• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Desi Dhamaka Updates

Kush

Active Member
Messages
1,401
Saleem, I completely believe you. I was just commenting based on what i've seen here. Def don't take anything personal.

And jasmeet, the hair is extra spikey... tz, you can pick which ever location you'd like to imagine :)
 

Hans

New Member
Messages
93
Vick said:
Sulman, Hans and Saleem probably worked their balls off to get some of the "top tier" teams to apply, and when the teams were denied entry, I'm pretty sure that pissed off those three because their hard work went down the shit hole...
Well I appreciate the confidence, but to clarify, I did not work my balls off to get anyone to apply. It's not really the job of a judge to attract teams to a competition. In fact, the competition is still a good time away, so up until this point I wasn't really required to put in any effort at all except to say "Yes," and my balls are very much intact.

Desi Dhamaka said:
Sulman was looking for a huge competition with the biggest teams. Saleem and Hans also I believe after talking to Sulman had the same idea.
This is actually not an accurate representation of my feelings. It doesn't really matter to me who disagreed with whom about what vision. I had no idea which teams were applying when I agreed to judge this competition. In fact, being a new competition out of Albany, I assumed that there would not be any big names and was surprised when I learned that some recognizable teams actually had applied. When I learned they wouldn't be accepted, it was basically back to square one in my mind, which is exactly where I was when I agreed to judge in the first place.

As I stated in my earlier post, my reason for leaving was because the impression I got from all the organizers of this competition was that no matter what decisions were being made, they were being made unprofessionally. As a team captain and an audience member, I've attended many unorganized competitions, and I'd just rather avoid that frustration in my life at this point. It's true that my only contact was Sulman, but the fact that the only organizer who had made any effort to contact me was the registration chair was sort of damning in itself.

I'm not attacking anybody personally, just explaining my reasoning. Like I said before, I hope for the organizers' and the competing teams' sakes that my impression is wrong, and that everyone has a good experience come competition time.
 

Chidiya

New Member
Messages
338
It's quite refreshing to see some new talent at a comp, it seems as if it's been the same teams everywhere. You have to understand that the people that go to these competitions have no idea that theres a little 'bhangra world' out there that exists. They don't really care for whose who, hell I'd be surprised if they knew who NJ, VCU, or Sher were. Frankly speaking they're there for a good show, so go out there and give them one!
 

nirajthaker

New Member
Messages
47
Kush I'll admit that you could have a point, because if this competition is trying to give the newer teams a chance to grow. I believe that this is vital in spreading bhangra. However, in claiming that teams can't grow if they have to compete against teams like VCU or any team with a name, I'd have to disagree. In fact I think teams grow better if they compete with teams like this.
You yourself competed against VCU twice, if you were to win in either of those competitions only because no established teams were there, would you be satisfied?... Truthfully, and this is not meant to be offensive to any one in any manner, but if the rookie teams were allowed to win at competitions against other rookie teams, its not benefiting any of the teams there. Because these teams won't be able to watch, compare, and/or learn from an established team. I competed in both of those comps with you, and I admit that after watching teams like VCU, Sher, Davis, so on and so forth, I learned a great deal of bhangra, not that I know everything but I sure know more than I did before I got to see them live. I think most of this is because a competition is more than just a show, for the teams, its an entire weekend where teams mingle and learn from one an another, and who better to learn from and mingle with at a competition as a new team than an established team like Sher or VCU.
In short, I would say that if a competitions goal is to help newer teams grow they should pick more new teams, but still maybe one to three established teams.
 

Desi Dhamaka

Desi Dhamaka, Bhangra Allstars, Fusion Faceoff...
Messages
233
Hey guys I want to take the time to thank everyone for their comments, advice, etc. Its been 1 week of this. And it has been a learning experience. Anyhow I do want to say everyone has an opinion about this and Im glad everyone did voice it. I hope I do have your support or atleast your blessing. Like I said before I apologize to any team that did not make it into the competition. This by no means should be taken as a rejection. As I said every team has a chance. So please apply in the future. I will say that I do believe that there was a lack of communication. And I will go ahead as promoter of the event take full responsibility for that. Please bear with us as we work thru these kinks. But I think now we are on our way to a great show. You can all email me at desidhamakany@yahoo.com if u have any comments, advice, dislikes, etc. I am open to all your suggestions. Alls I ask is that you allow the time to be able to demonstrate a successful show. Saleem I want to specially thank you for ur comments, and suggestions. Believe me I really do appreciate everything that you said. Though my actions may not always show it. Thank you all.

