• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Boston Bhangra VCU Bhangra 2009 Video.

Vick

Re: VCU Bhangra @ Boston 2009

HarmanToor said:
Vick said:
Savik Singh Walia said:
cali teams whos dance "bollywood bhangra" is gettin boring now.they dont come out with new shit anymore. they use the same idea n just change sum guys around to make it luk new..
And how exactly is traditional bhangra evolving? A traditional set is the same shit over and over again as well buddy...
thats not the point.. traditional bhangra actually looks good, bollywood bhangra is just f*cking ridiculous.. wailing your arm around during jugni like your jacking off is not bhangra... holding the kunda from the middle of the kunda is not bhangra...
Lister mister sexythugginez2nv,

Love your side profile shot by the way, you might find a chick on here... But you need to keep the "jacking off" talk on the down low... You havent even seen empires performance yet... A lot of you are just putting on blinders and blasting the fuck outta Empire because they win everywhere they go... Khalsa Junction didn't exactly do bhangra either, but I bet you were sucking their cock when they were doing their thang... Enough with the hate mr thuggenstine-check-out-my-side-profile-IM-a-hero man....

ban3rg

Savik Singh Walia said:
oh man.. the brand new formation were crazyy good.. i dnt no i still like the old VCU better..
9 of the 12 dancers that danced at Boston placed 1st with VCU last year at Fusion and Blowout. This is (by majority) the same team yaknow? more or less....obv, the routine is completely new, not sure if u meant that. oh bruah!

Vick

Arjun said:
Vick said:
Savik Singh Walia said:
cali teams whos dance "bollywood bhangra" is gettin boring now.they dont come out with new shit anymore. they use the same idea n just change sum guys around to make it luk new..
And how exactly is traditional bhangra evolving? A traditional set is the same shit over and over again as well buddy...
nah nah Vick here's where ur wrong. traditional bhangra is definitely evolving. Look at TBT (The Bhangra Team) or SIAC (Surrey India Arts Club) from a couple years back (or PPA for that matter) and then look at current "traditional" teams such as Nachde Shokeen or even Gabroo Shokeen, BABC, HEERAY, etc...they are able to get creative with the traditional stuff. Yes, to the average spectator "it's all same, it's all boring" but it has indeed been evolving and changing. Even the occasional video posted on youtube from India is somehow more creative/replete with new trends than the last (example: DAVIET). Phumnia is probly the easiest example to draw upon. Jhummar and prop segments have evolved a lot too man. Everything is evolving man.

And for record I don't agree with Savik, there are changes/evolution in the "bollywood bhangra" too as you call it, but I will call it more modern bhangra. There's changes going on there too, its not just recycling, but I am not the right person to present you with examples of that since I don't "follow" modern moves as closely.
I agree there are some changes... But with traditional bhangra you are pretty handicapped in what you can/cant do... To people like me who could care less about traditional, it does look more or less all the same... As far as what TBT did compared to what teams do today, most teams today dont even consider TBT to be traditional... You can only add so much "swag" to your routine and still keep it traditional... But yea I agree, there has been some change, but nothing really significant...

nb0913

seemed like a different style kind of from last year..but still sickkk

can someone just post all the songs?

Kanvar

Why So Jaloose?
love the 1st half of the khunda segment....jhoomer beginning is alittle similar to lyallpur, but loved the move with the girls arm on the guys shoulder....helllla folk.

achhokar

First off give you props i give you guys props for maintaining the same skill level as a team in respect to last years team.... its hard to do being a college team

Positive's

+ you guys did bhangra LOL
+ showed grace in jhoomer which a lot of teams dont do
+ formations were a plus but some could have been cleaner
+ actual danced while your MJ gimmick was going on (didnt rely on it to win the competition)
+ executed the moves how they are suppose to be executed HUGE PLUS

Negatives

- Maybe work on some of the girls..but there still badass =)
- I personally like the mix overall but some songs seemed a bit miss placed

Jessie-V:OT

nice set no dought, but still i think the old vcu was better as of now and i hope as time progresses this crew get's more legit just like the old one and i know it will happen.

the thing is Micheal jordan was the best to ever play the game, and kobe bryant is good as MJ and is always compared to him and is one of the best player, but still we all miss MJ for some reason and i think that's the thing with this VCU team.

loved the performance, nice formations and jhummar was sickkkkkk, keep doing what ya doing and loved the folknesssssssssss bbruuaaa, g luck in the future guys and gals. :)

Pooja

I put the double o in cool.

Bhangra Critic said:
Pooja said:
Bhangra Critic said:
To start off id like to say that this is my opinion, and that if you dont agree with me its cool.

Alrite so ive read through this entire thread and been hearing this nonsense that VCU lost, cuz they were traditional at a modern competiton, for all you idiots out there, modern doesnt mean you make a three man pyramid in your set, or singling out one dancer in the middle of the routine or gimmick crap like that. This isnt the first time this has been talked about so lets clear things out. Modern, it means what it currently excepted
I lost you after this.

fOlK 4 lYfE.
LOL no offense but this is a perfect example of when i said ,idiots, and by the way if you guys stil dnt get it, modern is not acting or stunts, it a QUICK unique mmove that just gives the crowd to remeber you by, not 30 sec man prymaids, or a 12 seconds single for a single dancer.
Hmm...clearly you didn't understand my post. So that makes you the Bakra.

Nikhil said:
Critic, you gotta spell properly please lol...
This is what I was referring to. And the nDn talk was OBVS a joke...I am a folk fan.

Ashqe

actual danced while your MJ gimmick was going on (didnt rely on it to win the competition)
ABSOLUTE FUCKIN YES TO THIS. As much as Empire's MJ gimmick was sick, the actual team didn't do much of anything to add to that gimmick. I mean, sure the focus was on the MJ impersonator, but the way they did it made it feel to me like the whole rest of the team could've just gone off stage for that segment, they were adding that much to the gimmick.

But regardless, really good set. People have been saying that this hasn't been VCU's best set, but that's to be expected with such a great history. Major props to the team for still being able to place when a majority of the team is new. That def speaks to how well VCU trains their newbies.

Nikhil

Props to my girlies who had the flu and busted their ankles and shins but STYLL ripped that shit :D

Havish

Here is another view, front center as we like to call it...

Enjoy and for those who don't like... don't watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SkdDorip2k

terabaap

I think we can all agree on the fact that this competition was VERY competitive. If I had to speak from an almost purist perspective my placings would be...
1)VCU
2)RU/AEG
3)RU/AEG
AEG has seriously stepped up their game.

Gurvir

probably the first and last time i ever post in a debate about modern(w/e that may be) and traditional bhangra..theres no use lol

rsingh90

WOW. definetly a different VCU than i'm used to seeing, and i fuckin LOVED it. jhummar was SO graceful, and so in sync. everybody's legs were the same height, everybody's arms were the height, everyone was moving at the same speed. absolutely phenomenal. jhummar song was realllly good too. i'd never heard it before.
phumaniyaan was sick and use of props was definetly a pleasure to watch. love the new vardiyaan, definetly adds to the more folk sense of the performance. the MJ gimmick was a little out of place i think, but definetly didn't taint the performance to any large degree. some of the formations you guys hit were crazy, i got a little confused as to what was going on lol.
you guys looked like you were having a lot of fun on stage, rather than being all business/trying to bust out the best performance you possibly could, which made it look even better.

overall a great performance and definetly a pleasure to watch...once again, VCU comes through with another bomb ass performance. with some new dancers too ;D