• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

BTF is Upgrading

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the new BTF! Many of you have tried it out recently as I ran migration tests. All (280,000) posts have made the jump over to our new forum system. What are the main reasons we switched over?

- Log in with Facebook, and overall tighter Facebook integration. Turns out this whole social media thing isn't a fad.
- Fully mobile-friendly responsive site. I'm looking into ways to bring app support
- Better notifications and information structure
- Cool UX improvements like tagging people. @Basim for example
- Faster improvement cycle. The previous forum platform (SMF) was fading. This new one, while paid and not free, definitely has better developer support.

To Dos:
- I will be running update scripts so that old links to threads will redirect to their new URL destination
- I'll look into karma, which didn't make the jump.
- Auto-embed functionality for Soundcloud and others. Really soundcloud will tackle 99% of uses, tbh. (edit: this is done)

Let everyone know your feedback. Start contributing and discussing if you haven't before. BTF needs your voice.

Last edited:

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Awesome! Thanks for your all your hard work and effort on BTF, Saleem & Team! Please let us know if you need donations to support BTF financially.

ksanghavi

Is it just me or do links in old BTF posts only direct to the home page? I think this might be since the query or link parameters for the URLs are different with the upgrade.

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Is it just me or do links in old BTF posts only direct to the home page? I think this might be since the query or link parameters for the URLs are different with the upgrade.
I'm working on fixing this. The URLs are just like "thread.28123" they are like "main-bhangra-discussion/bhangra-blowout-registration-!!!" so I'm working on the script with some help from a xenforo expert.

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Also are timezones for posts off?
The importer didn't bring in users' timezones, so they were set to UTC/GMT. I've just updated all users to be in New York/EST time zone (sorry Cali...). If you want to change your personal time zone, you can go to profile > preferences.

New users are registered in their current timezone-- it was missing from the importer.

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
@Saleem , maybe i missed this but did the "media" search tab not carry over to this new platform?
It did not. Trends changed drastically: the media center was a collection of media files uploaded to BTF. Over time, like 95% of media now are linked soundclouds or other linked media. The media center became less functional (and was not an add-on I could find on the new platform).