Anil Prasad
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
Saleem said:
Kush/Vick,

There's more to the story than VCU selection.

I've e-mailed with Anil since departing from the competition and I wish him luck with the show.

-Saleem
And apparently, there's more to the shadyness than just from Anil's side. I will post more once information is deemed to be at least 99% true.
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
shouldn't one question be asked though...

would vcu even go to this competition had they got in? hmmm.....
 

gdholi7

Member
Messages
271
Jasmeet said:
shouldn't one question be asked though...

would vcu even go to this competition had they got in? hmmm.....

i doubt they will now, you got some teams who will never be like vcu or near their level that got in ie boston bhangra,& gator bhangra, just my 2 cents, Anil how much did you get paid to not pick vcu and who paid you? and anil i doubt any LEGIT team will apply next year if they do they know they wont get accepted because you wanna give the other teams a fair chance....once again my 2 cents
 

Desi Dhamaka

Desi Dhamaka, Bhangra Allstars, Fusion Faceoff...
Messages
233
Hey Gagan,

You are entitled to your opinion. But as far as someone paying..NO ONE PAID ME. So lets not start rumors. But seriously guys we have gone over the topic for a week now. Can we just let this go and move on. I understand everyones thinking of the competition being shady. And believe me as a promoter thats something you dont want. Again I apologize if any team is offended, that is not our intent. But I do understand everyone reason for questioning these things.

Also Gagan I wouldnt say that any team will never be at the level of another team, as you said. Lets not put any team down here. Remember you guys are all doing the same thing. And experienced teams should be looked as role models, and mentors for new and upcoming teams.
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Saleem said:
Kush/Vick,

There's more to the story than VCU selection.

I've e-mailed with Anil since departing from the competition and I wish him luck with the show.

-Saleem
I know, but I'm sure that's a part of it... It sucks though, I would have love to see you guys somehow screw up the judging and see what the reaction would be like on here... I wonder what people would be saying when one of our "own" screws shit up... hahaha...
 

Chidiya

New Member
Messages
338
Gagan{DRP} said:
Anil how much did you get paid to not pick vcu and who paid you?
so just because a top team didn't get in he was paid off? nice one. this is a great way to start shit
 

gdholi7

Member
Messages
271
Gabar Singh said:
Gagan{DRP} said:
Anil how much did you get paid to not pick vcu and who paid you?
so just because a top team didn't get in he was paid off? nice one. this is a great way to start shit

why didnt vcu get in then? must be either personal reasons or something, wat ever though good luck to the teams
 

Desi Dhamaka

Desi Dhamaka, Bhangra Allstars, Fusion Faceoff...
Messages
233
Look I have no ties to any teams that made it in..and no ties to any team that applied..There is nothing personal at all about this. I have a lot of respect for VCU. Now I have even more for them after seeing how people are offended that they are not in the competition. Thats alot of respect everyone has for them. So no I wasnt paid off. I think all the post explain my reasons. There were alot of teams that applied. And though they are not VCU. We had to accept and not accept teams. Its a very hard thing for us and the teams. Its never easy. But lets not make it more than that...Thats all.
 

Tuckerrrr

Member
Messages
321
hey guys, i'm starting a new competition. i want all teams to apply; it will be great. please send us ur tryout videos and registration. we will be selecting the worst 12 teams based on the tryout videos. it will be an amazing show, so please get your tickets before we sell out!

haha jk

:)


but foreal, good luck with ur competition
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Tuckerrrr said:
hey guys, i'm starting a new competition. i want all teams to apply; it will be great. please send us ur tryout videos and registration. we will be selecting the worst 12 teams based on the tryout videos. it will be an amazing show, so please get your tickets before we sell out!

haha jk

:)
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA..... JATT, he's kidding... dont get too happy...
 

Chidiya

New Member
Messages
338
Gagan{DRP} said:
Gabar Singh said:
Gagan{DRP} said:
Anil how much did you get paid to not pick vcu and who paid you?
so just because a top team didn't get in he was paid off? nice one. this is a great way to start shit

why didnt vcu get in then? must be either personal reasons or something, wat ever though good luck to the teams
teams cant always get into a comp no matter how good they are..give other teams a shot. If we had the same teams going at it..where's the fun in that? how are other teams suppose to get that stage experience?
 
Top