• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Carolina Bhangra Squad at Notorious Bhangra II- Balcony + GTV

Horlicks Bournvita

Re: Carolina Bhangra Squad at Notorious Bhangra II

I'm a really big fan of this set. Kuntal and Komil, yall did a great job putting together a routine that we really aren't used to seeing out of coed teams.

Formations were awesome, especially during the saap segment; you guys made use of every inch of the stage and transitions were so fluid and did not seem forced at all. The choreo was very refreshing, I could definitely see some JJesque elements, but it also did stick to the North Carolina style that we all love. I wanted to give props to all the dancers for picking everything up in such a short amount of time, especially since the style was different from anything I've danced to or seen out of UNC teams in recent memory. Special shoutout to Ekta and Bianca, you girls absolutely murdered this performance, esp right after jhummar. I found myself watching both of you for the majority of the video.

The mix was sick, GSimz and Klasikhz killed it, definitely think thats part of the reason yall looked like you were having so much fun on stage. Dhamaal into jugni was my absolute favorite, and the intro was fire.

Anyways, congrats on placing, the hard work really paid off, and I hope this isn't the last time CBS competes ;)

Rahul Dhanda

Sickk gimmicks!! Good job guys. My fav part by far was the khundey. The flame was on point during tech times, too bad it didn't hit as well during the comp but still you guys pulled it off. And those trampoline trips to walmart came in handy! haha.
Shoutout to my boy Kuntal - sick dancer and to the rest of CBS as well; many great personalities on the team.
Really enjoyed your guys company this past weekend. Keep at it and hope to see CBS continue on at other comps.

P.S - I legit loved your mix. Oldies ftw.

VD

Personally, this was my favorite co-ed sets since the VCU days. Komil and Kuntal absolutely destroyed it. That was a great jodi. Congrats on 3rd guys!

nathan.e

Kuntal, you asked me in person for critiques and I couldn't come up with very many, but after watching it again more closely I have some more things to say.

First of all, I really liked the style and quality of dancing you guys brought out. With this many veterans on the same stage, it's to be expected, but nonetheless I really enjoyed watching individual dancers. I liked the choreo, the formations, jhummar and jugni, and overall was a big fan of this set. It broke away from the style that's more characteristic of coed teams of late, which is something I appreciated a lot. I don't know exactly what I mean by this and I don't think it should be read into too much, but this set had the feel of an all guys set but was executed really well as a coed performance, especially with the level of girl dancers you guys have. Also, I've seen too many overly cutesy jhummar segments on coed teams, so it was nice to see you guys', it was definitely one of my favorite parts. I liked the little mela segment before jhummar, but feel a little bad for the guy who had to be a rock ;)

Now for critiques. While I really liked the style and level of dancing, it was very evident that you guys sacrificed a certain amount of uniformity, especially in timing of moves, spins, bhetka, etc. Probably just because of my experience with my own team, I've come to appreciate uniformity and togetherness, but there is definitely a balance to be achieved between individual style and nakhra and precise uniformity. I felt you guys could've been a little more on the uniformity side, but honestly this was probably mainly because of one of the other things I noticed: formations/lines were a little messy. It wasn't too big of a deal, but it was something I noticed throughout. At times, energy seemed kind of low. I also noticed that moves weren't always being executed fully, kind of going hand in hand with the energy. For example, knees occasionally not being lifted very high, bent elbows, not completely finishing steps..
Gimmicks were okay, but definitely could've been executed better or highlighted more. It is what it is, though. I think my least favorite segment was khunde, can't really put my finger on why, I just wasn't diggin it. And mela was definitely a bit of a letdown after such an awesome performance, the energy wasn't there and it seemed kind of hastily put together.

Overall, though, it was a really awesome set. Maybe I should've put the critiques first so it didn't end so negatively, hah. This was a totally deserved placing, even among all the great perfomances of the night. There were definitely 5 or 6 teams who I could've seen placing, and I'm really happy you guys were among the placing teams.

Finally, it was awesome hanging with you guys after the show and then again with some of you (Kuntal, Akash, Bianca) the next day in Berkeley. I hope you guys enjoyed what the bay had to offer and if I'm ever out in NC I'll be hitting you up!

hardeep_singh

wowwwwwwwwww what a dirty mix, please upload it, whoever decided to use a kartar ramla song is my freakin hero! love the use of old skool songs, choreo flowed really well with the mix.
everyone was on point, sumeet in my opinion is the most energetic dancer to come out of nc, dude goes wild in every performance. good to see bianca killing it in a girls vardi for a change.

