll i gotta say is empire... keep doing what you guys do best.....don't change your style for no-one.....one of the most entertaining performances I have ever seen!
+1 !
G`luck at Socal guysies!

Love

AmyDee said:
sc11 said:
+1 !
G`luck at Socal guysies!
SoCal is cancelled unfortunately, or atleast delayed until no planned date or something, and I believe empire had dropped from SoCal already?

I started to watch this vid but when the guy shooting the video started singing. I stopped. I guess ill just wait for GTV.

Gurbir23

clean formations, good gimmicks, good at what you guys, really good at what you guys do....but as a couple people have touched on, its much easier to be in unison when all you're required to do isa couple of hand motions and knee lifts. That being said, I actually saw the odd traditional move in there and they even had a somewhat traditional jhoomer section. It was like playing wheres waldo, except, waldo was a slickly hidden traditional bhangra move. In my opinion, you cannot be called an ELITE bhangra team unless you actually do BHANGRA.( this is my opnion, not meant to start another modern vs traditional debate). On that same note, your guys formations are sick and they do what they were meant to do, they please the crowd but formations alone isnt going to win compeitions like elite 8.

On a side note....the guy making the video really needs to stop talking, that got quite annoying..."omg i love this songgg...yayyyy"