• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Desi Dhamaka Updates

Desi Dhamaka

Desi Dhamaka, Bhangra Allstars, Fusion Faceoff...
Messages
233
I know there maybe people who want to know who applied. I am willing to release that info. Please see below:

Anakh E Gabroo
Anakh Punjab Di
AVA Girls
Bankian Naaran
Binghamton Bhangra
Boston Bhangra
CMU Chak De Bhangra
DCBC Girls
ECU Muqabla
Gator Bhangra
Lalkaare Sheran De (DCMPAA)
Lehigh University Bhangra
Nachde Shokeen Mutiara
Natya Academy?s Gajjde Gabroo
NC State Bhangra
Northeastern Bhangra
Rochester Bhangra
Siena College Bhangra
SMD Bhangra Club
Union College Bhangra
UVa di Shaan
VCU Bhangra
GMU Bhangra
Virsa
NYC Pandemonium
 

Desi Dhamaka

Desi Dhamaka, Bhangra Allstars, Fusion Faceoff...
Messages
233
yeah they are great teams. I have not had the privileage to see them live. Hopefully will be able to in the future.
 

Jason

New Member
Messages
303
even if youre going "to serve as a platform for the mid level and rookie teams" you should have still included VCU ...i understand that newer teams get less of a chance at competing on "bigger" stages but still going up against a team like VCU makes other teams step up their game. For example the masti lineup for line n music was sick and i know teams that competed there had to step it up a notch..and even for DDA teams are gna bring it harder because of teams like NJ and VCU in the lineup..

but i do understand what you guys are trying to promote and the lineup has no real powerhouse team except for AEG and maybe PANJ so its fair and everyone has a shot.

Just my 2 cents

...but yeah wish you all the best with your comp and gluck to all the competing teams!
 

Desi Dhamaka

Desi Dhamaka, Bhangra Allstars, Fusion Faceoff...
Messages
233
Jason I appreciate ur honest comments. U know if say Panj had applied next year.. I would probably go with VCU. If there was a situation that it came to both of them. And the reason would be because Panj competed this year. This is a hypothetical situation by the way. I want each year for our show to give chances to all new teams. There will be repeating teams on the show. But that is after we give a chance to all teams. And thats what we want. Everyone to have their chance. And for us to be able to host a chance for everyone. I hope that makes sense.

Again there is no denying that VCU is an amazing team. And I hope they will apply next year. There are a lot of great teams that did apply. And hopefully they will apply again next year. We want the experienced teams to be able to teach the younger teams. And maybe even the younger teams to teach something new to the experienced teams. Our stage should be used to promote more people to come out and join bhangra teams regardless or race, color, or sex. And also to educate all spectators, participants, etc. Even more than the prizes we want all the teams to just have fun and build memories.
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Sulman, Hans and Saleem probably worked their balls off to get some of the "top tier" teams to apply, and when the teams were denied entry, I'm pretty sure that pissed off those three because their hard work went down the shit hole... Ofcourse I could be totally wrong, but I would love to know why these three left... there has to be something more than what we are seeing on these threads... VCU wasnt accepted, I mean damn, this is VCU we are talking about, the class of the bhangra world...
 

Desi Dhamaka

Desi Dhamaka, Bhangra Allstars, Fusion Faceoff...
Messages
233
Hi Vick,
In response to your question. Everything that I have stated above is exactly the reason why me and Sulman didnt see eye to eye. Sulman was looking for a huge competition with the biggest teams. Saleem and Hans also I believe after talking to Sulman had the same idea. But from the beginning I was looking for a competition as I have stated numerous times throughout this post. As I said These 3 have worked hard especially Sulman. But I think that what I said from the beginning should have told to all the teams. That we are looking for a nice mix when it comes to teams new comers, moderate, experienced. I will say I am not wrong as promoter in wanting a show to be a specific vision and not just Top Tier teams. And I will say that Sulman is not wrong in wanting to have it be a Big Time Show either. But I did make the decision to go with my vision. And this is the reasons why Sulman left. He did a great job getting the word out there. But the vision should have been stated from the beginning.
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
hey about that...lsd applied...nice :)
well, i'm excited about this competition either way. just hitting that stage makes me happy, as a dancer or a dholi. once this dies down a little, we can get over it all.

i would like to see what the other teams bring to this though, i have heard nothing of some of the teams...so, let's do it up!