J Wong

I promised Kuntal a thorough and thoughtful critique so here it goes:

Overall I liked the flow of the set and I think the transitions worked quite well. The gimmicks are my ideal type of gimmick (not overtly noticeable (minus the middle mela) but just enough that it doesn't detract from the rest of the set. Additionally, all the dancers looked generally happy which is always great. I liked the blend of folk-traditional elements in the choreography with hints of modern (reminds me of a JJ set in that regard).

No Like (sort of)

While I can definitely see that a lot of work was done to fix competing styles, it still is a bit noticeable (a little UNC, JJ, and KPGD to be more specific). Additionally, Sumeet was wild'n out a little too much at times and it caused me to notice him more as opposed to watching the entire team. Furthermore, at times during the set when the team drops, people were off which could always be cleaned in the future.

Individual Shout outs

Kuntal - Great team, perhaps I will take you up on your offer next time to dance if CBS does another comp.
Ekta - I've told you before that you are good. Nuff said.

Komil and Megha - Great jodi, like really great. My favorite form and style (as you know) and I really enjoyed watching you two.

Pooja - Killed it yo.
Akash - Solid performance.

Sumeet - Control yo, but otherwise I enjoyed watching you. Were you singing lol?
Bianca - Murked it.

Priya and Raj - Great jodi. (note to priya, see what I did there, I put your name first as opposed to Raj's)

Yeshel and Neema - Good job.

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
This was awesome!! Everyone had swag, which really complimented your nice choreo even more. Formations also complemented the choreo really well. Nice flow of set. I really enjoyed the whole performance! Congrats on your placing!

PartyJatt

The Girl in blue has to work on her jumps and baithkhe's.

It would have been awesome if the khunde fire gimmick went on for longer.

SanyaBhaviVohra

Congratulations CBS! It was nice to see an independent co-ed team pull off such an entertaining set. I agree with many of Nathan's points, but I know you all are capable and will achieve that uniformity. The strengths of certain dancers really stood out, but in a way I enjoyed that because it kept me watching every person as well as the entire team. Shoutout to Megha, your form is amazing and I wish I had talked to you longer! I had an amazing time kicking it with the few who stayed back (Kuntal, Bianca, Akash, Priya you should've stayed longer!) over the weekend. Hope to see you all again soon!!

hsdeol

What a great performance! congrats on the placing, i'm sure you guys enjoyed the celebration afterwards! Some of the highlights include:
  • Came out hot in the intro, loved the choreo and energy was on point
  • Purple Jodi had great energy! big shoulders and wide arms, always appreciate watching this style
  • Khunde Flares were sick!
  • Green jodi had sick shoulders and nakhra
  • I loved the mela transition into jhummar, this was creative and extremely well performed. everyone sold their role, and smoothly transitioned into the following steps
  • Komil killed jhummar! Holy smokes! throughout the performance you were exciting to watch- you showed great footwork and amazing stage presence. well done
  • Great choreo and energy throughout the set. Execution was on point as well! i see you kuntal
  • No doubt one of my favorite performances, and the mix was amazing
Its a lot of fun watching dancers leave it all on the stage as a team. I hope you guys continue performing

edit:formatting issue-if it doesntwork this time...sorry guys

Ajay.H

Rahul Dhanda said:
Sickk gimmicks!! Good job guys. My fav part by far was the khundey. The flame was on point during tech times, too bad it didn't hit as well during the comp but still you guys pulled it off. And those trampoline trips to walmart came in handy! haha.
Shoutout to my boy Kuntal - sick dancer and to the rest of CBS as well; many great personalities on the team.
Really enjoyed your guys company this past weekend. Keep at it and hope to see CBS continue on at other comps.

P.S - I legit loved your mix. Oldies ftw.

Anyone willing to post this tech time video? I enjoy watching them and also want to see this khundey flame.

DamanSingh

KarnSingh said:
Damn that was straight up fire. I love this style of bhangra ... Whoever was the mastermind behind this is brilliant.

Anyone have a link to the song at 4:37?
If you're referring to the song at 4:37 in the first video, it's the boli Bhangra off Resham Chinna's album Izhaar.

4:37 in the GTV video is Sunehere Akharan by Miss Pooja and Amar Arshi.

They're both in the media center.

DamanSingh

KarnSingh said:
Thank you Daman paji .. I was looking for the Miss Pooja one. Do you know of any download links to it or know where I can find it. I haven't been able to find it.

