• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Bhangra in the Heights 10 - February 18th, 2017

ishaankolluri

Columbia Bhangra is hosting the tenth anniversary of Bhangra in the Heights, a showcase consisting of bhangra teams from the tri-state area. It will take place on February 18th, 2017, at the Roone Arledge Auditorium in Lerner Hall on the Columbia University campus. Doors open at 7:15 and the show starts at 7:45! Tickets will be $7 up until the day of the show, and $10 on the day of.

Lineup:
Columbia Bhangra
Columbia Bhangra Alumni
Yale Jashan Bhangra
Rutgers University Bhangra
Anakh E Gabroo
Husky Bhangra
Harvard College Bhangra

Facebook Link | Ticket Link | Official Mixtape
Address: 2920 Broadway Avenue, New York, NY 10027 (115th Street & Broadway)

Vijay

hoooly shyt i remember when this went down for the first time. congrats on keeping the event alive and strong.

smehta313

This used to be one of the most fun exhibitions I ever got to perform at. Glad to see it's grown and bringing in more teams.

ishaankolluri

Thanks to all the teams who came! Hosting a showcase in New York City is always an interesting experience. We hope everyone enjoyed themselves. Regarding performance videos, we will be making them available to the teams who attending in the next couple of days.

Also, we'd love to hear some feedback from teams or audience members who attended the event. We are always striving to improve the quality of our show!

Howie Magz

AEG had an awesome time at Bhangra in the Heights this year. We have not been back to BITH in 4 years and was glad to come back after such a long hiatus. We would like to thank the committee for having us this year and also for our liason Sid Puri for being such a wonderful and accommodating individual. The show was sold out which is always a pleasure since majority of competition these days struggle to put audience in the seats. Tech time was fairly smooth and the dressing rooms were very spacious and perfect for us to tie paghs, chaadra, and etc. My suggestion for the competition is to turn this exhibition into a competition since you guys have the right formula (tshirts, snacks, water, liason, techtime, and afterparty). The only thing that would be missing is a mixer venue (which shouldn't be too difficult) and a hotel proponent which is difficult in NYC especially with the high prices for hotels. The after party was very crowded, but all of AEG was able to get in on time and we would like to thank Aashna Singh for letting us performers in with a minimal wait time. My only issue with the after party is the drink ticket rule since we weren't allowed to purchase drinks directly from the bar, we had to purchase drink tickets prior or at the after party venue for the bar to serve us. Columbia Bhangra I want to tip my hat off to you guys for a wonderful experience and the hospitality we received.

I would like to thank Ishaan and Naina for providing us a wonderful experience and would recommend teams from around the tri-state area to come out and perform at this event.

We like to thank all of the individuals and families who came out to watch AEG perform this past Saturday. We always enjoy performing in front of our hometown.

RShah17

Husky Bhangra also had a great time at Heights! We really appreciate the help of our liaison, Akul! Thanks to the Heights board for being accommodating and letting us bring our whole team of 20 to the show. I agree that the event could be made into a competition - it has a lot of potential. It would've been awesome to have a mixer or other opportunity to interact with other teams besides the after party. The showcase ran really smoothly with regards to tech time and the actual showcase.

rajkaran

My suggestion for the competition is to turn this exhibition into a competition since you guys have the right formula (tshirts, snacks, water, liason, techtime, and afterparty). The only thing that would be missing is a mixer venue (which shouldn't be too difficult) and a hotel proponent which is difficult in NYC especially with the high prices for hotels.
As a cuBhangra Alum, I am so proud of the team for putting on a great show and keeping the tradition alive despite the many discouraging setbacks in prior years (fist fights, campus vandalism, etc...). I am also super upset I could not attend lol.

During its inception, we took pride in the fact BHeights was not a competition. It was a platform to perform on a stage without the worry of judges and prioritize having fun on stage with your team. I don't think the circuit needs yet another competition, does it? Maybe we've succeeded this many years because it hasn't been a competition? And yes, the thought of converting it into a comp came up multiple times in earlier years but, at the time, would have been a logistical nightmare (the nearest hotel is an expensive piece of crap that I'm sure is run by crack addicts lol).

sahrawat

Thank you so much to everyone who has posted feedback from their experiences at the show last weekend (definitely reach out if you have more). We're glad to see people enjoyed themselves! It's also great to see that that those of you who took part in the showcase at some point in the last 10 years still remember Bhangra in the Heights as being a good time.

With this being the 10th anniversary, Columbia Bhangra definitely tried to make this year's show bigger and better. It's good to know that some of those changes led to an improved experience, and the success of this year's expansion certainly makes us eager to keep scaling Bhangra in the Heights up. As Rajkaran said, Bheights has historically been a non-competitive show for a variety of reasons we've stood by over the years. That being said, we definitely see the demand for more competitions in the circuit today, so whether or not "scaling up" means switching to a competition format remains to be seen. The priority is still, as it always has been, spreading awareness of bhangra and giving our teams and audience a good experience!