• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

BTF Update open discussion- 4/30

karmjits

Bringing back vent would be huge, I'd definitely be down to put some money in to keep it running

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Swi, I'll sync up with you and Navkarn to see if we can just support it on BTF's existing servers, no contribution necessary.

EDIT: Shouldn't be an issue from compatibility, CPU usage, or bandwidth as far as I can tell. Let's give it a shot. I'll start an e-mail thread with you two to get the details on the best way to set it up, etc.

Lol can't wait to see how many random people will show up on vent haha !!

Can I get a roll callll. !!!! Lets do this !!!

PartyJatt

Vent is an amazing way to meet people from the circuit and the forum. I lost many nights of sleep due to Vent, I'm down to loose some more.

Just one thing, we need someone to monitor vent. I mentioned this to Saleem a while back with having a view of who's on vent somewhere on the site.

If vent does happen to come back, I'll see you all on there ;)

Navkarn

awesome to see so much love for vent after so long! a big thanks to saleem for taking real interest into this topic. ive been contacted by him along with swi and hope to get this bad boy up and running again!

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
I was actually meant to write that if we can host it on BTF's dedicated server, that would be best (no cost to anyone). Glad we have the available resources & it's a possibility.

Anyway, Saleem/Swi/Navkarn - if you need any additional help with setting it up (server side), don't hesitate to ask. I use vent in a few gaming communities and have gone through the entire process before.

Alongside what PartyJatt mentioned, it would be nice to have access to a few moderators that we can get a hold of quickly to take care of any issues. In other gaming communities that I'm involved with, we sometimes get people that purposely join for the purposes of trolling or simply trying to "crash" the ventrillo. While there is no fool proof way of preventing abusers from joining, IP banning usually seems to work best.

For those who don't know what vent is (yomamajama & others), you can check out this thread for a brief summary: http://bhangrateamsforum.com/discuss/off-topic/official-btf-ventrilo-info!

~ Basim :)

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Do any of you have experience with Vent vs Teamspeak vs Mumble? Is Vent still the best way to go ?

Basim

♥ BTF ♥
Staff member
Saleem said:
Do any of you have experience with Vent vs Teamspeak vs Mumble? Is Vent still the best way to go ?
I've used Vent & Teamspeak - haven't had a chance to use Mumble. Ventrilo is quite a stable program and there is a lot of support out of there (if needed). From what I read, Mumble has been releasing builds as they work on stability issues that come about and there is still many features missing.

I like Ventrilo for the ease of use and least amount of lag. Another big advantage is that many people already have it installed on their PC's - especially if they do any sort of PC gaming, since it dominates in that market (it was the first & original VOIP tool).

My suggestion would be to stick with Ventrilo since the majority of us that previously used Vent have it already & know how to use it.

~ Basim :)

Navkarn

Saleem said:
i have experience with all three. in a nutshell ... mumble > vent > teamspeak. however for the purpose we'd be using this for, ventrilo is by far the easiest to use and the codec is still good. mumble triumphs in voice quality and delay, but is preferred amongst the professional gaming community primarily for games such as WoW. in my opinion, ventrilo is an already familiar platform for many and easier to get used to for newer users.

PartyJatt

I have experience with Ventrilo. Used to be a mod back in the day when I was big on PC gaming.

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all there's a bit of confusion because the thread says Wednesday but title says 4/30 (yesterday). I've also got a conflict today, which makes it difficult. Could we set this please for Thursday May 2nd @ 9pm ET / 6pm PT ? I'll also shoot an e-mail to many of those who responded

Here is a Google Calendar event that also contains the link to the Google Hangout

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/26e9119c5a032e7311ba46b5a8243ed6408f70f3

yraparla

SwizzeeMusic.com
Reminder for this, starts in 90 min. Good chance to discuss technical details, features, and wish lists for BTF!