...i'm down for all this!
 

jvirk

New Member
Messages
889
Jasmeet said:
hey about that...lsd applied...nice :)
well, i'm excited about this competition either way. just hitting that stage makes me happy, as a dancer or a dholi. once this dies down a little, we can get over it all.

i would like to see what the other teams bring to this though, i have heard nothing of some of the teams...so, let's do it up!

...i'm down for all this!
jasmeet..that was very well put! lookin forward to this competition...lets just sreiously start to let this stuff die down now...im down to give anil a chance to run his comp...i kno stuff has happened but lets just see how it works out! continuously bashing/criticizing isn't going to fix ne thing
 

Desi Dhamaka

Desi Dhamaka, Bhangra Allstars, Fusion Faceoff...
Messages
233
thank you Jasmeet and Justin...thats all Im looking for is a chance for us to prove our show will be fine. I dont have any bad feeling or hatred towards anyone. I did in the beginning but truly im over it and im good. And quite honestly I hope down the line I will be able to work with a lot of the teams and of course with Sulman, Saleem, and Hans down the line. And to all the teams that applied. Thank you. Please continue to apply in the future. So please lets just let this go and all work together regardless of what show its for.

Anil
 

Papu

New Member
Messages
23
Anil,

We applied to this competition, why is our team's name not on the list?

Best,
Prabtej
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
there are always people who want to go to a show.
i think amongst people who are on teams and involved in the bhangra community (btf), they know EVERY team that performs places. i think those are the people who make the most out of these competitions. then you have those who go to the bhangra competitions to just see a show.

this competition does have an admirable quality, just a bit not sure about the communication aspect of it. i really do like the whole, transparency they are providing though. it's nice and refreshing.
 

Raashi

New Member
Messages
152
Desi Dhamaka said:
U know if say Panj had applied next year.. I would probably go with VCU. If there was a situation that it came to both of them. And the reason would be because Panj competed this year. This is a hypothetical situation by the way.
whats the point of a try-out video then? if it comes down between two teams, shouldn't competition organizers pick the team that has the better try-out video, since all teams send in their reg forms, fee, and try-out video?
 

Kush

Active Member
Messages
1,401
Just my two cents, I think this competition is an amazing opportunity to see some new talent hit the bhangra scene. Though I can't say denying VCU is smart in any regard, I can understand the idea behind it. Yes, it is great to get to go against a team like VCU to learn (done it twice myself, learned both times), BUT this is also one spot that wouldn't have been available for someone new, or someone less experienced. Perfect example, since we've been talking about league type formats in the sportsmanship thread. This is the Minors, in some regard. Dancers can get their experience, learn competition techniques, and grow on a stage where they are not immediately down some aspect because their team doesn't have a name or a reputation (say what you want, i believe STRONGLY that this makes a difference). I think this is an admirable idea, gutsy, and something that is DEFINITELY NEEDED. Props to you desi dhamaka. Sure, its not fair to upper tier teams, but nowhere in competition applications does it say we're going to take teh BEST TEAMS. It says we will take the teams we like best for OUR COMPETITION. And sulman and saleem, I too understand what you guys were trying to do with this competition, and having a team like VCU present will result in IMMEDIATE credit, and create a legitimate rep for the competition. But i think if these new goals are clearly stated (as they have been after this thread), the legitimacy of this comp, assuming the organization and running is smooth and well done, has been well established, at least in my eyes.

Raashi, the point of a try out video is to see the style, execution, and ability of a team. Sure youre gonna take the better team if you have one that is horrendous, but lets say this was a TV show. You and I both try out, and youre worlds better as an actor than I am. But the part calls for a 5'10 gujarati with spikey hair. They're gonna pick me, assuming i dont suck, because that is what the show is LOOKING for. Same thing for the comp.
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
kush...this tv show you're talking about sucks....

i'll pick raashi over you any day. i've already been with your 5'10 guju ass with spikey hair :)
 

Temurzai

New Member
Messages
397
Jasmeet said:
kush...this tv show you're talking about sucks....

i'll pick raashi over you any day. i've already been with your 5'10 guju ass with spikey hair :)
'i read that as 'ass with spikey hair'

terrible lol
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
Taiym?r said:
Jasmeet said:
kush...this tv show you're talking about sucks....

i'll pick raashi over you any day. i've already been with your 5'10 guju ass with spikey hair :)
'i read that as 'ass with spikey hair'

terrible lol
of course!
 

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,928
Kush/Vick,

There's more to the story than VCU selection.

I've e-mailed with Anil since departing from the competition and I wish him luck with the show.

-Saleem
 
Top