• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Bhangra Showdown 2019 controversy

UKBhangra2019

Controversial Bhangra Showdown 2019 placings:

1. Kings (2nd)
  2. Aston (1st)
  3. Leicester
Videos below.

Crowd was shocked at the placings.

Last edited:

Prabhzy

I mean my personal predictions after watching this on the night was

1. Aston
  2. Kings
  3. Imperial (Tbh I am more surprised that Leicester placed 3rd and not Imperial).
In all honesty I was a bit surprised that Aston didnt win but lets face it there were 5 judges and it could have been a split vote or the scoring could have been very very close. Different judges have different views on what swayed it for them on the night, but labelling this as a 'controversy'?, probably a bit too far in my opinion. I also was surprised 1 judge did not come out during the announcements- no idea why that would have been the case.

But the quality of dancing was immense that night. Happy for Hertfordshire ( First TBS) and Loughborough who have improved leaps and bounds. Congratulations to all the teams for their hard work.

UKBhangra2019

One of the judges who dances for AJ placed Aston 4th. Aston's captain Ishan is from GCC - people talking about bias due to the rivalry between those 2 eternal teams. All other judges had Aston/Kings 1st and 2nd.

Murali Palathinkara

After watching the videos, I am honestly okay with this decision. It reminds me of Cal Bhangra vs. UNC at Blowout 2017. Both teams were competing at extremely high levels and while one team might have been more hype, the other team may have elicited a response from the judges/audience that left more of an impact. Overall, amazing performances from all the teams but I'd have to agree with Prabhzy that this doesn't seem like a 'controversy', just a tough decision that the judges had to make.

Honest UK Bhangra

This is actually ridiculous that there is a thread about this. Why can't everyone accept and respect the decision made by the judges and give each team the respect they deserve?

I don't know why it's even being brought up what happened in the judges room. It's funny that you think AJ captain placing Aston 4th has some bias related to it, when none of Kings dancers are even in AJ? And these were the same judges that put Aston first last year?

If anyone was showing a bit of bias, it was this GCC judge who didn't even want to go on stage when it was decided Kings were the winners. I bet if it was Aston, he'd be the first one to volunteer to give them the trophy. Furthermore, this judge put Imperial 6th when all the judges had put Imperial 3rd, which unfortunately (or perhaps deliberately?) brought down their average so that they couldn't place.

Both sets were great and like Murali said, they bring a different appeal with them. If judges felt a team deserved to win again then they would win just like how GCC has won twice, Ishan has won best male twice, UoB/Imperial have consistently placed or won pre 2016. It's a decision that needs to be respected, rather than having bad vibes surrounding it. Some people in this scene just can't accept it when teams or dancers are considered better than them and sadly, this is just making the scene a more political and unfriendly place to be honest.

Prabhzy

This is actually ridiculous that there is a thread about this. Why can't everyone accept and respect the decision made by the judges and give each team the respect they deserve?

I don't know why it's even being brought up what happened in the judges room. It's funny that you think AJ captain placing Aston 4th has some bias related to it, when none of Kings dancers are even in AJ? And these were the same judges that put Aston first last year?

If anyone was showing a bit of bias, it was this GCC judge who didn't even want to go on stage when it was decided Kings were the winners. I bet if it was Aston, he'd be the first one to volunteer to give them the trophy. Furthermore, this judge put Imperial 6th when all the judges had put Imperial 3rd, which unfortunately (or perhaps deliberately?) brought down their average so that they couldn't place.

Both sets were great and like Murali said, they bring a different appeal with them. If judges felt a team deserved to win again then they would win just like how GCC has won twice, Ishan has won best male twice, UoB/Imperial have consistently placed or won pre 2016. It's a decision that needs to be respected, rather than having bad vibes surrounding it. Some people in this scene just can't accept it when teams or dancers are considered better than them and sadly, this is just making the scene a more political and unfriendly place to be honest.
I agree with your statement that making this into a controversy is not needed and the judges decision needs to be respected. Esp since the top two teams were predicted these positions by almost everyone. However claiming things that supposedly happened in the judges meeting is counter productive. OP is saying the AJ judge was biased and you're saying the GCC judge was biased. Things are not adding up are they? The whole thing could be explained if TBS committee would release the scoring sheets so people could see exactly how judges were scoring teams and all this discussion will not be needed. However in the UK these things done privately and the only people who know exactly is going on are the judges and team captains.

From both sets you can clearly that Kings take a lot of influence from Vasda Punjab ( same dancers/mixers) and Aston sets are influenced by GCC. So these are two different styles which need to be appreciated and ultimately the best two teams on the night placed 1 and 2.

hardeep_singh

So is publicly being salty about placings/not getting into comps just gonna be a weekly thing now?
well, people were complaining that there wasn't enough fire in the circuit, i'd say this is a step in the right direction.
saleem probably appreciates the increased traffic whenever a controversial post lights up, be sure to have ad-blocker and javascript blocker installed.

Saab

Today is a gift
I amend my previous statement about the need for a fyre festival-esque documentary. This needs to be a show at this point. Real husbands/housewives of bhangra. Music by jatt fm/SoundCloud and broadcast on comedy Central.

yomamajama

I amend my previous statement about the need for a fyre festival-esque documentary. This needs to be a show at this point. Real husbands/housewives of bhangra. Music by jatt fm/SoundCloud and broadcast on comedy Central.
YES! GOD PLEASE MAKE THIS OCCUR