• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

DAGGA ON DHOL HELPP

Hardeep

UoB Bhangra & Gabru Chel Chabileh [GCC]
Hey,

Are there many different types of dagga skin avaiable for the dhol? Because with treble skins, there is REMO ABASSADOR, DIPLOMAT, G.B.C Etc, however, are there really any different dagga skins. Btw, im talkin bout goat skin.

I have a goat skin dagga side on my dhol, which is absolutely terrible. Is it worth buying a new one or redoing the dagga side by soaking it in water etc.

Because I haven't really noticed any different brands for the dagga side; maybe they are all the same, simply the way u just tighten it.

Thanks.

shergabroo

Hardeep said:
Hey,

Are there many different types of dagga skin avaiable for the dhol? Because with treble skins, there is REMO ABASSADOR, DIPLOMAT, G.B.C Etc, however, are there really any different dagga skins. Btw, im talkin bout goat skin.

I have a goat skin dagga side on my dhol, which is absolutely terrible. Is it worth buying a new one or redoing the dagga side by soaking it in water etc.

Because I haven't really noticed any different brands for the dagga side; maybe they are all the same, simply the way u just tighten it.

Thanks.
In what way is your goat skin terrible? if it's either too high pitched or too low pitched, you should just play around with the tuning rings until you get that proper ::BOOM:: sound. If the sound is too high pitched no matter what you do, you should first loosen the skin all the way (bring the tuning rings all the way up) and then soak a towel with warm water and wipe the goat skin with it (this helps loosen the goat skin). Give your goat skin like five minutes to dry and then tighten the dagga until you get the sound you want. Hope this helped :)

LearnTheDhol

Study the Dhol in NYC!
Goat skin heads are usually handmade. The best ones are the ones that unbleached, but they're almost impossible to find in North America.

Shergabroo is right-- let us know what makes the head terrible. In general, a bass-side head would have to either ripped or completely played out (like, have had it on for 10 years, played the hell out of it, and it's lost all its tone).

Otherwise, it's probably just a matter of maintenance-- making sure it's seated correctly on the drum, that the tension's even around the skin, that it's not dried out, etc.

Jaskaran Kora

I also need a goat skin.

My cousin in India sent me a Kaali Taali dhol from Bittu Ustaad. Size is 12 with the dagga tuned by nuts/bolts and the tilli side with rope. Problem is that the goat skin dried up and ripped because I was supposed to put kyo on it but I got lazy. :(
The side wasn't evenly tuned as well, so that probably added more stress to it. The dagga skin sounded great and I don't think any shop around NYC can supply me with a quality chamra. I don't trust any online company and no professional dholi around here has a that small of a size skin that he wants to give up. Please help.

LearnTheDhol

Study the Dhol in NYC!
Jaskaran Kora said:
I also need a goat skin.

My cousin in India sent me a Kaali Taali dhol from Bittu Ustaad. Size is 12 with the dagga tuned by nuts/bolts and the tilli side with rope. Problem is that the goat skin dried up and ripped because I was supposed to put kyo on it but I got lazy. :(
The side wasn't evenly tuned as well, so that probably added more stress to it. The dagga skin sounded great and I don't think any shop around NYC can supply me with a quality chamra. I don't trust any online company and no professional dholi around here has a that small of a size skin that he wants to give up. Please help.

you can most likely repair it, if the rip's not too bad... or, you can make a new head (or i can make one for you). shoot me an email-- info @ learnthedhol . com

superdholi1994

Shivjot Singh Rangi (Shiv)
:( ugh, my dagga side had a buzz when i play the dhol, but my tilli sounds fine to me, how come my dagga side had a buzz? i adjusted ropes and nothing seemed to be working!! i need your help, please?

dagga - roped
tilli(GBC) - nuts and bolts

Dholify

hi everyone,

I bought new dhol and played on couple of gig's . The dagga side cracked from the kinaar. This is a brand new dhol and still has goat hair on it .

what tape should I use it?

Any suggestions.?