• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Buckeye Bhangra @ Bhangra Blowout 24 [3rd Place]

Nimit

Hello BTF,

Here is our video from Blowout 24! Just want to say thanks to the committee for another great competition and for making this one of our favorite weekends of the year for a third year in a row! Want to give Cal and UNC big shoutouts for their placings. Always great to compete against rivals and we thoroughly enjoyed your sets!

From my own perspective, I want to say that I am extremely proud of our team this year. It was a great year for us in terms of competitive success and something that we have been working hard at for a long time now. I want to thank past and present members of the team for their dedication, hard work, and commitment to building a name for Buckeye Bhangra. Also a big shoutout to Karam, Eric, and Priyanka for their leadership and perseverance through a long season. Our goal for this team was to make a co-ed bhangra team that didn't fit the mold of other co-ed teams in years past. We wanted to build a reputation of creativity, uniqueness, and entertainment and I think I can comfortably say we were able to accomplish that.

On a personal note, I will be stepping down as captain of this team. I want to say thank you to everyone that has helped me and our team over the past three years. Thank you to all former captains, teammates, friends, and family who have supported this team and good luck to all future iterations of Buckeye Bhangra!

Now without further ado, here is our vid. Enjoy!

Howie Magz

You guys have really impressed me this past year with the level of dancing and set creation. Buckeye has become a threat at competitions when other teams have seen y'all in the lineup. The placings you guys have had this year (1st @ AKD, 1st @ Nachde Cleveland, 3rd @ Big Ten, and 3rd @ Blowout) have been at reputable competitions against some of the best teams in the U.S circuit. I believe you guys know what you have done well, but I will delve more into what I think should be improved on.

1. Cleanness vs. Energy- You guys had tremendous amounts of energy in all of your routines and it really shows especially with your top two jodis (Karam, Nimit, Sheena, and the last girl i am not too sure what her name is). However, the rest of your team is not exactly on par with those two jodis. Yes they keep up at times, but consistency appears to be a little bit of an issue. Also the energy I feel like over takes the cleaniness in y'all dancing. You have sacrificed cleaniness for energy this year which may work in your favor or work against y'all in your favor. The most difficult thing is to find that medium between being clean and being energetic. Buckeye is more on the energetic side and you guys lose your form at times. I think you guys definitely need to make your dancing a bit more clean and effortless. It seems very forced at times.

2. Dancing Wide vs. Dancing Tall- I like it that you guys really get your legs up when doing dhamaal and even downs, but I think that dancing a bit wider would make you guys look a lot better. I feel like you guys dance in a very tall fashion (which seems to be the trend these days) I challenge you guys to get lower when doing taps (meaning ass more to the ground. Maybe this is a personal preference, but something I liked to stress to my dancers. Completely up to you on whether this wants to be implemented or not.

These are the biggest things I see with Buckeye and I hope to see y'all do damage next year. @Nimit don't step down man I want to see you do even better than this next year ;)

sahab

What I like about the set is that I can see the time and effort put in to it. It looks like every move is carefully choreographed and thought of. I love when I see that in a team. Whoever takes over after you should appreciate and follow that thought process you have put in place.

In regards to cleanliness, I see the biggest issues is in arm placement. Specifically during the kanye west portion of the set. Dancers bring up their arms at different times and have different placements. It's complex choreo, so I expect arms to be slightly off. However if there is a higher level of cleanliness, then it makes the segment and choreo pop more. There were other portions of the set that had the same issue.

Congrats on the season!

ericsingh3

Attaching the Mix below!
Thanks to all for the compliments on the mix!
S/O to Dj HsD for doing a great job with the segments and making changes as we needed to match choreography and Dj Baaj for making a memorable dhamaal segment!

Here is our mix from bhangra blowout:

Nikhilesh

I loved your performance! These are my thoughts about the performance. Take them with a grain of salt :)

Things I liked:
1) Nakhra: Your guys' nakhra is one of the best on the circuit. Better than almost any college team I've ever seen
2) Energy: Your energy is amazing.
3) Stage Presence: You guys have insane swag!
4) Creativity: I thought some parts of your set/choreo were super creative (like the piano jhoomer concept and the dhang segment)

Things for improvement:
1) Cleanliness: Arm angles could have been better and some of your dancers often lost form. In addition, even though your energy levels are great, one of the drawbacks is that you guys sometimes loose form.
2) Jhoomar execution: . When you guys do jhoomar each count feels very rushed. You need to take the time to fill each count if that makes sense. One obvious way to see this is through modeh. Rather than doing a violent modeh pop that lasts like 1/3 of the count (idk what to call it lol) you need to spread it more throughout.

Also, shoutout to the sher. That was insane.