• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Dancers in Atlanta Georgia

Tuckerrrr

Ashveer said:
Tuckerrrr said:
harjap_singh said:
LOL. no offense but i would not call that bhangra
don't take this the wrong way...i'm excited that there r 2 new teams coming up in my home city....but after watching the above videos i gotta ask...r either of u gonna actually do bhangra or r u continuing the plague of non-bhangra bhangra teams in atlanta? i would LOVE to see and an independent folk team in atlanta
@Harjap, that's like saying: "No offense, but you're a n*gger." Apologizing before being rude isn't constructive.

Similarly @Tucker I feel your pain man, but a post like this isn't constructive, esp when one of the guys built a team in one academic year as a freshman. Things take time, and constructive criticism.
i understand what ur saying man, but most atlanta teams just don't wanna learn folk. i'm not trying to knock either of the teams, i dno anything about either of them other than the 2 videos posted above. i'm just hoping the new teams and the new generations of the old teams are open to learn unlike most of the teams from the past (that was my experience when i was dancing close by at UGA). was just giving my opinion and encouragement to change the direction of the conception of bhangra in atlanta. if it came off rude i apologize cuz that's not what i meant it to be.

i wish the new teams the best of luck and that folkness be upon them :)

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
BDR Official Fan said:

How can I join this team? That is the most epic tryout video I have ever seen - from the choice of dancing attire, to the choice of location (next to a pool!), to the way the video started focused on the reflection of the dancers in the water but slyly drifted up, to the way the dude is playing tabla on his thighs and the fact that the chick is wearing socks (and WHITE socks too!) to the fact that I'm so jealous of the amazing weather in the video. Also, the unexpected matrix move. This is just too awesome.

Psant

UNC Bhangra Elite Alum, Brandeis Bhangra
Please open up your saaps; it's painful to watch.

Ashveer

Psant said:
I don't know we expect new teams to join the community with such negativity. No offense, I dare you to look at UNC Elite in their first competitive year. And for some years after actually.

"If you open up your saaps wider, the effect will be better on stage. Its pretty difficult to master but most teams out there these days do it that way."

I put 'these days' because back in the day when saaps were just introduced to the scene, opening them up all the way wasn't folk (Jagte Raho - Teki Main Jhooth Boliya - Mohd Rafi - S Balbir at 1:02)

Arjun Barua

Ashveer is right. The sapp does not need to be extended much. Its primary purpose is an instrument, so playing on beat is the main focus. As far as extension goes, it doesn't matter how much you open the sapp, as long as it is consistent throughout the team. However your team decides to play it, just look lively while doing so!

sapg21

btf is so harsh/destructive...im glad it wasn't like this when i was first developing as a dancer

Jeeti

Sapan said:
btf is so harsh/destructive...im glad it wasn't like this when i was first developing as a dancer
There are only a few that ruin it for everyone...and to those being absolutely rude and ridiculous to this new team, EVERYONE HAS TO START SOMEWHERE. As someone mentioned, look at some of the teams now versus how they started out. Have you ever seen an SGPD video from back in the day when they were just starting? They have come a long way to become such a dominant team... through a considerable amount of time and effort..look where they are now...its square one for this team so instead of just blowing it off..either say something constructive or don't say anything at all.

To this new team, I would suggest you use BTF as much as possible as a resource to try and get a better idea of what the bhangra scene is nowadays versus what it used to be. In my opinion, from the tryout video..I would say that everything looks a bit dated from the choreography to the song selection and its easy to do that being how quickly the bhangra scene changes from year to year. Keep working at it, ignore some of the destructive posts, and do not hesitate to contact individual members with questions or for input. There are many on this forum willing to help in any way possible.

Psant

Ashveer said:
Psant said:
I don't know we expect new teams to join the community with such negativity. No offense, I dare you to look at UNC Elite in their first competitive year. And for some years after actually.

"If you open up your saaps wider, the effect will be better on stage. Its pretty difficult to master but most teams out there these days do it that way."

I put 'these days' because back in the day when saaps were just introduced to the scene, opening them up all the way wasn't folk (Jagte Raho - Teki Main Jhooth Boliya - Mohd Rafi - S Balbir at 1:02)

Fair point. Perhaps I'm just used to watching a majority of the teams use extension, so seeing the lack of it felt a little awkward in my eyes. To each his own.

I wasn't intending on being negative, but maybe a little harsh on the delivery.

Psant

BRRUAH! said:
Ashveer is right. The sapp does not need to be extended much. Its primary purpose is an instrument, so playing on beat is the main focus. As far as extension goes, it doesn't matter how much you open the sapp, as long as it is consistent throughout the team. However your team decides to play it, just look lively while doing so!

+1
Completely agree with this statement.

Sue Sylvester

kinnell
Jeeti said:
In my opinion, from the tryout video..I would say that everything looks a bit dated from the choreography to the song selection and its easy to do that being how quickly the bhangra scene changes from year to year.
But Jeeti, how is this constructive to a team who has chosen a style of dancing and has picked their favorite dance songs? It's kinda hypocritical to tell people to be completely constructive but then tell them that you think that their choreography/song selection/style is dated and not in tune with what the rest of the circuit is doing. They're doing what they love and telling them that you think that everything that they've done so far is archaic isn't going to help them in anyway. Just saying...

And honestly, dancing by a pool is situational and really funny. And trust me, I've made some laughable videos myself. But if you're gonna completely give up if people make fun of your combovers and broomsticks, then the only person losing out is yourself. No one else. The dancers and the teams that really improve year after year and thrive are the ones that take in the good AND the bad and persevere amidst the hate. In my opinion, if you give up just because your coach or the community isn't holding your hand/patting your back when walking you through every step of the process, then you weren't cut out for this game.