No prob bro, you can find the song on this thread. Abhi uploaded it
http://bhangrateamsforum.com/discuss/post-mixes-and-video-links/miss-pooja's-future/

I think I was a little misleading with the spelling. If you enter "sunehri akkhar" on the BTF media center search, you can also find it that way.

Cherag

Great job keeping Bhangra alive. I feel like NC has needed this for a long time, like I've told people from former teams from the same area, your dancers have potential, now make a set to attest to your ability. This, was a great start, I have an array of likes/dislikes from this performance, and this is what I got from first watch of the video, so here it goes.

Overall the mix to me was finished very well, when it came to bass + melodies + songs, very well compiled. On the same note, for myself the mix was a bit oldschool, and in technical terms it didn't really get too high on the BPM scale lol. If it is something folk, I don't like seeing slower, Bhangra I like to see a push in how strong simpler moves can be executed if that is the goal. And the fact that moves are executed slower, it entails every dancer to be the same, so that all dancers look identical, so it can add or deter from cleanliness.

While this is an amalgamation of different dancers from all over NC, with different dances, come many different styles. This will only get better as you all perform more. And are dancing like on individual captain or head choreographer. Key in on that dancers every tendacy, whether it's transitions from pataka to another move, and where his/her hands go, or even where their arms are during all four counts of tharri jhoomer and how they are stepping. These nitbit things make the difference for a team like this.

I understand and get the transitions between formations here, :48 -:56, but overall I still do feel there is a lack of intricacy when it comes to moves and potential of that instrumental in the mix to be something more WOW, right up until the lyrics kick, and you all do the traditional in and out formation.I feel like that time is just a bit wasted and can be better used.

Sumeet dahgggg, calm down moves mayne, if everyone isn't kicking into betaken don't do it in the intro for Malaang Baniye, it also thru you of when you had to go around your jodi. Also at 1:59 when, the guys Khunda line comes up thru the girls circle, Komil looked a bit odd coming up, in regards to the formation.

As I believe Karthik said, chaal gimmick sloppy and messy, and didn't fit well. I'd say scratch it, do a creative transition into the Khunda Chall, do it for however so many beats work and exit, nice and simple but effective IF everyone gets LOW. khunda drop off very UNCish but, I loved how well it flowed and how all Jodis came back together in the formation. Mix for Disk Ch Kali sounded great there, but make sure everyone does that first move the exact same way if you're doing lines, so that it doesn't look sloppy.

Flat-footed faslaan make me cringe! Make sure everyone is on the balls of their feet. Jhoomer Mela was dope, reminded me of NYPD from VPD, theirs was dope and I thought this one was great. Make sure it doesn't bleed into Jhoomer for too long, because then it could look like too many different things are going on for, a longer period than necessary.

Komil, you have a great command on jhoomer, very detail oriented to each count and you keep showing it on your face, very Shivchand-esque ;) .

Throughout the set Akash you don't seem to have as much flow as the other dancers do make sure you work on this for the future, make sure YOU are controlling the set, don't let the SET control you. Overall all dancers have to get lower on jugni, standing looks very weak. Throughout the set also make sure dancers knees, are wide while dance on single dhamaal legs or any touchdowns, and on the same regard make sure the 90 degrees are there in Punjab legs and the knees and your bodily posture are maintain tight and upright. Sumeet again control your head on intro of kartar yamla, segment, and girl in green, I believe it's Bianca, you're and amazing and phenomenal dancer, and this is amongst girls and guys in NC, one of the best. The one thing though I think you could improve on is your nakhra. I have danced with girls who have a classical background, and I may be wrong, but their expressions were very similar to yours, something that is hard to break, but if you're this good a dancer I think you could kick nakhras ass and fix it a bit :) .

I thought when you all did the Pump Tharri move in modha maarke, the shoulders actually were amazing. That segment was great.

Ending trampoline gimmick was a great idea (if that's what it was), but didn't hit as strongly as it could have.

Choreo for the ending segment to me seemed good for this sort of set and the style you all are trying to go for but the execution needs to be present. This probably has to deal more with stamina though which is something that should be definitely worked on, and from the looks of it will be work on it will also make your mela that much better.

Great set once again and great job for putting this together Kuntal, just my two cents for CBS, thought you guys did a hell of a job repping NC, bhangra, and coed teams, reminded me a lot of DCMPAA, and they're a great team as well. Keep working hard and aspire to do great things for the art form. 8)

- Cherag