• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Bhangra Idols, "Best of the Best" Placings

himynameis

1. Sgpd/ nachdi
2 abc
3. Pcbca
Best dressed: abc
Most entertaining: Pfa

How it should've went down

nb0913

live stream was so clutch. congrats to all the placing teams.

my personal placings would have been :

1st - NJ
2nd - PCBCA
3rd - tie b/w PFA and ABC

should be interesting to see judging sheets if they are posted. after having competed at idols last year, the judging is very detailed, and it'll definitely be confusing to sort through all sheets since there are at least 10 judges, but i think it should definitely be posted with the placings being somewhat questionable in my opinion.

on a side note, PFA girls were SICK as hell in my opinion..boston bhangra is about to be shocked.

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
Re: OFFICAIAL : IDOLS PLACINGS

[SIZE=small]9:32 AEG_FAUJ_kinnell: It would be really funny if SGPD and NJ tied for... 3rd. LOL

And while it was funny, I don't think it was really that justified. I don't think anyone had a clear-cut first, but teams definitely brought it.

From the placing teams/teams that could have placed:

SGPD - Clean, but routine was a variation of their Elite 8 and BAB set. While judges are suppose to base their judging on what it laid out in front of them, they've become a victim of everyone else trying to jack their swag and unfortunately it makes them seem more of the same, even though they've been leading the trend. Formations did seem a bit too random at points.

NJ - Cleaner than Elite 8, but the same haphazard flow. Stop-go gimmicks that seemed a bit too similar to stuff SGPD has done. Nonetheless, a lot of creativity and great execution, but the lack of flow and the lack of dancing detracted a lot. Amazing formations and some phenomenal stage presence.

BCC - Definitely the surprise of the evening. Clean and great x-factors in every segment. Definitely place worthy. Formations were entertaining as well.

ABC - Best vardiyan ever. They look nasty on stage and provide great stage presence. Dancers have improved and style has gotten much better. Their x-factors are still very reminiscent from last year's Idol set, which is why I don't think they should have placed so highly. But I guess you guys really did do it. "WE DID IT".

PCBCA - Clean, but not PCBCA clean. Mistakes were made. Good choreography, but teams really brought it this time in the creativity, so they kinda seemed bland in comparison. But I applaud them for their more "originality" effort.

Also: youbhangraidiot, PM me if there's any validity to your claim in the chat room. If not, I'll just chalk it up to another "haters gonna hate" comment. [/SIZE]

Kartik

Very surprised at placings, but the show was mad fun to watch! Props to the committee for making this so accessible to all of us from across the country.

Must say, really enjoyed watching BCC, those guys were legit!

sc11

Congrats to All the placing teams, great comp.

And now I can say that I dont agree with the placings....and yea i said PLACINGS.......Bulldog and Idols.......

Hate to say it.....but last time we will all see NJ and SGPD out in BC................

jdeol

Brief Mini Review

Duniya - Performance was okay. You guys went 8 but look better with 12. Mix was good.

NJ - Killed it. Choro was sick I thought this was one of the best performaces of the night. Could have been cleaner.

SPAC - I liked your guys set. Mix was good. Big differnce from BC.s Best. Good energy.

BCC - SICKKK SET. Mix, choreo was great. Engergy was there. Well deserved placing.

SFBC - I like it alot better when you guys go 12 never felt the same, what happened to your other 4 dancers? Mix was great. Little drummer boy Rajan was sick.

PFA - HUGE improvment from BC''s Best. I liked the set. You guys have a bright future keep practicing and good luck at Boston!

ABC - You guys arre finally CHAMPS. MIX was best of the night. Sick gimmicks including the mirror one from Bash 08. Energy was off the charts. Watching it live was just amazing. Hope you guys go to Elite 8.

SGPD - Good set. But to much similar to the previos sets, and energy wasn't as high as it usually is. Other than that it was a job well done.

My placings - 1ST ABC
2ND NJ
3RD BCC
Final thoughts - I know people are complaining about the placings, but you guys must remember that there is a judge for each and every single category. So it's pretty much as accurate as can get. Sucks BK couldn't perform, but Raginder was sick. I'am uploading vids onto my youtube dholi15

Tochinder5000

I think almost everybody was surprised at the placings but idols is extremly technical and they can probably provide numbers supporting there placings.

virkenator

Deg Teg Fateh
faizan said:
my full video review tomorrow...

i for one demand transparent judging on this one, and want to see these score sheets...

congrats to all the placing teams, and abc for finally beating sgpd...this one will shock the circuit hard...
22 i like ur gif iimage ;D...could you send me the link to this video

mathesonwhat

BUSY - gettin' rich, doing bhangra on the side
i thought pcbca deserved to place, they had one nasty ass set, but its alright, congrats to all the teams! VERY COMPETITIVE!!!!

Danny

Congrats to everyone! everyone brought it hard and those were some solid routines

random question: what were those boxes they were given everyone? my screen res of the livefeed was horrible they looked like a bunch of George Foreman grills to me -__-

Danny

and shout outs to Toronto...when you guys clumped up and chanted "TDOT! TDOT! TDOT!" together was some G sh*t

sgrewal30

Jdosanjh said:
Idols has so many different judges
one judge for every category.. so I dont think it was "rigged"
teams like NJ & SGPD would get 10/10's for creativity
but maybe lower in other categories. Just a thought :)
^ agreed

All of those routines were first place worthy to be honest. Had it been any other comp against other teams any of these teams could have taken first easily and most likely will at the next few comps.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ABC. Two placings in two weeks. You guys really went all out and left your hearts on the stage. You could see improvements just from the span of bulldog to tonight. They seriously deserved this placing. I went from liking this team to becoming an actual fan (yes there is a difference). It was nice to see you guys doing more bhangra over gimmicks and i think you guys are headed in the right direction.

