• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Costume Tips & Tricks

anuj1

Anuj Choudhary
Also guys do any of you have a video of you self-tying a pagh (front-turla and side-turla) and including the tucking in of the turla? I know there are many videos of others tying & tucking it on someone else but I haven't come across any solo effort attempts. Cheers.

sunnysingh93

The ladies on our team are having problems with their salwars.

To use elastic or naale?..Which are more secure so that their salwars don't fall off during performance

blondesi17

Where is a good place to get necklaces and phuman? Is anyone selling theirs-- or does everyone just order them from India? How much of a difference do earrings and tikkas make for girls?

Mr. Mankiran

I have a good tip, stop starching turle 4 feet long. About a foot, maybe even less is all that really needs to be starched. It makes tying the pagh 10x easier and will probably end up looking 100x better.

Also, make sure the turla dries straight => when it's hanging, make sure the end isn't curving because then it will not dry straight.

If you do those things, making the turla should be much easier.

arvindsandhu

Hello everyone! UIUC I-Bhangra is selling costumes! The costumes are in good condition and are genuinely beautiful.

Costume set includes:
- 6 male vardi's (2 yellow, 2 blue, 2 pink) with pagh and pathi, chadhar, kameej and vest
- 6 female vardi's (2 yellow, 2 blue, 2 pink) with chunni, salvar, kameej and vest
We also have phuman and kenthe (necklaces) for every costume.

Price is negotiable.

Please email me at arvindxsandhu@gmail.com if you're interested!

Attachments

Mr. Mankiran

Hello everyone! UIUC I-Bhangra is selling costumes! The costumes are in good condition and are genuinely beautiful.

Costume set includes:
- 6 male vardi's (2 yellow, 2 blue, 2 pink) with pagh and pathi, chadhar, kameej and vest
- 6 female vardi's (2 yellow, 2 blue, 2 pink) with chunni, salvar, kameej and vest
We also have phuman and kenthe (necklaces) for every costume.

Price is negotiable.

Please email me at arvindxsandhu@gmail.com if you're interested!
Great tip!

Hello! We're brand new to this website (this is our first post!) and we're loving it! We are Colorado Bhangra Team -- a new statewide team that's starting to just get off the ground and we need your help! We are currently in dire need of costumes so if anyone has any costumes they don't use anymore and are willing to donate, please contact us at coloradobhangrateam@gmail.com. Since we're so new, we don't have enough funding yet but with your help and amazing costumes, we want to represent our amazing Bhangra dance at the forefront of Colorado's diversity statewide. We're so glad to be a part of this forum and we can't wait to hear from you all!

bparikh

Hi I've seen a few different chunni tutorial videos, but I'm looking for maybe a better version. I've seen the ASD one, but we don't have square chunnis, I've also seen another video which was fairly helpful in getting the gist of pinning a chunni (SPD girls), but didn't explain how to cleanly pin the rest of the chunni in the back after pinning it to the shoulders. I personally really don't like just bunching up and pinning because of how vague of an explanation that is, and I want all of my team to pin chunnis exactly the same. One team whose chunnis I think look beautiful and uniform are Shaan Mutiyaaran Di's. So really what I'm asking for is can anyone either explain to me how to cleanly pin the rest of the chunni in the back or send a video my way that isn't one of the top two options that come up on youtube? Thanks!

mehabakshi

@bparikh On Cal we tie ours exactly the same up through about 2:25 in the SPD video (pinning the four corners to the top of the vest). For the last step, we basically make a bunch of pleats in the middle of the chunni and put a pin through those, and then pin that whole bunch to the vest (any of our comp videos since bruin 2016 will show an example of how they look). Hopefully this is somewhat helpful!! I can probably get around to making a video within the week if you need some more detail on what to do :)

bparikh

@bparikh On Cal we tie ours exactly the same up through about 2:25 in the SPD video (pinning the four corners to the top of the vest). For the last step, we basically make a bunch of pleats in the middle of the chunni and put a pin through those, and then pin that whole bunch to the vest (any of our comp videos since bruin 2016 will show an example of how they look). Hopefully this is somewhat helpful!! I can probably get around to making a video within the week if you need some more detail on what to do :)
I'll give that a shot and see if I can figure it out, thanks for the help! A video would also be nice, but as comp/performance season is wrapping up for us (and many other teams), I don't see any need to rush with that. Thanks again!