• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Bhangra schools/teams in Bombay?

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
Does anyone know of any bhangra schools or teams in Bombay? I'm sure there are plenty of Bollywood-Bhangra types but I don't know of any that are purely proper bhangra. Thanks!
 

lavesh

Member
Messages
421
no dheerja, there is NOTHING in bombay lol...believe me, ive looked...you cant even find khunde, saaps, none of that...you would think a city like bombay would have at least some of the most basic bhangra instruments, but you will be hard pressed to find ANYTHING...i have looked in every freakin musical shop in the city, went to dance supply shops that provide stuff for bollywood movies, u name it...i really doubt there is a bhangra academy there :(
 

Govind

Member
Messages
364
nothing in bombay...although there is a khalsa school near Dadar/Mahalakshmi but honestly the sardars who go to school there barely know punjabi.

however there are really good musicians in bombay! check out the music scene in Blue Frog...lots of cool concerts...

what are you doing in bombay dheerja? that's my town :)~
 

siddyp

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
Messages
1,270
you may not find dancing props or teams, but you'll be able to find popular musical instruments such as a tumbi, and you'll be able to find a tailor who can make simple bhangra vardiyaan
 

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
Thanks guys! It's not for me, a producer contacted me asking and I figured this was the best place to find out. I'll tell her to at the very least try Delhi, since I don't think going to punjab is feasible for them. Do you guys know of anything kn Delhi?
 

justAguy

^chilllan w/ AMY GOODMAN in my pic wooo im famous^
Messages
284
Absolutely nothing bhangra related in Bummbayyy ... except Daler Mehndi fanatics. I'm from Bombay I searched pretty thoroughly ... At my sisters wedding I had to dance w a bamboo stick , saap brought from Amritsar ...

My cousin teaches Sarina Jain aerobics classes and she is revered as a bhangra revolutionary... So tough luck w Bombay =[
 

Varun00

Member
Messages
314
dheerja said:
Thanks guys! It's not for me, a producer contacted me asking and I figured this was the best place to find out. I'll tell her to at the very least try Delhi, since I don't think going to punjab is feasible for them. Do you guys know of anything kn Delhi?
http://www.indianmusicalinstruments.com/

http://choreographerdelhi.com/bhangra-dance.html

http://www.bollywoodnaach.com/dance_classes_delhi.html

have contacts to bhangra teams:

http://www.indianfolkdances.com/bhangra-folk-dances-of-punjab.html

http://www.royaldancetroupe.com/
 
Top