And BCC really were the underdogs who came out shining. Clean and real bhangra. One of my favorite routines of the entire show.

I liked how SPGD kept their prison-locked up theme going with the song, and the huge jump in the beginning, the suits and the cuffs. Not just a crap ton of gimmicks that have nothing to do with anything every 10 seconds like most teams these days. Just another amazing performance. Can't expect anything less. And I'm sure there will be more again.

NJ and SGPD its bitter sweet, wonder how they are going to decide who gets the trophy...

Please everyone please I'm honestly begging at this point. Yes SGPD can be considered to be the best team ever or one of the best or whatever you wanna call it... PLEASE... stop doing what they do. Stop watching them at big apple or idols or tdot, masti wherever and then copying them. I understand that bhangra has its limitations and you can only do so much creative stuff to keep the audiences/judges attention but there is a difference between everyone opening their saaps the same, and everyone doing magic tricks because sgpd made their khunde float. Or just taking their saap segment and doing it with khunde or katos or a chimta... Just go backk to doing BHANGRA. Watch a live team if you have to but please... put away the giant cardboard cars, and the glow in the dark anything, and the giant banners with your names written on them, ok we know your teams name... and do BHANGRA. Please. I'm asking nicely, stop it. BCC did bhangra... surrey folk did bhangra... shan e did bhangra... these teams are doing BHANGRA they're not listening for the word "morni" and making one out of paper mache... Driving a pretend car is not a bhangra move. youre not doing any panga with a notorious jatt in your damn rail gaddi.

Nks

Congrats to abc,Bcc,nj and sgpd, you all were good :) n goodjob to eveeyone else tht competed:)

PartyJatt

I agree with most of what is being said.

But, just dancing isn't enough these days. They have live categories for a reason. Music categories always needs that "Wow" factor. SGPD is doing bhangra, but in a way that will entertain the crowd. In Bhangra, the only two things that really matter: the audience and yourself. If your having fun dancing and the audience is enjoying it, then congratulations. In the 10 -11 years bhangra has been around here in North America, alot has been done and re-done over and over again. Creativity is what sets you aside from the rest.

I'm just going to talk about the only girl team competing.. ( I think it was Duniya All Star Girls) You girls are talented. Your set had WAY TOO MUCH going on. It looked like bits and pieces mashed up into one set. Rail Gaddi idea, I get it but it wasn't executed well. To be honest, it could of been SO MUCH BETTER. This goes back to creativity. Creativity is what sets you aside from the rest. Please, I do not what to see another set that looks EXACTLY like SGPD.

sgrewal30

PartyJatt said:
I agree with most of what is being said.

But, just dancing isn't enough these days. They have live categories for a reason. Music categories always needs that "Wow" factor. SGPD is doing bhangra, but in a way that will entertain the crowd. In Bhangra, the only two things that really matter: the audience and yourself. If your having fun dancing and the audience is enjoying it, then congratulations. In the 10 -11 years bhangra has been around here in North America, alot has been done and re-done over and over again. Creativity is what sets you aside from the rest.

I'm just going to talk about the only girl team competing.. ( I think it was Duniya All Star Girls) You girls are talented. Your set had WAY TOO MUCH going on. It looked like bits and pieces mashed up into one set. Rail Gaddi idea, I get it but it wasn't executed well. To be honest, it could of been SO MUCH BETTER. This goes back to creativity. Creativity is what sets you aside from the rest. Please, I do not what to see another set that looks EXACTLY like SGPD.
pfa was all girls too i think

Saab

Today is a gift
Couple of things:

1. The familiarity between the sets of Nachdi and SGPD killed both of their chances at placing higher. When faced with such similarity, it gets difficult to place similar teams when other teams did such a great job. If there was more of a clear contrast, especially with heightened awareness on the circuit of previous performances(which also shouldnt be counted), there might have been a change in the placings.

2. Im glad this happened. Sure it could have gone every other way, but having an underdog story at a competition, and having hard work rewarded between teams that were close is great.

3. In regards to judging, I would like to see sheets and how the overall score is constructed. I remember reading that there are judges for every angle, and judges for individual things, so it would be nice to see how the final composite score extracted from the raw score is calculated. It is a different judging method, and a potential avenue to go too, but I think it would benefit the community greatly if the one example(correct me if im wrong) of this were to post their method. Might help formulate a better overall judging program.

4. There were more sponsors than people at the show it seems.

5. Kids with giant balloon bats = FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

6. Live team at the end = clutch. Although kohinoor wasnt as on point as bulldog, it was still a great contrast.

7. Whoever pans these cameras...calm down. The going back and forth sometimes ruined things.

8. Anyone else think that, if your going to have multiple cameras, do it something similar to the GTV way where you put a separate camera in the corner of the feed? Constant switching took away from stuff.

9. I have never seen a crowd go as nuts as Idols. Congrats.

Ill try to post reviews/critiques when I can.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
i agree with what kinnell and sharon said up there. SGPD has had their shine stolen from them, courtesy of swagjackers, especially for their saap sections. what was really entertaining at elite last year is old and tired now. the onus rests on both parties' shoulders, though. SGPD needs to step away from their old styles and innovate more, i guess (just saying it doesn't give justice to how difficult it is), and other teams need to start coming up with their own shit. if it doesn't stop, SGPD will start doing what empire does--almost no video releases, ever. and i don't think anyone wants that.